Latest post Sun, Jul 19 2020 1:16 AM by Lixard52. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 18 2020 5:45 PM

• Lixard52
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 15 2014
    • Posts 11
    • Points 130

Importing Quicktime with split audio in MC 2020.5

Hi,

I'm an editor working on my reel and I have .mov files of old episodes I've worked on. The Quicktime files have 4 tracks of audio, two for music and two for dialogue, so that the dialgue can be separated and manipulated without music.

I know it's impossible to do straight imports of mov files (not to mention any other type of video file) in MC 2020, so my strategy has generally been to convert to Mp4 > AMA Link to bring the file in > Transcode to the format I want.

However, this strategy doesn't work in this case because the conversion mixes down the four audio clips into one, effectively cooking the split audio together and making it impossible to work with the way I'd like to.

Does anyone have any strategies for importing a file like this? Currently the only option I can think of is using Premiere to export the individual clips then bring them into Avid and assemble them together in a sequence, but something tells me there's an easier way.

Any thoughts woul be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sat, Jul 18 2020 10:28 PM In reply to

Re: Importing Quicktime with split audio in MC 2020.5

You should certainly be able to at least link to (and then transcode) .MOV files, depending on the codec they are in.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 19 2020 1:16 AM In reply to

• Lixard52
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 15 2014
    • Posts 11
    • Points 130

Re: Importing Quicktime with split audio in MC 2020.5

I probably should have been more clear. The .mov file is actually an Apple ProRes codec and Avid doesn't allow it. The specs of the file are below:

If you know of a way to AMA link a file like this, let me know, or if you now a way of converting the file too enable the multiple split tracks let me knowaswell. The framerate, resolution, etc match the project settings perfectly.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller