Latest post Wed, Oct 21 2020 2:15 PM by Pat Horridge. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 6 2020 11:17 AM

• Phil941999
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 6 2020
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Relinking offline media that was created from transcoded footage and sound

I have recently moved from uni while still wroking on a project so i moved the project to my laptop. I can open it fine but some of the media is being recognised from my D drive, which is where my media is, but some is being recognised from my F drive which i dont know what that is. I have tried creating a new bin and linked the media again. I then put a copy of the sequence in that folder and tried to relink but it only recognised the media that was previously showing from the D drive. Another thing i noticed is that the media that didnt relink has a real time "S" effect on it which i didnt put on there. Also the sound and the video that did get relinked is not linked together, they are now seperate files. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? Thank you

• Tue, Oct 6 2020 12:17 PM In reply to

• sergiumm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 24 2012
    • Posts 83
    • Points 975

Re: Relinking offline media that was created from transcoded footage and sound

I can' t understand- do you have OFFLINE clips or not? And if you want to relink clips on other machine they must have timecode and tape name

Media Composer 2020.6 MSI Z390-A PRO, Intel Core i7-8700, 24GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 6 2020 12:32 PM In reply to

The clips with the f drive location are I presume showing offline.

This is because thats where they were but MC can't see them now (because that drive doesn't exits)

Were these AMA linked clips or Transcoded ore imported media?

under column headings make sure source path and source file are enabled so you can see more info about the source file.

Avid stores imported or transcoded media as seperate audio and video file and they live in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ numbered folder

AMA linked files are accessed from whatever location you linked them from.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Oct 6 2020 1:15 PM In reply to

• Phil941999
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Yes they are showing offline. These clips were AMA linked clips which I then transcoded within avid to alower quality so it would be easier to work with. Now I would like to relink them to the original media with the same name and with the same source path as before except now its on my computer instead of my uni computer. In my project, some file paths are to the correct place in the D drive and some are to the F drive. Those files wont relink.

• Tue, Oct 6 2020 1:36 PM In reply to

• sergiumm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 83
    • Points 975

In most cases there is no way to relink trancoded clips to the original media. If you want increase the quality of these trancoded clips - just trancode original media to more qualitative format and then relink to this clips. If you want just relink clips from F drive on other machine - you need to copy files from F:/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 to laptop to the same folder, but on disk D

Media Composer 2020.6 MSI Z390-A PRO, Intel Core i7-8700, 24GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 6 2020 1:49 PM In reply to

• Phil941999
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

I have done it before where you trick avid into relinking the high quality media by moving the it and then replacing it with the hign quality media and telling avid to relink that as it has the same name. But thats not the issue as thats also what i have done fot the media in my project that states the source path is to my D drive, however i cannot do the same with the media which says its source path is to the F drive. Whats strange to me is that some media is going to thw D drive and some to the F drive, and it seems quite random. Any reason why it has been split like this? Can I somehow change the source path to the D drive instead? The folder structure is the same; only difference is the drive.

• Tue, Oct 6 2020 1:58 PM In reply to

• sergiumm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 83
    • Points 975

Did you copy files from disk F to laptop?

• Tue, Oct 6 2020 2:01 PM In reply to

• Phil941999
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

I have only used on hard drive for this project which is a G drive. I have looked it up and apparantly the F drive is a back up partition but i dont see why the source path would originate from there.

• Tue, Oct 6 2020 2:07 PM In reply to

• sergiumm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 83
    • Points 975

It doesn't matter. You need to relink all clips from project on laptop - just copy ALL media to it

• Tue, Oct 6 2020 2:28 PM In reply to

• Phil941999
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Where do you mean to copy it? Right now all my media is organised on the D drive

• Wed, Oct 21 2020 1:33 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,325
    • Points 25,665
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Phil941999,

This section is for the AvidLink Apps, that handles activation, systems ID, serial number that is related to account. I will move this to PC section.

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 21 2020 2:15 PM In reply to

The source path shows the current location of files that are online to media composer but for offline media it shows the previous path to the file.

Its likely on you previous system media was on an F drive but on your PC that F drive is actually a different drive.

Ultimatley either those missing files are on your external drive but not yet AMA linked in MC so hidden from it. (so try searching for one sample missing file on your external drive. 

Or those files never made it to the external drive and still lurk somewhere else. A uni computer or a USB drive you used once or someboduelses drive.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller