Latest post Mon, Jul 6 2020 7:26 PM by CinéMatica. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 4 2020 7:25 PM

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 189
    • Points 2,205

Avid Media Composer and 4K computer screens

Is Avid now supporting 4K or higher resolution computer screens in a decent way? I Couldn’t find much online, and what I have been reading from some time ago, was not so good.

I am updating my editing suite and want to buy a new screen. Because of a bug in Media composer, that sets my saved two screen layout back to the default one screen every time I start Media Composer, I was first leaning forwards to buy a Dell U4919DW 49” Ultrawide monitor (2K QHD 5120 x 1440). This way I would have two 27” screens without a bezel on one monitor.

But after some further online research I found out that for less than the price of the ultrawide I can buy two Dell U2720Q (4K 3840 x 2160) screens. This means that I get a lot more screen estate for my money.

The screens will only be used for the Avid interface, not as a preview or program monitor. Other applications that I use are Pro Tools, Photoshop, After Effects, etc.

Can anyone confirm that two 4K 3840 x 2160 screens (this means 7680 x 2160) will be working fine without any zooming or scaling? I hate to buy something new and then take two steps back to get it work properly. Or am I living too much with my head into the clouds and is Avid still running behind on this in 2020?

If you had the choice, which one would you prefer? The two 4K’s, or would it be better to stick with the ultrawide with less resolution for now?

I am running Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 1909 OS Build 18363.535 and a NVIDIA Quadro P4000 on a HP Z840.

Thanks in advanced!

Ivan

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 5 2020 11:55 AM In reply to

• mrtymcln
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 72
    • Points 785

Re: Avid Media Composer and 4K computer screens

Windows can be finicky with multiple displays at different reseloutions/scaling. As long as you're on the new Avid UI with matching displays/prefs, you'll be sweet. Yes

FWIW I run two identical UltraFine 4Ks on a Mac Pro, and have had no issues whatsoever.

Media Composer 2019.6 with PF and SS | 2015 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 5 2020 2:01 PM In reply to

• daapap
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,910

although i do not use AMC anymore regularily i still keep in touch looking at all the major new editions.

AMC 2020 is a big step forward regarding the GUI (while AMC 2019 was a mess in my eyes). First time you have fully scalable interdependent windows and palettes and the possiblity to place windows outside the main frame. You can even change the font size of the effects palette! And audio mixer and tc window do not vanish anymore behind other windows! Give it a try.

A monitor like 49" Ultrawide is a good choice imo. I use a Philips 499p9h - much cheaper, good monitor, built in kvm switch, webcam aso, 65W USB C to hook on and charge my Dell Laptop with one single cable - it's worth a look at. (I don't use it as a reference monitor for video or Photoshop, of course.)

I had all kinds of two monitor setups before, but i really like working without any division in my workspace very much.

AMC supports working like that with one minor but annoying flaw: Every time you switch to another workspace the GUI jumps back to fullscreen, that makes it allmost impossible to have any other application visible besides AMC when you work with only one monitor.

Anyways, its working fine for me with Avid and Adobe and everything. And a second, but smaller monitor for other applications might be worth to consider.

• Sun, Jul 5 2020 4:27 PM In reply to

I have used (basically) boh of your options.

I ran ultra wides for a while (yes two of them), mine were a bit smaller than your option, as they were basically two (4) 1920x1080s next to each other.  I liked them for the timeline in avid, but wasn't a fan everywhere else.

In the end I was still dealing with 1080 vertical resolution, although, yes, much wider.

I've switched to two LG4k displays, and am much happier. That extra real estate makes a huge difference in every program I use.  It does take a while to get used to the text size, and as I get older, i admit to setting my displays to something a bit smaller than 4k to help out with the text, but i've never had an issue inside Avid with the 4k displays, and have been on them since since V2018.*   That being said, i didn't screw around with my screen setups too much in Avid anyway...mostly run presets and edit, with the occasional resize of the timeline area.

Current Avid-Z390 dual boot Win 10/Hackintosh Intel i9 64gig ram Radeon VII MC 8.10 - Win 10 64 Gig Ram Nvidia 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 6 2020 7:26 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 189
    • Points 2,205

Thanks for all your input guys!

Good to hear that Avid can handle those displays without significant problems.

I really like the design of a 49" ultrawide, but I find vertical resolution a little bit on the low side on the Dell, LG, Philips and Samsung. And what bothers me with two 27" 4K Dell displays, is the edges in the middle of the two screens. They are getting smaller and smaller every year, but still.

Difficult choice.

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller