Latest post Mon, Jun 29 2020 11:11 AM by Miguel. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 23 2020 9:55 AM

Apples move away from Intel CPUs to ARM

So in 2 years Apple computers will be running ARM CPUs not intel.

That will require a seperate code base for Media composer as well as the Intel code base.

The rossetta translation or any sort of emulation just won't cut it for a piece of software that has to work directly with the hardware.

Also as Thunderbolt is Intel based its looking like Apple TB will be dropped for USB4.

So whats the future of Mac in editing with MC?

Answers on a post card (or just reply here)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Jun 23 2020 1:48 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 262
    • Points 2,730

Re: Apples move away from Intel CPUs to ARM

Yeah maybe this is a better thread for all of this. Avid we know this was only just announced but it's something that's been in the works for a while so I assume there's a plan? Is there hope?

And also when will MC 2020 be out of beta (because I still consider it a beta in present form).

Media Composer 2019.12.1 / OS 10.14.6 27" iMac 5K 2017 [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 23 2020 3:11 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,438
    • Points 17,730

I dumped Apple from my phone and PC, and other than a few cosmetic niceties haven't missed it.  Indeed, day to day work became smoother and less frustrating.

I'm not particularly an Apple hater.  I admire their innovations over the years, but on an operational level -- why bother?

• Tue, Jun 23 2020 3:52 PM In reply to

I had an iphone once for a year or so. And it was ok. But then I relaised I was living my life the way Apple dictated. When I move to Android it opened back up to me and I regained the joy of adaptng tecnology to my needs not mine to its.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Jun 25 2020 12:28 PM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,565

perhasp we should have stayed with Acorn :)

https://www.theregister.com/2020/04/27/arm_35_year_anniversary/

RiscPC, Archimedes.....

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 25 2020 12:51 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,360
    • Points 53,885

Maybe time for a Linux version....

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, Jun 25 2020 1:29 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 1 2012
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 55
    • Points 550

TVJohn:

Maybe time for a Linux version....

That would be interesting.
    I would certainly give it a try.

MC 8.8.5 | PT 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac 21,5" - i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB | Caldigit AV Drive 1 TB. [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

Media Composer editor, since 1997.

• Fri, Jun 26 2020 11:17 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,268
    • Points 15,340

I'd be up for that, as long as it adds GPU support - that's the whole point of running Linux for us as you can have many more GPUs in one machine.

Installed Fedora on an old MacBook Pro and I really like it.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 26 2020 11:37 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 685
    • Points 8,610

Does it also mean the end of Hackintosh? I'm guessing they'll find a way of adapting OS11 for Intel PCs.

What about Boot Camp - no more Windows on Macs?

Or maybe you'll be able to run Big Sur on a Raspberry Pi!

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 26 2020 11:42 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 55
    • Points 550

No more Boot Camp.
    No more Windows on Mac.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/25/talk-show-wwdc-gruber-federighi-joswiak/

This is the return of:
    - Rosetta: translate x86 code to ARM and...
    Universal Binaries: fat compliations for both Intel and ARM systems

Intel Macs will be supported for years to come.

https://youtu.be/Hg9F1Qjv3iU?t=2725

MC 8.8.5 | PT 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac 21,5" - i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB | Caldigit AV Drive 1 TB. [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Jun 26 2020 1:33 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 55
    • Points 550

pierreh:

I'd be up for that, as long as it adds GPU support - that's the whole point of running Linux for us as you can have many more GPUs in one machine.

Installed Fedora on an old MacBook Pro and I really like it.

My problem with Linux is that I never worked with it. I don't knows its capabilities, its philosophy, i.e. its workflow. My point of view is that understanding the system itself, not just de application you work with, is imperative, not only to take the best out of it, but also, to know its issues, prevent them and work around them. I do know that Linux and macOS, share a common base - UNIX. I'm also aware that, unlike macOS, Linux allows you to work with the hardware of your choice - nVidia GPU is what pops into my mind, right away. One other thing that confuses me is the diversity of flavours - Fedora, Ubuntu, Red Hat - some free, others paid... which must represent a headace in terms of support. Again, I'm out of my league, here.

This move from Apple is towards the opposite direction of the previous one from PPC to Intel. My guess is that Macintosh will return to be a closed system as it was before, only today, they have the so called ecosystem and much broader user base.

Miguel

• Sun, Jun 28 2020 12:03 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,268
    • Points 15,340

As we spend two months in Lockdown here in Paris, Linux became a little past-time once editing work stopped. Tried several "distros" on a 2014 MacBook Pro and I have to say I'm pretty happy with what I found in Fedora.

Resolve and Lightworks both make Linux versions, and once you're in the application, it doesn't really matter what OS you're using. And Linux is pretty flexible that it doesn't take much time to figure out how to use the "CMD" key for shortcuts that all us Mac users are used to (been on Mac since the 80s...) instead of the "CTRL" that the Windows and the Linux world are used to.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2020 6:57 AM In reply to

I can't make any comments on the technical (dis)advantages of going to ARM. Having moved away from Apple myself and only coming across the occasional MC on mac customer I'm not even able to comment on the latest Mac pro's and Catelina. 

But whatever the technical improvements (or not) might be, if the policies at Apple and Avid do not change and Avid has to start the development and testing when the actual new ARM systems with their new OS's come out, I see no reason to believe that it will not take 6 months to a year. after Apple's release date. for Avid to release a stable version again, followed by Apple OS updates, testing again... the everlasting circle.

From my point of view I can't see any benefits for our industry from this latest anouncement on the roadmap by Apple.  More power per watt is nice for portable devices. On your new Mac pro? 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Jun 29 2020 11:11 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 55
    • Points 550

Jeroen van Eekeres:

But whatever the technical improvements (or not) might be, if the policies at Apple and Avid do not change and Avid has to start the development and testing when the actual new ARM systems with their new OS's come out, I see no reason to believe that it will not take 6 months to a year after Apple release date for Avid to release a stable version again, followed by Apple OS updates, testing again... the everlasting circle.  

Avid could start by applying to this Apple's Developer Program, for transitioning Media Composer to ARM.

Miguel

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller