Latest post Fri, Aug 7 2020 10:54 AM by Pat Horridge. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 6 2020 8:32 AM

• giver
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 19 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

importing/media and the hurdles of getting media in avid

sigh, Footage resides on p2 card(volume) I links to the footage and shows as a master clip however it's unable to transcode because it says some of it is a spanned clip. So I can't transcode the footage. I also shot on a Nikon Camera footage is a quicktime, it's can't link or import that footage either. I used Adobe's Media Encoder, it does have a nice P2 able to see footage,  but actually after converting the footage to DNxHr/DnXHD MXF, ok it looks like creates media, and a data file, I can't import, link any of that footage. If I drag the mxf into a new media folder it doesn't like that and trys to quarntine. I already know there are serious issues with importing quicktime. what is the workflow for me to get the media in Avid. it seems very difficult and has taken quite some time with trial and error. Footage on one camera is in the 24p 720P DVCProHD, The other is 720p quicktime. 

How do I get the footage in avid? 

Thank you for those who have figure this out. 

Jason

Avid 2020.6.0 Mac OS 10.15.6 3G 6core Intel core I5 quicktime Version 10.5 (1015.2.1) 40 Gigs of Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 6 2020 8:34 AM In reply to

Re: importing/media and the hurdles of getting media in avid

After linking to the P2 media inside MC, rather than transcode, can you Consolidate?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 6 2020 7:31 PM In reply to

• giver
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Nope, Exception, Std, exception... Consolidation doesn't work either. 

Avid 2020.6.0 Mac OS 10.15.6 3G 6core Intel core I5 quicktime Version 10.5 (1015.2.1) 40 Gigs of Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 6 2020 9:56 PM In reply to

It would help to know your system specifications. Which specific version of Media Composer First are you using? Which specific operating system? Processor? Amount of RAM? Video card? Look at my profile at the bottom of this post for an example.

If you fill out this information in your profile, you won't have to type it out every time you need help.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Aug 6 2020 10:05 PM In reply to

• giver
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Avid 2020.6.0

Mac OS 10.15.6

3G 6core Intel core I5

quicktime Version 10.5 (1015.2.1)

40 Gigs of Ram

• Fri, Aug 7 2020 3:09 AM In reply to

giver:
    I links to the footage and shows as a master clip however it's unable to transcode because it says some of it is a spanned clip. So I can't transcode the footage

As a workaround can you make a timeline with the linked footage.  Then add a second video layer to the timeline, Mark in and out around all of the clips in this timeline and make a video mixdown of the selected timeline.

If that works......... edit the mixdown on to the V2 layer using the same Mark in and Mark out as you used to make the mixdown but without overwriting either the V1 video and audio.  

If that works then you can use this timeline in the Source window. From there you can edit normally from the Source timeline.

I would edit using both Source V1 and V2 to timeline V1 and V2 respectively.  This would give me a safety option at output time to use V1,  the original linked  clips,  or if there are issues with that use the V2 mixdown clips cut.

Good Luck,  Alayne.

• Fri, Aug 7 2020 3:17 AM In reply to

• giver
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

thank you for the response, a vidoe mixdown would remove matching back and could create probelms going forward.

HOWEVER, I am pleased to share after a day of my life, the problem was the outside folder had a date of 08/05/20  That prevent it from consolidating, transcoding and importing!

do not use / in any folder at the OS level!

• Fri, Aug 7 2020 3:56 AM In reply to

Great that you have found the solution to the issue. Thanks for sharing the answer with the forum.

FWIW I can see the possible going forward issues with this workaround. However assuming the edit is staying on the same machine I believe that the V1 layer under the V2 mixdown layer is already all matched back to the original linked clips.

Alayne.

• Fri, Aug 7 2020 10:54 AM In reply to

Yes invalid cahracters can be a real headache but you get used to spotting them.

Re the mixing down as a solution. I would mixdown at finishing quality and then export to make a new master clip.

Re ingest that for the edit. That then becomes your source for the conform.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller