Latest post Mon, Nov 9 2020 1:04 PM by Cutyes. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 24 2020 6:09 AM

• TrentM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 24 2020
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

HELP. All media offline after transferring to external drive

Hi everyone,

I edited a film at university and afterwards transferred my AVID projects and media files from their systems to an external drive in case I needed to do any further edits.

I now find myself in that situation - I've just obtained Media Composer for Mac, through my external drive I have opened the project which has all my bins, etc., but all media is offline.

I've read a few threads about this issue but nothing seems to be working for me.

Attached is a screenshot showing all my media files at the root of 1 folder.

I've ensured that permissions are "read and write" for "everyone" for both the MXF and 1 folders.

I've deleted the msmFMID and msmMMOB files before re-launching.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Thu, Oct 29 2020 10:49 PM In reply to

Re: HELP. All media offline after transferring to external drive

TrentM,

Although you seem to be alluding to your media being "managed" (i.e., in the Avid MediaFiles folder), is it?

If it is, make certain that the folder "Avid MediaFiles" is in the top-most level of that external drive. Then make sure the next folder down is "MXF." Then make sure the NEXT folder down doesn't have some crazy arbitrary name (just make it a "1"). THEN make sure all of your media is in THAT folder.

J

Hackintosh i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64+Radeon VII egpu, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.15.7. MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 30 2020 11:04 AM In reply to

Are you sure at the root level of the drive you have an Avid MediaFiles folder with an MXF folder in it and in that your numbered folders containing the actual MXF files?

If in Media Composer you open the audio tool and select the top righthand fast menu and choose to create tone media and select the media drive with your media.

The reveal file on that clip produced . Is it in with your media or somewhere else?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Nov 2 2020 7:26 AM In reply to

• TrentM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 24 2020
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

Thanks for your responses.

I can confirm that I have an Avid MediaFiles folder and that this is at the top-most level of my external drive. Within that folder is the subfolder ‘MXF’ and within that is the subfolder ‘1’. All media files are within the ‘1’ subfolder and there are no further subfolders. I created a tone, as suggested, and can also confirm that the created file was placed in the ‘1’ subfolder with all other media.

• Sat, Nov 7 2020 3:27 PM In reply to

Then have you gone to the "Relink" tool and tried that? With your media in the correct place, you should be able to leave all the settings default in the relink window because it looks to match managed media first. 

Hackintosh i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64+Radeon VII egpu, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.15.7. MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 7 2020 4:16 PM In reply to

Place an X in front of your current Avid MediaFiles folder so that Avid is not seeing it eg "xAvid MediaFiles".  On the new system, have Avid create some new media (for example create a title or some tone media). When it does this, Avid will create the proper folder structure. Right click on your new clip and reveal file so that Avid opens up the folder where it's placing this new media. Transfer your Avid media files (the .mxfs) to this new folder which Avid is recognising and rebuild the databases.

Give that a try. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 9 2020 1:04 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,330

TrentM:
    I've deleted the msmFMID and msmMMOB files before re-launching.

Has MC recreated the MSMs after re-launch?

And just in case... what file system is the external drive?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller