Latest post Fri, Jan 22 2021 9:26 AM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 22 2021 1:25 AM

A Victorian Time Traveller (Re: Squeeze)

Hi,

I've been using Avid since 2005 but for various reasons not touched it in a couple of years. 

Upon recent return like some kind of Victorian time traveller I've found the changes quite bewildering. 

Foremost, Sorenson Squeeze is now dead? 

There's a lively archive here about alternatives so will research but my question is:

Can MC now do its own transcoding? 

I ask because the old MC was notoriously incapable of decent compression hence the need to export to Squeeze. 

But recently in a suite the editor blithely exported straight out of Avid for broadcast - something I'd never seen before. 

If so, what's the workflow? 

Or did I imagine it? 

Thanks in advance. There may be a  few more Victorian traveller enquiries before this is through...

Jon

• Fri, Jan 22 2021 8:31 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,816
    • Points 68,255

Re: A Victorian Time Traveller (Re: Squeeze)

Yes Squeeze is EOL, and recent versions of MC have a new engine and can export without using QuickTime. Same workflow as before, You just have to pick the proper options.

Symphony 20.12, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jan 22 2021 8:34 AM In reply to

Hi and welcome back,

There are new export options; it's up to your judgement whether or not they are good enough for your needs. If not, Shutter Encoder is a good free compression program.

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jan 22 2021 9:26 AM In reply to

Jon the export for Broadcast was probably (if UK based) A DPP AS-11 export which Avid lead the way in supporting and its very robust. You do have to understand about DPP AS-11 files and how to prepare your timeline and the export choies you need to make (I Teach this) but its a very common process now.

Like wise the new MOV or MP4 export options are much faster and handle H264 and DNx in a stright forward manner.

Things have moved along.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller