Latest post Tue, Aug 4 2020 4:07 PM by Pat Horridge. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 26 2020 4:34 PM

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 1 2012
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 70
    • Points 735

ARM vs Intel: Which Macintosh to Buy?

Hello everyone!

Having edited with Avid for quite a while - I can't help the joke "I'm over 21" Wink-, I've passed through several plattform eras, like 68k, PPC, Intel... Windows... several competitors, like Discreet Logic Edit, Final Cut Pro, Edius, Premiere... I elected Avid's Media Composer and Pro Tools... and Mac -  eventough I dumped Apple a few years ago, for sticking with the so called trash can and not being fond of a lot of their philosfies.

My experience with the Mac - cosmetics aside which became worse and worse, since Yosemite - is much more seamless, allowing me to work faster and be more productive. Just to be clear, I don't work for Apple.

Presently, I work in a hybrid Mac+Win environment, which gives me this perception.

Bottom line: My best system is a Media Composer, running on a Mac.

That said, I'll need to acquire a new desktop Macintosh in a 6 to 12 month timeframe. So, I carefully watched WWDC 2020 keynote and related John Gruber's Talk Show, with Craig Federighi and Greg Joswiak, where rumors became real news, regarding the transition from Intel to ARM.

This makes me a little (better to say a lot) causcious... because... I've gone through this before, when Apple moved from PPC to Intel. At that time, I needed urgently to buy a system... which ended up being discontinued 3 months later... right!... Huh? and limited by the lack of software support. Although the machine was powerful, it was rendered precociously obsolete.

Then there's the question on what will be Avid's response to this move. How long will take to release a Media Composer version compatible with ARM? For how long will Intel be supported? In which will Media Composer perform better?

Some would say it is too soon to consider all this. However, this time, I want to avoid history to repeat itself. I need my investment to last. Many has to be known, many doubts will have to be clarified, but, right now, they all come down to one simple question - which might not have a simple answer...

As Apple is yet to launch a last batch of Intel Macs, what will be the best option:

- The latest Intel Mac
    - The first ARM Mac

I would like to know your insights.

Thank you all very much for reading.

MC 8.8.5 | PT 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac 21,5" - i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB | Caldigit AV Drive 1 TB. [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

Media Composer editor, since 1997.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Jun 26 2020 10:01 PM In reply to

• jray
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 1 2011
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

Re: ARM vs Intel: Which Macintosh to Buy?

That's a really tough situation to be in. For years I've been saying my next editing system would be a PC because I'm tired of the constant OSX upgrades, but when it came time to get a new system I bought a refurbished 2019 MacBook Pro. I did so just about a month ago because I really needed to replace my 2009 Mac Pro, which had served me very well long past the time I thought it would. The very quick switch to Apple Silicon concerns me a bit, but I take some solace in the fact that I can also run Windows on my new MacBook Pro. In the absence of an announcement of support from Avid for Apple's new architecture I would say Intel is the better choice for that reason. Although I do think Apple will continue to support their old Intel machines for at least a few years beyond the switch. 

Avid MC 05.2020, MacBook Pro 2019 - 8 Core i9 - Radeon Pro 5500m - 64GB RAM, OS 10.15.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 26 2020 11:29 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 43
    • Points 500

I would go for the latest Intel Mac. You don't want to adopt the first system of such a major transition. It was/ is difficult enough going from Mojave to Catalina and the delays with MC compatibility. The industry goes for stability over latest and greatest. The film I'm working on at the moment is with a 2013 Mac Pro and MC2018 and it's solid. Completely fine for offline and I'm sure for some finishing.

Two year period also and I bet it would be a gradual roll out, starting with the cheaper consumer systems.

• Sun, Jun 28 2020 12:15 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,268
    • Points 15,340

morsey:

I would go for the latest Intel Mac. 

I don't know about that. Not sure there is one clear easy answer.

When Apple moved to Intel some people had the same approach and got one of the last G5 available. Turned out MacPro 1,1 wasn't bad and for a similar price was way more powerfull than the last G5.

Things might be different now - hey, ARM chips are iPad/iPhone CPUs originally, not exactly server grade CPU we see in Mac Pros. Also, Apple's roadmap for us professionals is hard to decipher - is there even a roadmap? One thing for sure, it's been a long series of disappointment after disappointment - and things don't look better as even in its latest release, Catalina is stil ridden with bugs.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 28 2020 2:11 PM In reply to

pierreh:
    is there even a roadmap?
    This Q has me sitting on some cash I would otherwise happily spend on a new Mac.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 28 2020 5:57 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 43
    • Points 500

pierreh:

morsey:

I would go for the latest Intel Mac. 

I don't know about that. Not sure there is one clear easy answer.

When Apple moved to Intel some people had the same approach and got one of the last G5 available. Turned out MacPro 1,1 wasn't bad and for a similar price was way more powerfull than the last G5.

Things might be different now - hey, ARM chips are iPad/iPhone CPUs originally, not exactly server grade CPU we see in Mac Pros. Also, Apple's roadmap for us professionals is hard to decipher - is there even a roadmap? One thing for sure, it's been a long series of disappointment after disappointment - and things don't look better as even in its latest release, Catalina is stil ridden with bugs.

Exactly, that's why I'd go for the latest intel mac when the OP needs one in the next 6-12 months, a system that is currently supported. Or PC if you wish. You have to go with what works and is stable. MC support for Catalina is a good example, It took 6 months for MC to be supported on Catalina and I've run into too many problems, I don't use it. We don't know what timeframe MC will be supported for ARM. So in answering the OP's question, I'd advise against the ARM system unless we know it works. I guess we'll find out.

• Mon, Jun 29 2020 10:52 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 70
    • Points 735

morsey:

I would go for the latest Intel Mac. You don't want to adopt the first system of such a major transition. It was/ is difficult enough going from Mojave to Catalina and the delays with MC compatibility. The industry goes for stability over latest and greatest. The film I'm working on at the moment is with a 2013 Mac Pro and MC2018 and it's solid. Completely fine for offline and I'm sure for some finishing.

Two year period also and I bet it would be a gradual roll out, starting with the cheaper consumer systems.

This is a good point.

MC 8.8.5 | PT 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac 21,5" - i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB | Caldigit AV Drive 1 TB. [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Jun 29 2020 10:55 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 70
    • Points 735

pierreh:

However, this is precisely what made me start this discussion.

Miguel

• Mon, Jun 29 2020 10:56 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 70
    • Points 735

Job ter Burg:

pierreh:
    is there even a roadmap?
    This Q has me sitting on some cash I would otherwise happily spend on a new Mac.

And this is my current situation.

Miguel

• Mon, Jun 29 2020 12:07 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 70
    • Points 735

pierreh:

Apple's roadmap for us professionals is hard to decipher - is there even a roadmap?

Here is where we need the insights of Avid people, on what might be Avid's roadmap.

Would anyone from Avid like to share anything?

Miguel

• Mon, Jun 29 2020 1:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,260
    • Points 231,840
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey folks......

The Apple WWDC just ended last week and Avid is working on understanding the impact of the Apple silicon announcement related to Intel and future Macs.  When we have information to share, we will deliver it at that time.....   We don’t expect to have any information for a few months......

Wish i had more to share but I dont right now.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 29 2020 2:06 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 70
    • Points 735

Hello Marianna! 

Nice of you to drop a line.
    I was wondering when you would stop by. Wink

Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully, I can afford to wait those months...

Miguel

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Jun 29 2020 2:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,260
    • Points 231,840
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hello back....

Been a little hectic lately with the FOC program ending and all those students out there needing to get back to studies....

If you dont hear anything in 2 months time, ping me.

Embarrassed

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 29 2020 2:33 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 70
    • Points 735

Hectic as always!...

I sure will.

Maybe just in time for IBC?... Smile

Miguel

• Mon, Jun 29 2020 7:15 PM In reply to

Does this mean the current Intel Mac Pros (the new ones) are already superceded in 2 years?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller