Latest post Fri, Mar 5 2021 8:43 AM by camoscato. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 4 2021 8:17 AM

For those of us who use QT and QT reference

I have read many posts on workflows and am confused as to why moving away from QT and QT reference leads to such complicated workflows. For years I have simply imported MP4s, edited and then output as a QT reference to TMPGe to create the final MP4.  The question now, what is the easiest way to import MP4s and when ready, send the sequence out to make a MP4 for delivery.  Appreciate that the software can now do 64 bit 8k etc. but feel that for many of us not creating Hollywood feature films, the process has gotten harder and longer when not using QT.  Thanks in advance. 

• Thu, Mar 4 2021 10:50 AM In reply to

Re: For those of us who use QT and QT reference

You can still import if you want to, but linking and transcoding are much faster. They were added to the software later, so they take advantage of newer processor capabilities.

Lance Rubin:
    For years I have simply imported MP4s, edited and then output as a QT reference to TMPGe to create the final MP4.  The question now, what is the easiest way to import MP4s and when ready, send the sequence out to make a MP4 for delivery.

It depends on what version of Media Composer you're using. In v2021.2, at the bottom of the export settings there is an option called 'MP4'. 

If any part of linking and transcoding or exporting aren't working for you, reply to this thread with your system specifications (look at the bottom of this post for an example) and a description of what part of the process isn't working, and we can help.

Media Composer 2021.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Mar 4 2021 12:16 PM In reply to

Quote camoscato:
    It depends on what version of Media Composer you're using. In v2021.2, at the bottom of the export settings there is an option called 'MP4'.

I have MC 2021.2. I cannot find the export setting "MP4" (I created my own one).

MB: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate. CPU: Intel Eight Core i9-9900K/3600 16MB Cache, SATA Hard Disks Raid (2x4 TB), GPU 1200MHz. GC: Gainward RTX2080 Super... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 4 2021 2:54 PM In reply to

Roland Achini:
    I have MC 2021.2. I cannot find the export setting "MP4"

After you select 'Output > Export to File...', click on the button that says 'Options' at the bottom of the 'Export As...' dialog box. In the 'Export Settings' box, click on the drop-down menu at the top next to 'Export As:'. You should see it there.

Media Composer 2021.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Mar 4 2021 9:40 PM In reply to

I am willing to transcode, but would ask what specific settings you use?  What should my target video resolution be if I am in the 1920x1080 world?  Follow up question is once I am ready to send the sequence to TMPGe and I am no longer sending as a QT reference, what settings do I now use to let TMPGe create the best quality MP4?  

For those of us who originally worked on Moviolas and created audio fade outs by scraping the film, times have changed.

• Fri, Mar 5 2021 7:31 AM In reply to

Thank you, camoscato!

MB: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate. CPU: Intel Eight Core i9-9900K/3600 16MB Cache, SATA Hard Disks Raid (2x4 TB), GPU 1200MHz. GC: Gainward RTX2080 Super... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 5 2021 8:43 AM In reply to

Lance Rubin:
    I am willing to transcode, but would ask what specific settings you use?  What should my target video resolution be if I am in the 1920x1080 world?

Do you have a delivery specification to follow? If not, what is the file going to be used for?

Lance Rubin:
    Follow up question is once I am ready to send the sequence to TMPGe and I am no longer sending as a QT reference, what settings do I now use to let TMPGe create the best quality MP4?

If you use Avid to make the MP4 (see screenshot above), you don't have to use TMPGe to make the MP4.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller