Latest post Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:42 PM by insch. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 10 2020 9:08 PM

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

a lot of miniDV tapes to capture

I am doing a favour for a friend. He has 70 miniDV tapes that need capturing. I have a deck which I've managed to connect via a collection of cables and adapters from Firewire to Thunderbolt. It is recognised by the Mac. When I last ran tests MC didn't see the deck but iMovie does. Since I am not editing these tapes, just capturing them in one take each, I want the simplest and most robust method. And one that captures them in native DV. iMovie seemed to largely work but annoyingly it breaks the capture into clips when it finds timecode breaks. I don't want that. It used to have an option to uncheck that but not in iMovie 10. Then there is https://www.lifeflix.com/ which may be worth the investment for 70 tapes, if it works well. Any advice gratefully received. Is there a way to get MC to see this deck - Sony HVR-M15J?

Thanks

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 11 2020 1:27 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Montréal, Canada
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,765

Re: a lot of miniDV tapes to capture

I captured some DV tapes using a similar Firewire to Thunderbolt connection a few months ago with MC 2019 on Mojave and it did work. Which version are you using and on which OS? I haven't tried on Catalina, yet.

Have you tried using a Generic DV device in your Deck Settings? Since the Sony HVR-M15J isn't listed in the drop-down menu, you may have have better luck with the Generic Manual Configuration.

Avid Media Composer 2020.9 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.5.1), macOS 10.15.7, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 11 2020 4:49 PM In reply to

insch:
    Is there a way to get MC to see this deck - Sony HVR-M15J

If I remember correctly (it's been a long time) that's an HDV deck. It might help to create an HDV project and try to connect the deck while in that project.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Sep 11 2020 5:02 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

Much gratitude to both of you. I'm going to have a play over the w/e and see what options work best. I don't want the tapes broken into clips because that will make checking that it has captured everything much more time consuming. But I'm also not sure I want my Media Composer licence tied up on another of my Macs for 70 hours crunching away!

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 12 2020 3:27 PM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 320
    • Points 3,605

I had a similar HDv tape to digitise from a firewire deck, after playing about for a time I found it easier to just run Premiere Pro, capture just worked using a thundrbolt to firewire adaptor on my Mbp 

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 15 2020 2:52 PM In reply to

• Dino S
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 25 2012
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

similar to what SteveK said, I keep an old machine with FieWire and Final Cut Pro 7 around for just such a thing (and also because I just have an old machine).  Final Cut was always better at capturng DV tapes.  Avid never really worked at all with HDV.  there are a few settings ('ignore timecode breaks' is one) that will let you just roll the tape adn it'll keep capturing until the end, unattended.  This would work on something as old as a G4 so hopefully someone you know still has an old laptop in the bottom of a closet.

• Wed, Sep 16 2020 9:33 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

Thanks everyone. I had high hopes of using LifeFlix but it recorded the same section of tape over and over again (due to a timecode break on the tape and the fact that LifeFlix never stopped recording but kept rewinding and starting again) so I'm going to have another try with Media Composer and will just have to tie up my licence on another of my Macs for the odd day of digitizing. Anyway, right now I can't deactivate MC on my main Mac for some reason. As soon as that issue is resolved I'll have another crack at this.

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 8:38 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

I finally had some time to try again with Media Composer. It doesn't see the DV deck (connected via Thunderbolt 3 - TB 2 - FW800) but it does see the media being played from it (see grab) and it shows this in the right hand monitor in Capture Mode. So it appears that Media Composer is seeing the output of the deck but it doesn't give me any control of it and won't let me capture from it.

I am running out of options here - 1) iMovie breaks everything into clips and is unreliable at capturing everything on the tape 2) LifeFlix also broke the media into clips and ended up recording the same chunk over and over after a timecode break on tape and now 3) Media Composer sees the input from deck but won't let me control it or capture from it.

Should I try and source an old version of Final Cut? All my Macs now run Catalina but I have an external SSD with Mojave that I run a few 32 bit apps from that I still use occasionally.

This is tougher than I thought it would be.

Thanks to everyone who has offered ideas so far.

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 8:51 PM In reply to

insch:
    Media Composer sees the input from deck but won't let me control it or capture from it.

What if you try to capture without deck control? There's a toggle source button at the top of the capture tool that looks like a deck. If you click it to change it from a deck to a globe, can you then press play on the deck itself and record on the capture tool once you've got sound and a picture in Media Composer?

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:09 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

camoscato:

insch:
    Media Composer sees the input from deck but won't let me control it or capture from it.

What if you try to capture without deck control? There's a toggle source button at the top of the capture tool that looks like a deck. If you click it to change it from a deck to a globe, can you then press play on the deck itself and record on the capture tool once you've got sound and a picture in Media Composer?

Thank you. That seemed to almost work but it then comes up with an error message saying that I am capturing audio from the tape that doesn't match the audio sample rate of my project (48k). I couldn't see where the sample rate for project was actually set to and wondered what the sample rate of the tapes might be. I would have guesssed 48k?

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:22 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

I found the Project Audio settings and tried 44.1k which didn't work but setting it to 32K did stop the capture aborting and coming up with the error message. Audio appears to be coming in and it is registering in the Audio Tool. But the recorded clips don't seem to have it. Strangely, before I could hear audio when I was playing the tapes but now I can't - something has changed on the monitoring side of things.

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:42 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

I quit MC and re-launched it. When I played the tape through Capture Tool in Global Mode I could see imagery and hear audio but when I captured it did for a short while and then came up with the error message about audio sample rate. I then noticed that it had muted audio from there on - even for playback - but the Audio Tool was still registering it. Mind you I had put it back to 48K. I'll try after a re-launch at 32k.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller