Latest post Sat, Jan 23 2021 6:56 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 22 2021 6:54 PM

• RedR0se
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 22 2021
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

Fundamental, new user, MC question.

Hi

I’m a new user of Media Composer and I have a fundamental – though probably stupid – question.

I usually work with Premiere, which is based on a link system and enables to create proxies. I understood that Media Composer works a different way (it’s an importing and transcoding system), and the “link” option is quite recent and unadapted/unoptimised for MC.

Here is my question : I have imported a heavy RAW file and transcoded it in a dirty quality (low-quality DNx) for editing. When I get to export it, how do I get back my clip’s original quality ? When I worked on Premiere, I only had to switch a button to get from the proxy to the original clip – how can I restore my clip’s original quality on Media Composer ? 

Do I have to transcode it in a very high quality knowing that I wouldn’t have anything else to export ?

Sorry for this basic question, but this software makes me reconsider everything I have learned !

Thank you in advance, Leo.

• Fri, Jan 22 2021 10:31 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montréal, Canada
    • Posts 454
    • Points 5,950

Re: Fundamental, new user, MC question.

Here ia a succinct video that explains the linking/relinking process as best I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKaK397eVLI

Avid's offline workflow is more complex and labour-intensive on than Premiere's, but I have found that, depending on your system specs and specific format, creating proxy media may not be absolutely necessary. When working with greater than HD rasters, switching to Proxy *mode* in the Settings tab may be enough to work with and may spare you the whole proxy creation step altogether. Avid will simply play back a reduced-resolution version of your clips on the fly without rendering new media.

Good luck!

Avid Media Composer 2021.2 Symphony option, Blackmagic Design UltraStudio 4K Mini (Desktop Video Application v12.0), macOS 11.2.1, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 23 2021 5:33 PM In reply to

• RedR0se
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 22 2021
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

jdrouette:

Here ia a succinct video that explains the linking/relinking process as best I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKaK397eVLI

Avid's offline workflow is more complex and labour-intensive on than Premiere's, but I have found that, depending on your system specs and specific format, creating proxy media may not be absolutely necessary. When working with greater than HD rasters, switching to Proxy *mode* in the Settings tab may be enough to work with and may spare you the whole proxy creation step altogether. Avid will simply play back a reduced-resolution version of your clips on the fly without rendering new media.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the video. I understand now. What a software ! haha

• Sat, Jan 23 2021 6:56 PM In reply to

Editing directly with linked media is fine if it a quick turn around job. But it's not as robust. You can easily get media offline clips. 

So for longer form work it's a big advantage to transcode to to Avid managed media.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller