Latest post Wed, Sep 23 2020 10:40 AM by Desislava. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 22 2020 1:50 PM

• Desislava
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 22 2020
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

The file format ... mp4... is not supported for import

I extra installed the program Pavtube (suggested by avid), but also the convered video can not be imported in avid! 

In all other commen cuting programms (the free one also) you can inport the actual video formats (as mp4, which is the most used!).   

The "Avid Composer First" is offered for free, but you have to buy the converter program (like a Pavtuve), if you dont want to have the Logo on the converted video! 

I have professionaly worked with Avid many years ago, and loved it, thats why now I prefered it for all other "cheap programs". I've liked that there is a free version of it, because I want to cut something for my daugther, but I can not import a common files, and even with the suggested convert-program, it does not work (and for this second convert program I have to pay). 

Is it possible to import a mp4 files and finish my project? 

Thank you for your answer.  

• Tue, Sep 22 2020 2:39 PM In reply to

Re: The file format ... mp4... is not supported for import

Use something like mediainfo to find what the actual codec is MP4 is just a wrapper and Media Composer can handle MP4 files just fine. Its the codec thats been used thats often the issue.

Also you say "Importing" but do you mean AMA Linking?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Sep 22 2020 7:27 PM In reply to

• Desislava
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Thank you very much for your answer ans for the infos.

One mp4 file was imported (made from one mobil telefon), and onother mp4 file (made be onother mobile telefon) can not be imported. 

Mediainfo says: MPEG-4 (QuickTime): 128MiB

1 video stream: AVC 

Waht exactly it the difference when working in a timeline in Avid, when the videos are importetd or linked? Can I cut and output the result? 

Thank you. 

• Tue, Sep 22 2020 7:57 PM In reply to

• Desislava
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

With linking it works. Can I edit like this, with the linked videos? 

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 8:44 AM In reply to

Desislava:

With linking it works. Can I edit like this, with the linked videos? 

You can edit with the linked videos. Many people find it easier to transcode the media after linking.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:44 AM In reply to

• Desislava
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Thank you. It have worked. 

Are there any disadvantages? 

Thank you very much for your answering. 

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 10:05 AM In reply to

Desislava:
    Are there any disadvantages? 

1. Linking and transcoding takes longer than just linking.

2. You're creating new media. Depending on what resolution you choose when transcoding, you might be lowering the quality of your linked media.

3. Link & transcode requires more hard drive space because you'll have the linked media plus the media resulting from the transcode. If you only link, you only need enough space for the linked media.

That's all I could think of. I've worked with linked media and I've worked by linking & transcoding and I haven't had any major problems directly relating to either workflow. My advice is to pick the workflow that fits your requirements.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 10:40 AM In reply to

• Desislava
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Thank you!

Could I ask you one more thing about the rates? 

I've worked with Avid many years ago (I have forgotten much) and now didn't want to use other editing program. I took the free version of Avid, because I'editing something for my daugther, and I've told it would be enough.

I have some vidoes (recorded from different perspectives) from the same violoncello play (synchronisyty in audio is important), one is recorded mit 30fps, and the other three with 50fps. With the free version of Avid you can set under:      

File /Settings/ Project/ General/ TC Display Format 

only 50fps or 25fps (is this the project frame rate?). 

I've transcoded with the "paytube" the 50fps -videos in 30fps and linked them succesfully in Avid. But how do I have to  play the result out (at what rate)?  Neither 50fps nor 25fps is correct.

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller