Latest post Tue, Feb 1 2022 7:03 PM by Job ter Burg. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 22 2020 9:10 AM

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,358
    • Points 15,430

Support renewal time...

So it's £380 ($385 via videoguys) to renew support for another year and £308 ($299) to cross grade to an annual subscription.

The 'support' is effectively an annual subscription anyway, and I can see that the cross grade only buys one year at the discounted rate (to encourage folks off the perpetual license?)

So what to do? Fact is that Productions has made Premiere much more usable, so I've been on that much more recently. I'm minded to let support lapse, stick with whatever Avid version is current, and think that I can always rent by the month/year if I ever need to get back on the horse.

Anything I'll lose by doing that? 

• Sun, Nov 22 2020 9:40 AM In reply to

Re: Support renewal time...

I think on a monthly subscription you always have to use the latest version and not an earlier version..

I'm happpy to be corrected if that;s not true.

40 MC 2021.12 x Mostly PC Terrablock ISIS 1000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 22 2020 12:48 PM In reply to

im in the same head space at the moment. I too have the perpetual licence but im wondering if i just draw a line under it and let it lapse leaving me with the current version. I dont really want to get into the subscription model and never actually own something. 

I reciently purchased Resolve 16 studio as as my grading choice and im thinking for what I actually do it might be a no brainer to work between that and my current avid version moving forward. Resolves edit side is much better than earlier versions for shorter non collabrative server based jobs. 

All depends on what your bread and butter is really. 

On a side note i feel Avid would like nothing more than to grt all those on the perpetual to jump ship and crossgrade which would suit their business model much better. The perpetual has been getting higher and higher so there will have to be a point that it just gets priced out as too expencive year on year. 

*****Stay Tuned***** [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 22 2020 2:02 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 873
    • Points 11,290

I would say Avid's support is real support unlike some other subscription software and very thorough and helpful when needed. For me I think it's a small cost to pay, in the scheme of things for keeping current. Do I like it? Not entirely because these subscription models are for the benefit of shareholders more than customers - regular balance sheet income. But Avid go the extra mile to make that also benefit the customer too, and there have been many great developments: Prores/Raw on Windows, IMF ACES etc that have made me glad I did renew. They have no option than this business model today sadly and fortunately they seem to be working hard for us to live with it the best we can.

Having said all that I too have DR Studio and see it as hand in glove with MC - I would never willingly surrender my perpetual licence. I would not cross-grade, since effectively, with Symphony option, I already own Ultimate minus Phrasefind and Scriptsync. If I was hard up now and believe me I have been, I would, as the op, hang on to perpetual and rent going forward if I needed some new feature and getting the work depended on it, even if that meant uninstalling my last perpetual current version for a while. Bearing in mind though that most facilities in the UK are still on 2018, this may not even be necessary either.

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 22 2020 5:59 PM In reply to

Trevor,

At first the cross grade was offering a yearly renewed subscription at a reduced price for the period of 2 years total.

So the first year and the second year you would get a discount. After that you would pay the normal price anybody pays for a yearly subscription (media composer ultimate) license. Not a bad deal IMHO. At this moment I only see the same offer for the period of 1 year.

The 'big' unknown is not knowing what the subscription price will be in 1 years time. And here lies the trick, with subscription you have a brick wall deadline to choose to stay subscribed, regardless subscription price, or loose your ability to use MC all together. Perpetual allows you to use that current version for decades to come.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Nov 26 2020 9:39 AM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Posts 1,283
    • Points 15,830

I too hate any 'pay forever' software model but compared to a 'pay forever' accounting package (which I really disllike!) paying the far more complex product Avid sub has been acceptable.  Last two support cases have been a bit poor and too email based -  taking ages when you need help the most though.  Gave up on the email back and forth last time... Definitely worth a ponder...

Ultimate 2022.12.1, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, WIN 11 on 7000Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Asus Pro Art Z690 i9 12900k 5.0 GHz, 8TB M.2 SSD - its nippy!

• Mon, Nov 30 2020 4:04 AM In reply to

TrevorA:

So it's £380 ($385 via videoguys) to renew support for another year and £308 ($299) to cross grade to an annual subscription.

The 'support' is effectively an annual subscription anyway, and I can see that the cross grade only buys one year at the discounted rate (to encourage folks off the perpetual license?)

It's a questionable pricing 'strategy' by Avid - who, I acknowlege, can apply price-points as and how they like.

At least you're not trying to 'renew support' for a perpetual licence that lapsed two or so years ago. You can't actually 'renew support' for an expired licence; you have to buy a brand-new one for $1500

I am struggling to understand why Avid has elected to treat customers in such a heavy-handed manner. In my opinion, the cost of renewing a lapsed support plan should equate to the cost, or thereabouts, of a 'subscription' for the lapsed period i.e. my support period ended in June 2018, ergo my renewal, today, would be around $700 (29-months subscription cost). Even the additional annual 'perpetual' price-differential 'gouge' would work-out cheaper.

The aforementioned pro-rata 'renewal' model would both keep the 'subscription model' and the 'perpetual licence' renewers subscribers happy because there's no 'free ride' for someone such as I - I'd be paying the very same dues that each had paid during the lapsed period.

No doubt there may be replies to this post that point-out peripheral issues; but it's the proposed 'model' that is significantly-more equitable for former customers who didn't necessarily have 'the readies' to renew their 'support' period in the (less-than generous) period of 'grace'.

• Mon, Nov 30 2020 2:00 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,896
    • Points 259,770
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

camx-media:

On a side note i feel Avid would like nothing more than to grt all those on the perpetual to jump ship and crossgrade which would suit their business model much better. The perpetual has been getting higher and higher so there will have to be a point that it just gets priced out as too expencive year on year. 

camx-media....

The perpetual has changed once.  The price pre 2020 was $299 and that price for a year of upgrades and support was the same price for over 5 years and never changed even in light of the development costs to add the features and functionality in the backend of the software which is being used today.  The price jumped once to $399 and has been the same since July 2019. So getting higher and higher is not a fair assesment.  Plus with that comes the ownership of the license and if you break it down its. better deal than a cross to sub which long term costs more.

My 2 cents

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 30 2020 2:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,896
    • Points 259,770
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

DIESELE:

I too hate any 'pay forever' software model but compared to a 'pay forever' accounting package (which I really disllike!) paying the far more complex product Avid sub has been acceptable.  Last two support cases have been a bit poor and too email based -  taking ages when you need help the most though.  Gave up on the email back and forth last time... Definitely worth a ponder...

Diesele....

this to me is very concerning.... you have my email and if you ever have to wait or dont get what you need, email me. The only way I can fix and educate the support arm is if I know there is a problem.  Now in a perfect world they would respond straight away but humans are in the loop so i need to know so I can fix it.

email me... everyone does and i will assist and bump around a few heads to ensure it doesnt happen again.

Best to you...

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 30 2020 2:10 PM In reply to

• Arnoud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 6 2015
    • Kwant
    • Posts 51
    • Points 590

No, you can download en install older versions.

Arnoud

PC with Intel i9-7920X 2.90 Ghz processor, 64 Gb RAM, Nvidia Geforce 2080ti GPU, running Windows 10 Pro and Macbook Pro M1 (16 inch, 2021) running MacOS... [view my complete system specs]

Avid editor since 1992

• Wed, Dec 9 2020 6:45 PM In reply to

• JonnyL
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,445

I gave up renewing my support last year.  I detest the subscription model as a customer but for the vendor its a money spinner.

If you dont renew your perpetual licence it can never be upgraded and you are left behind with no way back.

It is a real kick in the teeth for someone like me, a one man band who has supported Avid for decades but I cant justify these prices for the amount of work I now do.

Ah well, cant stop "progress"!

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 12 2020 3:40 PM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,885

JonnyL:

If you dont renew your perpetual licence it can never be upgraded and you are left behind with no way back.

I'm on a perpetual license and it's renewal time. The work just isn't there anymore. I've jut been looking at options and it's confusing as sometimes on reseller websites the wording implies that you can come back if the support plan for your perpetual license has lapsed. My understanding is that you have to renew within a month of the expiration date. It just feels like an all or nothing approach. It would be good if there was a way back.

MC2022.12 (Win10) | DaVinci Resolve Studio | Dell T7500 with 2 x 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz CPUs | Triple-Channel 96GB (48GB per CPU) 1333MHz DDR3... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 1 2022 4:23 PM In reply to

I totally agree, I feel over a barrel with the high cost of the perpetual licence, £476!! way more than a yearly subscription, why penalise loyalty? And if you don't work regularly it's a crazy price.

I love Avid and have worked on it since the mid '90s but this just makes me mad.

I would love a way back to the perpetual licence after a working dry spell.

• Tue, Feb 1 2022 7:03 PM In reply to

Justine Wright:
    £476!!

Just a reminder that Videoguys is still selling some renewals at the old price.

And another reminder that you can stack renewals. So if you were to buy two (or three), you would get two (or three) consecutive years of support/updates/upgrades.

Justine Wright:
    I would love a way back to the perpetual licence after a working dry spell.

Are you sure? I have made a document comparing the various options. If you have an active perptual plan, you could keep it (at a small premium) but if you have a lapsed license, it is much more attractive to start a regular subscription.

Here's the doc with a longterm price comparison.

P.S.: Are you this Justine Wright? https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0942549/

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller