Latest post Thu, Sep 22 2022 8:40 PM by camoscato. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 29 2022 4:16 PM In reply to

Re: Media composer freezing after switiching tabs...

TIMETOFILM:

Hi Phillip! Currently on a 128GB RAM system, after trying to have the video cache memory on different settings  from 90GB to 60GB to 8GB, the problem remains the same.

Try 2021.3 - See if you can narrow the issue down to 2021.12 

Also do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vJhAtMS2Y

If you can't figure it out, You should create a case on the MyAvid support portal and someone will get to you asap. https://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact  If you don't get anywhere with them, send an email to Raff Condalor (raff.condalor@avid.com).  He is Avid's customer advocate, and can help you.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Tue, Mar 29 2022 7:59 PM In reply to

Hi Phillip, thank you for your feedback. I've been experiencing this issue since forever, whatever the version matrix number. We have actually been hoping for this to be fixed with each update :(

I also did try rebuilding site settings with no success

I will follow your advice and contacts you gave me, thank you very much indeed and have a beautiful day πŸ™

• Thu, Apr 7 2022 6:52 PM In reply to

• svaughan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 7 2022
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

i ALSO have this issue, even on a brand new machine with Avid as a fresh install. Specs are very high 256GB of RAM, RTX 6000 Quadro, CPU is a 10980XE....pretty fast...

• Fri, Apr 8 2022 2:22 PM In reply to

TIMETOFILM:

Hi Phillip, thank you for your feedback. I've been experiencing this issue since forever, whatever the version matrix number. We have actually been hoping for this to be fixed with each update :(

I also did try rebuilding site settings with no success

I will follow your advice and contacts you gave me, thank you very much indeed and have a beautiful day πŸ™

Hi,

I wonder if you’ve resolved this issue with Avid support? If you have, could you post your solution here for the benefit of other users experiencing the same problem?

My solution was to play with the “Media Cache” setting.

Thanks

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sun, Apr 10 2022 12:52 PM In reply to

I know that problem since 2018.x until now 2021.12 on my Notebook DELL Precision 7520 (4 other AVIDs are fine). My solutions:

1. Simple solution: Just unplug network connection

2. In my case the notebook was the only AVID with a network drive. This network drive is mostly offline (only for watching movies). If I Power On the Movie PC everything is fine.

I think everytime you switching back to MC, the software will scan all available drives and hang up at the offline network drive. So, have a look at your Windows Explorer if you have offline network drives. Probably NAS could be a problem too. Maybe try power on or power off all NAS.

By the way: Other troubles will be solved with that solutions too, like long MC start (e.g. delay at "AMADeviceMonitor.avx). 

• Sun, Apr 10 2022 8:04 PM In reply to

Thanks for posting this! 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Mon, Apr 11 2022 3:45 PM In reply to

stevie from hamburg:

I know that problem since 2018.x until now 2021.12 on my Notebook DELL Precision 7520 (4 other AVIDs are fine). My solutions:

1. Simple solution: Just unplug network connection

2. In my case the notebook was the only AVID with a network drive. This network drive is mostly offline (only for watching movies). If I Power On the Movie PC everything is fine.

I think everytime you switching back to MC, the software will scan all available drives and hang up at the offline network drive. So, have a look at your Windows Explorer if you have offline network drives. Probably NAS could be a problem too. Maybe try power on or power off all NAS.

By the way: Other troubles will be solved with that solutions too, like long MC start (e.g. delay at "AMADeviceMonitor.avx). 

OMG!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS ANSWER! It's been years we were suffering with this, without any clue about how to fix it!! God bless you!!

Philip Kapadia:

Hi,

I wonder if you’ve resolved this issue with Avid support? If you have, could you post your solution here for the benefit of other users experiencing the same problem?

My solution was to play with the “Media Cache” setting.

Thanks

hi Phillip!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, actually I didn't find a solution until the miracle post from our friend Stevie from Hamburg above (God bless him and his family for thousands generations to come) 

Well, it had been Years we've been totally helpless with this. I have a feeling this is something Avid definitely needs to put in the priority list to address in the next updates, it is absolutely not normal, the software shouldn't scan for media drives (network or not) each time you click "away" from it, it is just totally unjustified, no other program does that (sorry to quote again the competitors Adobe and Da Vinci) that's terrible coding in my views and even more terrible to be left without a clue about how to fix it as Stevie finally said, which is actually not a fix, because we need to disconnect offline network drives prior to using the software... Again, no other software asks for such a move before using it. Please Avid address this ASAP. We were really going to abandon editing on media composer just for this... 

thank you Phillip for trying to help and thank you again Stevie ! 

• Tue, Apr 12 2022 12:14 PM In reply to

Too much compliments. I will tell it my next thousands generations ;-). But thank you for feedback and good to hear that I can help you.

It is probably not so much easy for AVID because of Shared Storage like NEXIS. I know postproduction companys with more than 30 AVID stations. This are the places where AVID earns money for expensive Media Composer Standard or Enterprise Support (Shared Storage not working with cheap subscriptions) and more than 1.000 EUR for Support for EACH NEXIS module every year.

It is always a bit tricky in that enviroments because with PC you have to less drive letters. It is a lot of mounting and unmounting network drives over the day. So always scanning network drives is maybe neccessary. If you will count each AVID computer all around the world maybe more of them running in Shared Storage enviroments.

BUT: If you are counting just only customers, doesn't matter if they have 1 or 100 AVID stations, I'm pretty sure that more than 90% will NOT work with Shared Storage. Maybe it is an easy solution for AVID to add in the MC "Open Project" Window a checkbox, where you can deactivate Shared Storage to avoid network drive scanning? Just an idea . . . 

• Tue, Apr 12 2022 12:20 PM In reply to

Hey haha please pass on the compliments to the next generations πŸ˜‚

that is a very nice suggestion indeed, anyway o have a feeling this needs to be addressed! You can't imagine the time lost without a solution it has been crazy !

• Wed, Apr 13 2022 2:20 PM In reply to

TIMETOFILM:

that is a very nice suggestion indeed, anyway o have a feeling this needs to be addressed! You can't imagine the time lost without a solution it has been crazy !

Hi, 

I wonder if you could email chris.bove@avid.com 

Send him a link to this thread and tell him this:

TIMETOFILM:

I have a feeling this is something Avid definitely needs to put in the priority list to address in the next updates, it is absolutely not normal, the software shouldn't scan for media drives (network or not) each time you click "away" from it

He can forward this on Smile

Editing Movie Magic.

• Wed, Apr 13 2022 9:49 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

TIMETOFILM:

Hi, 

I wonder if you could email chris.bove@avid.com 

Send him a link to this thread and tell him this:

TIMETOFILM:

I have a feeling this is something Avid definitely needs to put in the priority list to address in the next updates, it is absolutely not normal, the software shouldn't scan for media drives (network or not) each time you click "away" from it

He can forward this on Smile

Hi Philip! I just did ;)

all the best to you!

• Thu, Apr 14 2022 8:36 AM In reply to

Likewise Yes

Editing Movie Magic.

• Thu, Sep 22 2022 8:40 PM In reply to

stevie from hamburg:
    I know that problem...

Thank you stevie from hamburg!! In my case it was a wireless printer on the same network that had been switched off, causing the 'hang while the computer looks for the missing network drive' problem. You saved me hours of troubleshooting!

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller