Latest post Sat, Apr 3 2021 11:28 AM by chutharshan. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 31 2021 10:41 AM

Having issue while importing mdb file

Hi 

I am facing an issue while importing mdb file. some clips are impoted as linked media even though all the media files are in mxf in avid media folder and the linked clips stops playing in the middle of the length and it is not playing to the end.i am facing this issue in the last three updates of media composer.i have reinstalled MC twice.is there anything else i could do   

• Wed, Mar 31 2021 1:18 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 783
    • Points 9,970

Re: Having issue while importing mdb file

When you say 'importing', do you actually mean you're going to the source browser and importing this file?

The way I've always done this is is to simply drag this file from a Finder/folder window and dropping it into an empty bin.

This should populate the bin with master clips that exist inside the numbered, Avid Mediafiles folder.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 31 2021 8:46 PM In reply to

Hi Thank you for replying.i usualy do import through source browser it worked fine until it started to happen from three or four updates of MC and i tryed drag and drop mdb file after seeing your reply but there is no change some clips are imported as linked media.is there any settings i could change to solve this.

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 12:41 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 783
    • Points 9,970

Hi

I'm not really understanding your references to importing or linked clips.

So that we're both singing from the same song sheet, I'll summerise what I know about Avid media.

The files that live in /Avid Mediafiles/MXF/1 (or another, numbered folder) have already been imported at some time in the past and are MXF OP Atom files. This would have been done (usually) in Avid, using the Source Browser and would have been directly imported or transcoded from linked rushes. No other types of files should be placed in this folder.

Once created, they live inside this '1' folder. There would also be Master Clips created in an Avid bin during this process which point to these media files. Two files inside this folder (.pmr & .mdb) are also created, which act as the database for the contents. If you import more media files, the database is updated. If you delete these files, Avid will rebuild them.

So, a media file inside this folder will be referenced by one or possibly more master clips in a bin. If you duplicate a master clip, create sub clips or change it's name, it is still referencing the same media file. If you were to remove one media file from it's folder, all master clips and sub clips referencing this media file would go offline.

The trick of dropping the .mdb file into a bin was simply a way of getting the master clips back from a set of media files if you didn't have them - eg. if someone had just given you these files without the associated bin.

So I don't really understand what you're trying to do when you say you are linking to these files.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 2 2021 9:16 AM In reply to

Usualy what i'll do is import footages which are in mov,R3D or any other in davinci resolve and transcode it to MXF OP ATOM (DNXHD36) and move that transcoded files to Numbered folder inside avid media folder.if the numbered folder contain more than 5000 files i'll create new folder if ' 1 ' folder has 5000 files i'll create folder ' 2 ' and after that when i launch avid it will scan the files inside avid media folder and Database(pmr & mdb ) will be created or updated like you said.after that when i import mdb file through source browser usualy bin will populate with media files and i can use it to edit without any problem But from the last Three updates of MC when i import mdb file all the media clips are populating the bin but some clips are populated with AMA link (Linked media ) icon and it is not also random first 15 or so clips will have this AMA link icon every time when i import in this way and it is unusable, meaning it will not play to its full lenght and it will stop playing in the middle.when it happens now  what i am doing is i'll transcode the Rushes to Apple ProRes 422 and Link it to the bin using Source browser and transcode it to DNXHD 36.

i think it is a bug and i dont know where to report it

If there is a solution please let me know 

• Fri, Apr 2 2021 10:29 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 783
    • Points 9,970

Thanks for your reply. I now have a better understanding of your workflow.

What you're doing sounds pretty much the same as I teach to my students, except for importing the mdb file using the Source Browser. In fact, I didn't know you could do it this way, so this is something I'll certainly try out the next time I'm teaching the Resolve/Avid roudtrip workflow.

Have you tried drag-dropping the mdb file as I suggested? To be clear, I mean opening a finder window on top of MC, finding the .mdb file, and literally dragging and dropping it into the Avid bin (click & hold, drag, release). This has always worked for me in the past.

As you say, your method has worked before, so the linked clips (that won't play fully) are a bit of a mystery. One thing to check - did you trim any of the clips you placed on the Resolve timeline before you exported as individual clips? I've had problems in the past when I've done this, so I advise my students to put the whole clip on the Resolve timeline. Have you tried comparing the start-end timecodes of these clips in the Avid bins with what's shown in Resolve?

It's possible your workflow has been upset by some software upgrade. When you have two bits of software involved, tracking down the culprit becomes that much harder.

One other thing I can suggest is creating an ALE (Avid Log Exchange) file from the timeline in Resolve and importing this into Avid. I've found this has some advantages in that it carries more metadata across. For example, if your RED files have Scene and Take info, the ALE will bring this across.

Let me know if you need details on how to do this.

Bruno

• Fri, Apr 2 2021 11:13 AM In reply to

Actually i didnt know we could drag and drop mdb file into the bin after seeing your first reply i tried that but same thing repeats. i am not editing or creating subclips in resolve.i am only using resolve to create mxf file and all the transcoded clips are imported with its full duration.I could even scrub the clips which is imported with linked media icon to its full length using mouse but unable to set IN and OUT mark or play beyond the point it stops playing automaticaly. Every time when i click play or Try to set IN and OUT Marks Beyond the Position where it stops playing automaticaly the Position Indicator jumps to the same Position where it stops playing.

Do you know where i could report this as bug.

Thanks for your reply 

• Fri, Apr 2 2021 11:25 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 783
    • Points 9,970

Yes, that is weird behaviour and something I've not experienced before.

You can open a support ticket with Avid.

Sometimes Ralph or Marianna will read these posts and set up a case number for you.

Usually, they like it when more than one person has experienced the same issue.

• Sat, Apr 3 2021 11:28 AM In reply to

ya its a first for me too.i'll Raise a support ticket & I hope it will be solved in future updates

Thank You. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller