Latest post Fri, Jan 22 2021 4:04 PM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 22 2021 2:09 PM

• Pintura
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 10 2021
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Restoring backup of Avid MediaFiles

Hi everyone!

My RAID media Disk was about to fail. Fortunately I managed to backup all the media files before doing a long formatting of the RAID disk (By the way, the RAID disk is working properly now).

I started Media Composer once all the Avid MediaFiles were copied back to the RAID disk.  Avid started reindexing files normally until it found an "unsuitable" file in folder 3. Avid put it in quarantine and after a while it froze.  I waited for a long time but there was no progress. I then moved the "wrong" files out of the Avid MediaFies folder and Avid loaded normally, but some projects now have media misssing. So Media Composer could not see all the restored media files. Davinci Resolve does not see the "wrong" files either.

The funny thing is that an older backup has copies of some of those "wrong" files. I mean exact copies, same name, same date, same size. Both Avid and Resolve can see those exact copies included in the older backup. 

Unfortunately about 400 GB of mxf files of the recent backup are not included in the older backup.  Is there any way of recovering those files without having to re - import them from the camera files?    Maybe a Windows permission, attribute, security issue. Probably something went wrong while making the recent backup?

Thanks very much for your help.

Media Composer 2018.4

Windows 7

HP 420, 32 GB, Radeon RX 480.  RAID O Media Disk

HP 420 Windows 7 32GB SSD Disk as sytem disk, RAID 0 as Media Disk RADEON RX 480 XT GPU HP Omen Laptop Windows 10 16GB SSD Sisk as system disk, 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 22 2021 4:04 PM In reply to

Re: Restoring backup of Avid MediaFiles

My guess would be either the bakup recovery has corrupted the files (so re trying may help)

Or the the files were damaged by the failing RAID and you have backedup damaged files (no hope there)

I'd restore the lasted backup. The restore the older backup and let it overwrite files.

Then let Avid re-index. Anything that is quarantined is probably a lost cause and will need to be re-ingested.

You can get an MD5 creation tool and use that to make MD5 checksums of files and then compare theose MD5 checksums. My guess is they will differ showing later copies of files are different (corrupt)

Also are you confident the RAID failure is rectified? Did a drive fail and get replaced.

A corrupt format may come good with a reformat but if underlying that is another issue you may have just bought some time.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller