Latest post Fri, Sep 18 2020 11:41 AM by danny. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 30 2020 2:23 PM

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 24 2010
    • Posts 88
    • Points 985

MC 2020.6 bugs

I still have solid old MC 8.9.1 in Sierra on one partition but have installed MC2020 on the second partition for assesment, before commiting and opening old projects to it.

My first worry was to dicover the title tool was no longer there. However, I discovered I can still get it (on Mojave at least) via the optional 32 bit download https://esd.avid.com/ProductDownload.aspx?id=2416

It's good to be able to open previous version projects and retain the titles. I will need this ability for some time for long-term projects, so will not be upgrading to Catalina for now. But when you make a new title, it has keyframes front and end, fading in from zero to 100pc over two minutes. You can get round this by deleting the keyframes once edited into the timeline. I imagine this, being a legacy download, is not likely to be addressed urgently, but it needs pointing out.

UME Linking to ProRes mov stereo files brings then in as linked stereo - a real pain since I never use stereo tracks in the timeline. The workaround is to modifly the clip and set multichannel audio to unlinked, separate L-R tracks. The file then behaves normally, playing both tracks in stereo.

Worse, UME linking to mp4 files does a similar thing with the audio but modifying the linked clip makes only the left channel audible -it ignores the right channel. Strangley, if looked at in the timeline, the two (now split) audio channels are there, complete with waveforms, yet the right channel is muted. Linking, then transcoding didn't resolve the issue. There seems no way round this other than to use stereo tracks in the timeline for mp4s - which makes it unworkable in practice. A great shame, since Avid is now much faster with mp4s in the timeline.

Mac 3Ghz 8-core cylinder Xeon E5. 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. AMD D700 graphics x2. OS 10.12.6 with MC/Symphony 8.9.1 and 10.14.6 with MC2020 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 30 2020 2:27 PM In reply to

Re: MC 2020.6 bugs

danny:
    But when you make a new title, it has keyframes front and end, fading in from zero to 100pc over two minutes. You can get round this by deleting the keyframes once edited into the timeline.

This is a known bug. Seeing as the Title Tool is still working in every version not running under OS Catalina, I believe it is being worked on.

Someone else will have to chime in on the rest.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jul 30 2020 3:04 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 289
    • Points 3,060

A few others i've noticed and some requests:

-changing export settings is FLAKY when in the export window. Doing it from user settings works better. There's some weirdness here.

-can't set sidebar name by right clicking in bin (can only do from sidebar)

-when setting sidebar name, the text input should go to the popup window with the text already highlighted so you can start typing a name in it and hit return without having to select the text.

-please add compressed audio option for h264 exports

-We can only option drag a bin to an open bin container if we click option first, should be able to start dragging then depress option.

-I'd like a way to see bin container names in the window menu for easy switching between bin containers.

-Can we set bins to open default with the sidebar closed?

Media Composer 2020.8 / OS 10.15.6 27" iMac 5K 2017 [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 6 2020 11:32 AM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 88
    • Points 985

Another bug with UME is strange format / raster sizes. If I link a ProResHQ (previously made exporting from MC 8.9.1 SAS) with default UME, the Raster Dimension is reported as 1888x1062, and the Format as1062p25 - even though the Video column says 1920x1080. It also fails to display Audio format at all, and also Field Ordering.

The MediaInfo app reports all K as 1920x1080 - but also says "clean aperture" size as 1888x1062.

If I link the same clip via the Quicktime plugin, all reports as expected. If I import the same file as ProResHQ, all seems OK too.

Conclusion: the UME link is displaying "clean aperture" size instead of actual size. Also it's not reading other data (Audio Format and Field Ordering). Can this be fixed next time, I wonder. In the meantime, I need to be aware of changing the link plugin to QT.

Going back to my original bug (above) re stereo audio linking with mp4 and movs, If I set the linking options re multichannel audio to "none", I can link to mp4 with separate audio tracks 1=L, 2=R BUT ONLY if linked via QT. HOWEVER, if I then link a ProRes file via UME, it still links as a combined stereo track, but if I change to QT link, it comes in as 2-tracks stereo.

BTW does anyone know if UME will link to XAVC-s - or do we still need the Nablet plugin (around 89 dollars)?

Mac 3Ghz 8-core cylinder Xeon E5. 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. AMD D700 graphics x2. OS 10.12.6 with MC/Symphony 8.9.1 and 10.14.6 with MC2020 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 6 2020 12:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey there

I have support checking this for you ....

Case # 03995965

marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 18 2020 11:41 AM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 88
    • Points 985

Thanks Marianna, I gather a lot of these UME linking issues are gradually being addresed. HOwever, last week I was editing a music video and came across another surprise on 2020.08. I was trying to play a srereo audio-only track (imported mxf Avid MediaFile, not even linked!) in the soure window. I needed to "rock and roll" the audio and found I couldn't go from forwards to reverse without going via stop, or pause. This never used to be an issue ( I checked by importing into MC8.9.1 to make sure I wasn't going crazy) and drove me nuts trying to play music to find in and out points "on the beat".

Given all the bugs relating to UME linking, I could almost understand if this bug applied to linked material, but this is genuine AvidMediaFiles imported from WAV stereo audio files. Strangely, I can still "rock and roll" if the audio has pictures!

Could this be logged as a bug please.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller