Latest post Thu, Jul 16 2020 8:23 AM by Pat Horridge. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 12 2020 2:50 AM

• Jsilva11
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 5 2015
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115

Format option (Grey out)

Hello,

Thank you for any guidance. 

I have recently install MC first 2019.12.1. I'm a new user and I want to make the switch to MC so I'm giving it a test drive. 

So I have installed and selected the MC first option.

Somehow I can't change the format settings from ntsc it's grey out. I want to create an HD project to practice but I can't get pass this. 

Thanks for the help.

I'm running. MAC OS Mojave 10.14.6. Imac pro 10-core, 64GB RAM, 16GB Video. 

iMac Pro 10core, 64GB Ram, 16GB video. OS Mojave 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 12 2020 3:23 AM In reply to

• Jsilva11
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115

Re: Format option (Grey out)

When I start the application under activated: "no options". Not sure is that makes a difference. 

iMac Pro 10core, 64GB Ram, 16GB video. OS Mojave 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 12 2020 11:08 PM In reply to

• Jsilva11
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115

Due to the lack of response, I'm attaching here an illustration of the issue. (please see attached)

It is getting to the point of frustration, and clearly, I'm missing something here, but hopefully, someone in this knowledgeable forum can address my situation. 

I appreciate it. 

• Mon, Jul 13 2020 8:19 AM In reply to

What happens if you create a new project with the desired format? You have limited options to change format once a project is created.

Also remember nonoe of your MC first project bins etc can move to MC regular so if you really want to try MC I'd install the regular MC and use the 30 day trail.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Jul 13 2020 7:12 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,311
    • Points 232,440
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Pat is spot on.....

But then again, he usually is.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jul 13 2020 7:33 PM In reply to

• Jsilva11
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115

Hi Pat, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I'm running version MC First 2019.12. and selected the MC First option. When I create a new project, I don't get options to choose the desired format (see attached)

I understand MC first is limited to HD projects only, but I don't get the option to select the format even when I go into the format menu; it's all grey out (see attached). I don't plan to move sequences across other MC versions.

Is this a license issue?

Is there a way I can get the activation window to activate the 30-day trial instead?

I have tried uninstalling and installing it again, but the problem persists. 

Thanks for any advice. 

• Tue, Jul 14 2020 1:01 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,722
    • Points 44,665

The screen shot you posted shows the Avid project already created and open.

You need to choose the format when you create the project BEFORE you open it.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jul 14 2020 6:26 PM In reply to

• Jsilva11
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115

Hi Jef,

Thank you for your reply. I understand the process, but somehow I don't get the option to select a format when I create a new project. 

The project creation window has no options for formats. So a new project opens in NTSC format and I can't change it. 

Surely I'm missing something here. 

Thanks for any advice. 

• Tue, Jul 14 2020 6:58 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi Jsilva11.

Launch Media Composer First. Before it finshes launching fully into your project, it (should) arrive at a screen asking you whether you want a new project or an existing one; which user settings to use and so on.

If you are not seeing this, then it is possible you need to go to Settings / User / Interface, and uncheck "Automatically launch last project at startup".

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Tue, Jul 14 2020 7:48 PM In reply to

• Jsilva11
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115

Hi Pixel Monkey, 

The program doesn't launch a project when it opens, it goes into the project creation window. 

I arrived at the project creation window to either select a project or create a new one.

So after I create a new project, I don't get asked about formats; it goes straight into an NTSC project. [:'(]

I feel this is a licensing issue or some kind of summer April'ls fool scenario I'm playing on myself unwillingly. 

I have uninstall and reainstall the program under a different user but the nothing changes. 

Thank you for any advice. 

• Thu, Jul 16 2020 3:35 AM In reply to

• Jsilva11
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 10
    • Points 115

OK, after you import the footage and create a new sequence from it, you get asked about setting the project's format. But before that, there is no way in MC First to set project format (Grey out). Oh well, this took me three days to figure it out. It is good to read the manual when dealing with Avid. 

Thank you for all the suggestions.

• Thu, Jul 16 2020 8:23 AM In reply to

This is very different to regular MC hence why I don't reccomend first to those who want to try MC. Better to use the trial MC version and have the full experience.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller