Latest post Tue, Jun 30 2020 9:13 AM by Miguel. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 25 2020 11:19 AM

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 485
    • Points 5,710

Pro Tools/Media Composer Catalina Install

RE: Pro Tools/Media Composer Catalina Install on the same MAC Machine

I was wondering the versions which Avid are offering. If you are running Pro Tools and Media Composer on the same machine, either one or the other does not keep up with the MAC Version.

For Example

Media Composer 2020.6

OSX - 10.15.4

Pro Tools 2020.5

OSX 10.15.3 as in bracket's 10.15.4 not qualified on the Avid knowledhebase article.

So what is the best solution if running Catalina 10.15.3 and running both the above latest verions of Pro Tools and Media Composer on the same machine? What's the latest/safe version of Catalina that will satisfy Avid's testing and not impact on the user? As seems each Avid project is behind eachother, and then the user is waiting for catchup time between both Avid's software on the same computer.

Also the co-install says, any new verison you install, you un-install Media Composer and Pro Tools, then install Pro Tools, make sure to run/open Pro Tools first so it runs once. Then install Media Composer last in that order? I presume that's because Pro Tools/Media Composer is some how sharing the same plugins being made available inside both software?

Thanks,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 27 2020 5:24 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,155
    • Points 24,005
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Pro Tools/Media Composer Catalina Install

Hi Leo,

Here is the latest Co-install FAQ.

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2020 7:45 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 485
    • Points 5,710

Hello Ralph,

Thanks, yes it seems again to be be always one version back 2020.5 not 2020.6 of Media Composer. What are the effects of co-install Pro Tools and Media Composer on the same system, where by the uninstall of Pro Tools and Media Composer, before you add new versions?

In terms, of at some point could we just install over the top negating the uninstall and re-install process? How are Pro Tools and Avid Media Composer sharing, as the FAQ always stated to run Pro Tools, once first before installing Media Composer. Is it some kind of shared audio engine/effects tht Pro Tools and Media Composer are sharing?

Thanks,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2020 10:10 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,418
    • Points 61,120
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

It used to be advised to do a complete uninstall prior to a new install. I stopped doing that years ago and it is no longer necessary. Personally, I am holding off on Catalina.

The FAQ is based on approved systems and beta testing. It offers a level of confidence should you opt to comply with the FAQ. I would argue that you would get the same results with new versions but your mileage may vary and there are of course no guarantees. The fix is simply to reinstall a the prior, approved combo accordiing to the FAQ.

Yes, I believe you install and launch ProTools so that the audio engine is activated so that the MC installer can check to see if it is installed during it's installation process. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about that. [The debate about coinstalls has been going on for decades, fwiw and it is derived from the fact that bought Digidesign ages ago so the coinstall was never "elegant" (The word used in my college computer science program to describe good programming. ;) ]

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 30 2020 9:13 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 1 2012
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 71
    • Points 750

Leo Baker:

If you are running Pro Tools and Media Composer on the same machine, either one or the other does not keep up with the MAC Version.

For Example

Media Composer 2020.6

OSX - 10.15.4

Pro Tools 2020.5

OSX 10.15.3 as in bracket's 10.15.4 not qualified on the Avid knowledhebase article.

So what is the best solution if running Catalina 10.15.3 and running both the above latest verions of Pro 

Hello Leo!

The latest versions of Media Composer and Pro Tools are both compatible wth the latest macOS release - 10.15.5.

Also, don't forget to read the readme file, as it explains the co-instal procedure (page 33).

MC 8.8.5 | PT 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac 21,5" - i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB | Caldigit AV Drive 1 TB. [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

Media Composer editor, since 1997.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller