Latest post Mon, Sep 28 2020 7:51 PM by Marianna. 60 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 29 2020 3:27 AM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,250
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: AVID Titler plus still useless?

I was hoping for something a little more specific than that. LOL

I think I smell cranky pants smoke...

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 29 2020 10:22 AM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 505
    • Points 6,085

I think what the developers have missunderstood with Title Tool + is exactly what editors have been using the Legacy Title Tool for. Yes, we all had a long wish list of additional features, but as for myself I use it for: Neat holding text, simple lower thirds, and low budget jobs that need simple text on screen.

I love the fact that with Title Tool I can:

- make a simple title in a nice font, with a coloured background in less than 10 seconds

- I can do a simple zoom effect, an lay that preset on all my text.

- I can use it to create coloured back drops and save them too a bin.

- I can do simple lower thirds and charge the client for GFX time if they want anything better.

- Create quick and elegant holding text

This is about 95 percent of what I use the Title GFXl for. I do also use After Effects, but in my role as an Editor I really don't need much more. I would like to keep something close to the old Title Tool but also have an Plus version that brings up more options  - similar to the 3D button in some fx.

Media Composer 2019.8.0 Dell Precision 5820, 32GB, i9-9920x, Quadro P2000, W10 [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 3:06 PM In reply to

• Editim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 5 2006
    • Posts 29
    • Points 460

I see 5 moderator badges on your profile.  One of them interestingly says "customer advocate."

I agree it is not fucntioning but remember that Avid emaployees who are working to fix it read this and get VERY VERY disheartended when they see the same posts but the same peeps over and over. 

Just asking that you keep the comments on feedback and features coming but eliminate the bashing.

This does not sound like the voice of a customer advocate.  What's the matter?  Avid employees getting their feewings huurt?  You want gentler feedback, then next time you guys have a bright idea to do away with a crucial feature and replace it with a piece of junk, you might want to think twice.  The bashing is not, repeat not, the problem of the customers.  Better we should just shut up?  Sorry, not my style.  I paid for something that I haven't been able to use, haven't been able to find decent documentations, and now it appears that the customers who question Avid's great decision are being second-guessed by a customer advocate.   Just fix the darn thing and I'm predicting the "bashing" will quiet down greatly.  

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 3:28 PM In reply to

It's not about people getting their feelings hurt, it's about a group of professionals working together to solve a problem without resorting to childish name calling. 

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 4:03 PM In reply to

• Editim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 5 2006
    • Posts 29
    • Points 460

Same here.  My suggestion.  Don't ask people to pay for something that doesn't work.  If you choose to ignore that basic business tenet then you shouldn't be surprised when customers are angry.  All due respect Camoscato, my post was in reply to Marianna as you suggested to me a few posts earlier.  It wasn't meant for your reply.  If you want to be an editor, then you should edit.  If you want to be a soldier, then join the army.

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 4:12 PM In reply to

Marianna:

I agree it is not fucntioning...

Just asking that you keep the comments on feedback and features coming but eliminate the bashing.

Marianna. 

I looked up the definition of "useless."   Some of the synonyms are: unusable, ineffectual, unproductive, unworkable and not functioning.  You agree it is not functioning.  By logical reasoning (not functioning = unless = bashing) you are bashing it as well.  

(Just having some fun.  I suffered through a logic course in college and couldn't resist applying the syllogism.)

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 4:17 PM In reply to

Editim:
    All due respect Camoscato, my post was in reply to Marianna as you suggested to me a few posts earlier.  It wasn't meant for your reply.

All due respect, random dude on the internet, this is a public forum, and anyone can read and respond to what you write. If you want to have a private conversation with Marianna, send her an email. 

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 4:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,387
    • Points 233,325
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

camoscato:

Editim:
    All due respect Camoscato, my post was in reply to Marianna as you suggested to me a few posts earlier.  It wasn't meant for your reply.

All due respect, random dude on the internet, this is a public forum, and anyone can read and respond to what you write. If you want to have a private conversation with Marianna, send her an email. 

Wise ass but I love you just the same Terry!  LOLOL that was a good one.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 1 2020 6:32 PM In reply to

Oh, a thread in which people are bashing Avid. And I'm not taking part? No way... I must be losing touch. Getting old I'm afraid.

But while I might risk throwing oil on fire here, I could not stop myself from joining due to one thing I read. Sorry for the hijack. 

Marianna:
    please keep the feeadback coming BUT please refrain from the bashing as I WANT the Avid team internally to work with us on this and as "humans" to be constantly griped at and bashed - turns people off from even reading your posts. 

Marianna, I consider these forums a public tool where the content of posts needs to be constructive in the process of improving Avid's products and most of all their use. Whether or not Editim's posts meet that description... I happely will leave it up to you and the moderators.

But I want to ask you a straight forward question: Who do you mean by 'us'? The community? The few product managers that do participate in these forums? I guess not those developers who are not allowed by company policy to participate in these forums. The customers who understood that they paid for an 'unfinished' product and (are asked to) take part in an unvoluntary development and beta testing program to get it functional (through these forums)? Or also that (reseller) support tech that's in the front line (with his sales and support colleagues) listening to these kind of complaints and trying to channel these to the right people through support.

What I'm trying to express here Marianna is that there have been numerous times when there was nothing more I wanted than 'the Avid team to work with us'. From where I sit that will require the ability for changes from both sides. Asking the community to post positive constructive contributions in these forums will have to met with positive constructive contributions from Avid's side in these forums.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 7:30 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

This is a public forum, people will vent and express disappointment if valid. I don’t believe in suppressing this as it’s part of the reason why the tool has caught attention of Avid. Avid MC not a free product and there is an expectation on advertised features. We all deal with negative feedback and if there’s a section the client doesn’t like in an edit we take it on the chin and address it quickly. Users that have allocated their own time to report back here and in other threads and should be sufficient for developers. But you will continue to hear the feedback until it's addressed and the tool has not been updated for many months.

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 7:44 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,250
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Asking the community to post positive constructive contributions in these forums will have to met with positive constructive contributions from Avid's side in these forums.

You must be referring to my comment a few posts down. I am not an employee of Avid, fwiw. Just a user and moderator who is trying to keep things productive. Of course I have the benefit of knowing a little bit about what is going on behind the scenes... and I can assure you that Avid is working hard to address the issues...

If there are specific issues shared by multiple users, I have the ability as a moderator to send them up the pike directly to the program developers. But, there has to be a specific issue... 'splainin' why I asked for specifics.

Constant rehash of general complaints are counter productive and they tend to clutter up the forums making it more difficult for those users who are looking for help.

Therefore, if the counter-productive complaints reach a "point of no return," or reduced to bashing and complaining for the sake of complaining, they are subject to "moderation." ...for the benefit of all users here. Moderators do have the power of the "ban hammer" when users violate the guidelines; although it is seldom used... anymore. Just keep things civil and refrain from cluttering things up. :)

So, again, I simply advise that comments be held to those that are productive. You really don't want Marianna's cranky pants to be set on fire... trust me. lol.

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 1 2020 9:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,387
    • Points 233,325
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

morsey:

This is a public forum, people will vent and express disappointment if valid. I don’t believe in suppressing this as it’s part of the reason why the tool has caught attention of Avid. Avid MC not a free product and there is an expectation on advertised features. We all deal with negative feedback and if there’s a section the client doesn’t like in an edit we take it on the chin and address it quickly. Users that have allocated their own time to report back here and in other threads and should be sufficient for developers. But you will continue to hear the feedback until it's addressed and the tool has not been updated for many months.

Agree 100% Morsey...... I suspect that the collective forum will soon here from those that actuall develop the thing and start engaging with the community to make it better.  Covid has put a strain on everyone.... not only with the amount of work people are being asked to do but also with a vast change an pivot in what we do to deliver the products that are needed now.  

I have been asured by Kate and team that they have begun to chip away at the list of feedback and complaints and have also agreed to engage here so the larger community knows what we are doing and when to expect results.

Keep the feedback and comments coming.,.. just be gentle in the delviery as I dont want to scare anyone away :)

marianna

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 9:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,387
    • Points 233,325
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Oh, a thread in which people are bashing Avid. And I'm not taking part? No way... I must be losing touch. Getting old I'm afraid.

But while I might risk throwing oil on fire here, I could not stop myself from joining due to one thing I read. Sorry for the hijack. 

Marianna:
    please keep the feeadback coming BUT please refrain from the bashing as I WANT the Avid team internally to work with us on this and as "humans" to be constantly griped at and bashed - turns people off from even reading your posts. 

Marianna, I consider these forums a public tool where the content of posts needs to be constructive in the process of improving Avid's products and most of all their use. Whether or not Editim's posts meet that description... I happely will leave it up to you and the moderators.

But I want to ask you a straight forward question: Who do you mean by 'us'? The community? The few product managers that do participate in these forums? I guess not those developers who are not allowed by company policy to participate in these forums. The customers who understood that they paid for an 'unfinished' product and (are asked to) take part in an unvoluntary development and beta testing program to get it functional (through these forums)? Or also that (reseller) support tech that's in the front line (with his sales and support colleagues) listening to these kind of complaints and trying to channel these to the right people through support.

What I'm trying to express here Marianna is that there have been numerous times when there was nothing more I wanted than 'the Avid team to work with us'. From where I sit that will require the ability for changes from both sides. Asking the community to post positive constructive contributions in these forums will have to met with positive constructive contributions from Avid's side in these forums.

Jereon....

( happy birthday BTW )....    When I refer to "us" I refer to all that post here - customers, partners, Avid, etc......  yes some of the product managers do in fact engage online here at the Community teams request however not all do.  Times are a changing though in that regard.  Never has Avid not allowed people who work for Avi to not participate.  Normally it is a not a function of their job and the direction given by their team.  Some like Jeff Lomicka, Tina Van Roggen, Dave C. and others chime in when they can.  

Regarding the Titler… yes we are aware that it has issues and are working each release to improve them. Just like we do with the other features within the new UI Media Composer such as Frame Flex and Bin’s etc.  Having discussions with the product team has resulted in the willingness to create a titler+ tag team who can focus solely on that part fo the product.  25-30 people where asked to join based on the comments they have posted over the last year.  We have an extensive spreadsheet with all the comments gathered and will chip away at them to get the feature where you all feel it needs to be.

I don’t think I every have in my 16 years here asked the community to not post what they feel … but I have iin a few instances asked that those posts be productive. Kate will be posting soon as the product manager for MC and I think you will see that the two way communication dialog between Avid and the community is open.  

Marianna

• Tue, Sep 1 2020 11:28 PM In reply to

The appeals for postiive suggesrions are fair, but the criticism is deserved.   I've recently come back to MC after maybe 15 years away.   I became involved in a project lthat had long been cutting on 2018,  so when I signed up I assumed I'd get the latest version, 2020.   Imagine my surprise when I discovered that although bin sharing works just fine, I was unable to touch their Title Tool titles, and they were unable to work with mine - why introduce two different titling systesmin a timeline?.   That's just a MASSIVE roadblock to a satisfactory experience.   So I went back to 2019.12.2 and was quite happy.   Then, because of all the Avid work I'm doing I decidded to get a new MBP.  They come with Catalina, you can't downgrade, and I'm forced to install 2020.8.   Now I've got no usable titling tool again, along with the whole host of other serious Catalina-related issues.   I've reverted to using 2019.12.2 on my old Mojave system and can't return to the 2020 series until these issues are sorted.   My Premiere work can happen on the new machine.

So one of your first urgent needs is that whatever you do for a new titler, its titles are 100% interchangeable with versions pre-2020.   That's just ESSENTIAL.  Because with all the other Catgalina-related problems on 2020, very, very few teams are working on anything later than 2019.   It's like trying to join a Zoom party without a camera or microphone.

MBP 2015, 2.5Ghz 4 Core, 16GB RAM, 2GB VRAM. MBP 2020, 2.5Ghz 8 Core, 64GB RAM, 8GB VRAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 2 2020 7:51 AM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

Thanks for you response. Yes 'mini me' is getting less mini. 11 years already.

Marianna:
    not all do.  Times are a changing though in that regard.

That is highly welcomed news. But seeing is believing in this case.

Marianna:
    Never has Avid not allowed people who work for Avid to not participate.

I'm not going to dispute this. First of all because it is not allowed by the terms and conditions of these forums. But I do want to respond to it.

From my 20+ years of experience with Avid, like most companies, the developers are shielded from the users by a group of support people, forum moderators, product managers,etc.. who channel the information feedback to the right people so the best development path is chosen. Nothing anybody has to complain about. But like with any organisation, it will depend on the right people being in the right place for it to function properly and as we are all human this is a never ending process of 3 steps forward 2 steps back.

The problem I see is not whether or not the developers are allowed to participate here. The problem is that Avid/you are asking for positive feedback on what needs to improve while the internal testing team and the public beta testing team should have already provided you most of that feedback. And the content of that feedback obviously being that it needs to be a copy paste of the functionality of the old titler + extra functionality. Anything less will raise eyebrows and cause anger at paying customers after reading the marketing information which leaves no superlative unused and decide to upgrade.

The knowledge of the new Titler's overhaul functionality startingpoint can of course be gathered from the user base and using them to gather the information for the way forward is great, hence the reason for us to be positive, but that knowledge is for most present in the existing code of the old titler and Marquee. Aren't you currently also asking us to help you re-invent the wheel?

The question I'm not allowed to ask here is if commercial directives inside Avid result in a 'that will do for now' product and if that is the right way forward both short and long term.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 3 of 5 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller