Latest post Wed, Sep 16 2020 1:19 PM by Frédéric. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 19 2020 3:11 AM

VM licensing and using Avid with Teradici

Hi Community,

I'm a new forum-poster, though I've worked with Avid for many years.  3 questions today -

We’re supporting a New Zealand production company with 13 Avids.    The production company is affected by Covid 19 (Auckland New Zealand has just gone into second-wave lock-down).

They're running Media Composer Ultimate v 2018.12.10.  Teradici have provided trial PCoIP licenses to help during lockdown, but attempts to run Avid over Teradici get the Avid message “This program is not supported on VM instances”.  (Note that they are not running MC virtually but have physical host workstations on premises that they want to reach remotely and have installed Teradici’s PCoIP host software on these).    

1) I suspect the production company needs the Media Composer | Cloud VM option in order to work over Teradici, although I was told from one Avid source that the very latest MC versions will work with Teradici without needing special licensing.  Does anyone know if this is true?

2) If special licensing is needed as an add-on to their exisitng perpetual (and under-maintenance) Avid licenses, then what is this add-on called and what does it cost?  (I've not seen it as an option in the Avid store).

3) This is a question for Avid Corporation directly.  I was impressed by Avid Corporation's generous 90-day free-of-charge asistance to users earlier in the year.  As Covid 19 has struck different countries at different rates and different times, I wonder if this production company in New Zealand would be able to be helped with a FOC trial of Cloud VM option, if that's required, in order for them to work remotely during the current lockdown?

Thanks all for your advice.  Smile

Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Aug 20 2020 4:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: VM licensing and using Avid with Teradici

Hi Doug....

Hope your well over in OZ....  

Questions: 

1) I suspect the production company needs the Media Composer | Cloud VM option in order to work over Teradici, although I was told from one Avid source that the very latest MC versions will work with Teradici without needing special licensing.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Ansser:  Yes your customer will need either individual VM Options or  VM floating license depending on # of seats.  We offer both.

2) If special licensing is needed as an add-on to their exisitng perpetual (and under-maintenance) Avid licenses, then what is this add-on called and what does it cost?  (I've not seen it as an option in the Avid store).

The VM Option is an Option just like SS, PF, Symphony etc. and runs on top of the MC. Not sure of the cost in your neck of the woods so I will ask that Shauna or Richard reach out.

3) This is a question for Avid Corporation directly.  I was impressed by Avid Corporation's generous 90-day free-of-charge asistance to users earlier in the year.  As Covid 19 has struck different countries at different rates and different times, I wonder if this production company in New Zealand would be able to be helped with a FOC trial of Cloud VM option, if that's required, in order for them to work remotely during the current lockdown?

I can check but not sure.....  that might be a good question for Shauna and Richard - I will get you that answer Doug.

Best to you and stay safe.  You can also email me direct as well if you need more scoop.  email below

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 20 2020 5:11 PM In reply to

If you are using an HP z workstation (z4, z8, z840, etc.), it is easier to deploy HP zCentral with a VPN.

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 12 2020 4:35 PM In reply to

Hi All 

is there an update with the AVID licencing way using teradaci PCoIP ? 

I mean, is VM option is still requiered while using Media composer on a physical workstation remotly with teradici ? 

I read that since april 2020 VM licence is not still requiered but I must be sure before going with teradici technology. 

thanks in adavance 

• Mon, Sep 14 2020 2:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Frédéric:

Hi All 

I mean, is VM option is still requiered while using Media composer on a physical workstation remotly with teradici ? 

I read that since april 2020 VM licence is not still requiered but I must be sure before going with teradici technology. 

thanks in adavance 

Still need a VM Option to with the MC on the Teradici system.....

Have you contacted your reseller?

Marianna

• Mon, Sep 14 2020 2:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Frédéric:

Hi All 

thanks in adavance 

Marianna

• Mon, Sep 14 2020 2:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Marianna

• Wed, Sep 16 2020 1:18 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Marianna

Hello Marianna

thank you for your reply. In this case, I will stay with HP RGS. 

best regards

• Wed, Sep 16 2020 1:19 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Marianna

Hello Marianna

thank you for your reply. In this case, I will stay with HP RGS. 

best regards

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller