Latest post Tue, Aug 11 2020 8:18 PM by fropdaddy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 10 2020 11:22 PM

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

Boxx Threadripper qualified system

Has anyone been able to test out the Boxx Threadripper qualified system?

I'd love to hear how it is working and also how many threads are used when transcoding.

Is there a limit to how many threads Media composer uses while transcoding?

I have a lot of UHD media (Canon C300) that I have to chew through on a daily basis.

• Tue, Aug 11 2020 4:57 PM In reply to

• B3n3d1kt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 24 2020
    • Germany
    • Posts 13
    • Points 130

Re: Boxx Threadripper qualified system

So far no workstation with Threadripper that has been validated by Avid because there is no one. A few days ago AMD launched Threadripper Pro. They will be available in workstations from Lenovo. Maybe they will be qualified.

Marianna wrote in a different thread that they have tested/testing Threadripper and no problem occured.

Other people built a DIY workstation with Ryzen 3000 or Threadripper 3000 with no problem.

MC 2019.12 (Win 10 1909) custom Workstation: AMD Threadripper 3960X (NH-U14S TR4-SP3 + NF-A15), ASUS TRX40-E Gaming, 64GB DDR4-3200 Corsair, MSI RTX 2070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 11 2020 7:30 PM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

Is there anyone at Avid that could do a transcode test on the qualified system?  I can provide some footage if needed.

It would be great to see how long it would take to transcode UHD footage to DNX36, perhaps see what it would take to transcode 100 seconds of 23.98.  Also to  see the usage (a screen grab like this would be nice to have), while it is in the middle of transcoding.

• Tue, Aug 11 2020 7:56 PM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

Would there be anyway for Avid to test out the system to give us some performance numbers or answer the question as to how many threads that MC can now use to transcode?

Ideally, I'd like to know how much faster than realtime it would transcode UHD 23.98 footage to DNX36.  I could send over some C300 MII footage if needed for testing.

Also, a capture of the Task Manager - Performance window would be nice to have as it is transcoding.  Something like this:

• Tue, Aug 11 2020 8:18 PM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

This indicates that they did qualify one from Boxx:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2Fcompatibility%2Fen422411&entityId=ka15A000000tb8UQAQ&field=Attachment_2__Body__s

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller