Latest post Sat, Mar 27 2021 8:10 PM by Telegram!. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 27 2021 3:20 PM

• GaryF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2012
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,305

Music Video or Musical editing technique ? MC v Premiere Pro

Hi Gang

I am doing a feature length musical in a few months (La La Land, Chicago esque) and am refining my work flow. There will be about 7 musical numbers. I recently cut a music video on Adobe Premiere Pro (ugh) where it was reasonably simple to create a rather large multi camera sequence which essentially acts as a very big grouped clip and allows keyboard mapping of the shots etc. etc. . See https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/premiere-pro/how-to/edit-music-video.html and watch the movies there. it is quite simple. This stuf on the Avid forum doesn't match up sadly https://community.avid.com/forums/t/100731.aspx

Please look at the Adobe link especially the second movie. You can sellect all the takes in your bins of a song and your master music and select "create multi camera source sequence" What this does is analyze all the wave forms and sinks every take into a sunc sequence with as many video tracks as needed. MOS stuff can be added on top of this. Once that is done you select "make sequence for clip" and it gives you a sequence with all the various video takes nested nicely in one video track. It is essentially a great big group clip. From there you do your typical add edit and trim mode type of editing as you would in Avid. If you need to ammend your sequence and add more stuff that is easy also. As I said previousy you can map the shots or groups of shots to your keyboard. I see this as a perfect editing workflow for a musical but do not want to use premiere pro. I am an Avid Editor please help me do the equivalent on Media Composer and heck i bet with an vocals only track i could use scriptsync and phrase find.

I want to do this in Avid how do I do it ? Please note the internet is bursting at the seams with how to do stuff on all the Adobe products, not so much for Avid. It is often a real chore to find a video on how to do something on Avid. Youtube is swimming with Premiere stuff. 

Thanks

Gary

• Sat, Mar 27 2021 3:29 PM In reply to

Re: Music Video or Musical editing technique ? MC v Premiere Pro

It sounds like multicam is what you want. If you have a bunch of different angles of a musical performance (or any other performance), you can group them together and then cut between them on the fly using the keyboard, much like you would if it was a live performance and you were using a switcher. Is that what you're looking for? If so, yes, you can do that in Media Composer.

Media Composer 2021.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Mar 27 2021 5:43 PM In reply to

• GaryF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2012
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,305

Hi Carl thanks for your reply. Based on your answer I editied my initial post. Take a look if you want and watch the adobe link I included in my post especially the second movie. It is really quite interesting. I have done multicam music editing so I know what you are refering to. This is not the answer I think. Thanks for your note.

Gary

• Sat, Mar 27 2021 6:40 PM In reply to

Hi Gary,

There's a few different ways to handle Multicam and Group Clips in MC. I'm not at all an expert on this, but that second video from Premiere you are referring to seems to be 99.9% the same as Grouping multiple clips inside MC, based on Waveform sync, then use the Group Clip in a sequence and multicam cut it.

Now perhaps I am totally missing the point of the video you linked to, but the first step this video takes would basically be called 'Group Clip', the 'audio' button in Premiere is called 'sync by waveform' in MC. 

Have you seen this?  https://moviola.com/technique/the-big-multi-cam-editing-update-to-avid-media-composer-2018-12/

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 27 2021 8:10 PM In reply to

Note: I believe there may be a Multicam-related feature or two unavailable on MC First... check out the comparison chart.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller