Latest post Tue, Apr 6 2021 7:14 PM by smyers63. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 21 2021 11:24 PM

Media composer freezing after switiching tabs...

Hi all,

Media composer locks up and freezes for about 20 seconds when I change tab - from media composer to chrome then back to media composer for example.

This is the first time I'm getting this issue, I'm not quite sure what's caused it!

Any ideas as to what could be causing this... or is it normal for mc to freeze for a while you change back to it? 

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 22 2021 2:32 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Media composer freezing after switiching tabs...

Before anything else, try restarting the system if you haven't already tried that.  Windows can get strange sometimes when it's been running for a long enough time without a restart.

Have there been any changes to the system around the time this started, whether automatic updates or something you've added/removed, or something you've changed settings on?  If you have Windows Update set for automatic updates, check the update history for anything with a relevant date.  You can try undoing any that might have caused it.  Some might not be possible to undo but it's worth looking.  It's possible Chrome was updated in the background, too, before this started so check its install date in Apps.

With those things done and the answers known, we can go from there.

Scott

• Mon, Mar 22 2021 5:02 PM In reply to

Thank you, restarting is one of the first things I do - that unfortunatley didn't work.

I tried creating a new user profile, The issue persists.

I tried updating my video drivers, the issue persists. 

What seems to work (for now) is lowering my video cache settings to around 8GB which should be enough, then media composer uses about 80% of my ram instead of 90% like before. I have 32 gigs in total. 

If this issue comes back, I'll re-install MC.

Just out of interest, do you switch tabs and multitask with MC open in the background? Is that asking for trouble? 

• Mon, Mar 22 2021 9:20 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865

I do swiitch to other applications sometimes with MC running and don't have problems with MC not responding.  There's not a reason I'm aware of to avoid doing that other than that you're having that trouble.

Were any Windows Updates installed between the time things were OK and the time you started having this trouble?

Instead of reinstalling MC, you could try using the repair function in Windows.  Go to Settings-Apps and click on Avid Media Composer.  Click Advanced Options, then click the Repair button.  If Advanced Options isn't available, click the Start button and type "control panel."  Click on Control Panel when it appears in the search list.  Click on Programs and Features in the control panel.  Click Avid Media Composer, then in the list heading click Repair.

Scott

• Mon, Mar 22 2021 9:25 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865

You could also see if you have a system restore point that would take the system back to before the problem started.

Scott

• Mon, Mar 22 2021 10:16 PM In reply to

smyers63:

You could also see if you have a system restore point that would take the system back to before the problem started.

Thank you, I don't think there was an update - I can't see anything in update history. For now it's sorted, but I'll get back here if it arises again. I think it might have been the cache settings, MC was using about 95% of my ram which is far to high. I've had it set like this for a long time though, so I don't really know what could've triggered it now... it's down to about 85% now and as far as I can see, there isn't an issue anymore. Anyway - Thanks for your help again. 

• Tue, Mar 23 2021 12:37 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865

You're welcome.  Just to be clear in case you run into something like it again, a system restore point will reverse more changes than undoing something from Windows Update.  They're separate processes.

I'm glad things are OK for now and certainly do get back in touch if you need anything.  For the same problem, just reply to this thread.

Scott

• Tue, Apr 6 2021 5:35 PM In reply to

I'm having this same exact issue and wonder if it's due to also being on an AMD system. Other than this one issue (which is substantial if you need to tab around looking at scripts etc) everything else runs great with MC.

I've tried everything as mentioned above and a whole lot more. I wonder if my mother board is the issue. Had I figured this all out before my return window was up I probably would have opted for an i9 but at least tried another mobo in the meantime. 

Last week I reinstalled WIN10 and was using a versions of MC2021 with 0 issues then I scaled back to 2018.12.15 for the current long term project I was on and had 0 issues on Friday. Yesterday I start up, tab out of avid, try to go back into it but have to wait 10+ seconds for things to catch up.

I'm very disappointed.

Specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X

64GB Ram running at 3200 

GeForce RTX 2070 Super 461.72 driver

MC 2018.12.15 

Was Running MacDrive now using Paragon for HFS drives

• Tue, Apr 6 2021 6:00 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865

I've done some searching and found this thread that might be helpful.  There are probably more things that could cause this than we might imagine.

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/129459.aspx

After reading this regarding AMA, I wonder if the problem you've each had might be related to using the source browser or leaving it open when switching between applications.  I seem to remember having a similar problem myself that had something to do with the source browser.  It was a long time ago so it only came to mind after reading that other thread.

Scott

• Tue, Apr 6 2021 6:33 PM In reply to

ChuckBronson:

I'm having this same exact issue and wonder if it's due to also being on an AMD system. Other than this one issue (which is substantial if you need to tab around looking at scripts etc) everything else runs great with MC.

I've tried everything as mentioned above and a whole lot more. I wonder if my mother board is the issue. Had I figured this all out before my return window was up I probably would have opted for an i9 but at least tried another mobo in the meantime. 

Last week I reinstalled WIN10 and was using a versions of MC2021 with 0 issues then I scaled back to 2018.12.15 for the current long term project I was on and had 0 issues on Friday. Yesterday I start up, tab out of avid, try to go back into it but have to wait 10+ seconds for things to catch up.

I'm very disappointed.

Specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X

64GB Ram running at 3200 

GeForce RTX 2070 Super 461.72 driver

MC 2018.12.15 

Was Running MacDrive now using Paragon for HFS drives

As I say, tinkering with the media cache settings worked for me. It seems like a bug? 

• Tue, Apr 6 2021 6:35 PM In reply to

Hey smyers63,

Thanky you for the link to that other article, unfortuntately that also did not work for me. It might be time to first order another Mother Board to see what's what. it's a shame since everything else in Avid works without any issue though I've noticed some peculiar things outside of Avid so I'm not sure what to make of all of this.

• Tue, Apr 6 2021 7:14 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865

The versions of MC that have been released over the last year or two use much more memory than the earlier versions.  Having other applications open at the same time under these conditions is likely not leaving MC "enough" RAM (it wants just about all you have these days even if you've added more).  I couldn't add RAM to the system I was using some time ago and the only way I could use newer versions of MC was to increase the virtual memory a lot.  Even though I could use the newer MC versions there were still frequent and long lags and that wasn't unexpected as I was on virtual memory.

Even with a newer system and more RAM, I still have lags at times depending on which MC version I'm using.  My systems aren't Avid-certified/qualified so I go back to an earlier version if I'm having too many slowdowns (not suggesting that for anyone else but that's what I do when necessary).

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller