Latest post Tue, Feb 2 2021 10:00 PM by jef. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 22 2021 6:19 PM

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Posts 1,192
    • Points 14,775

Best AS11 interlaced output workflow from progressive?

Sorry - just a bit rusty on interlaced AND haven't shot any for over 10 years!  Wondering how Avid handles it internally? My workflow for broadcast has generally been work in progressive from progressive media, full render, switch to interlaced, pop on a legalizer and export AS11.  I've always taken it that the legalizer render effectively gives Avid a chance to make everything interlaced (even though the fields will be identical). Where I get actual interlaced media in to include in my progressive edit I always remove any modifiers Avid auto puts on it as its better that it wil be proper interlaced for output (no need to de-interlace it and then re-interlace it). TV channels work solidly in interlaced so this issue doesn't really crop up when i'm there - you work in what you are told!  Any internal workings/better workflow explanations most welcome :-)

Symphony 2018.12.10, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K4200, Asus X99-A Mobo, i7 5820K 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 array @ 450Mbs

• Sat, Jan 23 2021 2:45 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 747
    • Points 9,425

Re: Best AS11 interlaced output workflow from progressive?

You may need to check the technical requirements to find out if it's acceptable to use all progressive material in your edit and just switch to interlaced for output.

For example, the UK BBC specs have the following....

'HD programmes may be originated with either interlaced or progressive scan' 

but...

'HD and SD projects must be set to export progressively shot material as interlaced. Electronically
    generated moving graphics and effects (such as rollers, DVE moves, wipes, fades and dissolves)
    must be generated and added as interlaced to prevent unacceptable judder.

So, although it's fine to shoot progressive, you have to have any effects as interlaced. This would include rollers and any graphics/VFX that were created externally.

UHD programme requirements are somewhat different.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 1 2021 4:33 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,192
    • Points 14,775

Thanks Bruno .  We all switch to interlaced for rollers or crawlers I'm sure (drives me crazy watching these judder at home when not done)!  However I cant say I request 3d party animated graphics as interlaced renders. Linking to this would pop a temporal effect in my progressive timeline of course to make it progressive.  Will Avid auto remove it if its rendered under other layer when I switch to interlaced?  Still trying to see how it thinks...

Symphony 2018.12.10, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K4200, Asus X99-A Mobo, i7 5820K 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 array @ 450Mbs

• Mon, Feb 1 2021 5:05 PM In reply to

As long as you render everything after the project is set to interlaced you should be fine. 

I'd take care not to push for some interlaced content if the bulk of the content is progressive.

Cutting between interlaced and progressive is visually objectionable and would trigger QC issues. Interlaced for fades effects and titles looks better than progressive often does. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Feb 2 2021 6:57 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,192
    • Points 14,775

Thanks Pat.  I think the finishing is quite manual and needs due diligence on sources to overide Avid temporal modifiers a lot to maintain the best final output.  I think I conclude that I WILL render anything progressive in a progressive project but will not allow render of interlaced clips in a progressive project - ahh but then that cross fade from P clip to i clip ?!!!  Remove all renders I guess and switch to i - nasty on a multi layered heavy render project...

• Tue, Feb 2 2021 10:00 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,826
    • Points 45,830

EDIT:  I see others answered basically as I did while I was typing!!!

That is a pretty solid workflow.  But I have one sort of big difference.  And it follows my "Start at the end and work backwards" mantra.

If I know I am going to only deliver Interlace, I work in an Interlace sequence IF the sources are the same frame rate as the deliverable.   The exception is when I am working on a project that I know needs a Progressive deliverable (for the web) as well as a Interlace deliverable.  In that case my sequences will be Progressive.

The reason for an Interlace master sequence is effects processing.  In an Interlace sequence a DVE push in will be process in fields and will look smoother than on processed in a Progressive sequence where the push is process in frames.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller