Latest post Wed, Aug 19 2020 10:36 AM by Thomas Erichsen. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 11 2020 4:54 PM

Will it ever remember my symphony license data?

Hi, I have two questions about Link 2020.

I use my license on a desktop and a laptop. I change between systems regularly. I am logged into my account on link.

For MC I get the option "use this license". For Symphony this never shows up. I always have to copy it in. Of course I can do this but I don´t see the point of the whole software then.

Is there a way to make it stick?

Second question - is there a way to speed Link up? It always needs to think everything over for a few minutes before remembering anything, without even saying that it is still loading. So basically it opens up empty and populates products and licenses after some arbitrary amount of time. How to get donglespeed? Ideally I would want to be (and stay!) logged in and be able to manage licenses in a few clicks and seconds, not many minutes. Not spend the time copying serial numbers like its 1999 and typing logins and passwords every other time. Unfortunately I have to type the password almost always, no idea why.

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 25 2020 12:43 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,370
    • Points 53,980

Re: Will it ever remember my symphony license data?

I usually have to enter the email and password for MC. I think the Link has become somewhat overgrown. A simple license tool rather than a marketing portal would better serve the user.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, Jun 25 2020 1:02 PM In reply to

TVJohn:
    A simple license tool rather than a marketing portal would better serve the user.

My thoughts exactly, John.

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 31 2020 10:02 AM In reply to

How to make link remember my login data? Is it a setting in Internet explorer? Some sort of cookie? I have to enter the data every time. Not convenient and I don´t understand why other functions have been  implemented before this works properly.

• Fri, Jul 31 2020 10:15 AM In reply to

Considering we are technologically in the 1990s with copy-pasting serial number every time, the activation and switching between systems is more work for the user than some cracks used to be decades back. Think about it, Avid.

To clarify, I am totally happy to pay for all the software I make my living on. But I´m not at all happy with link. 

What it should be like is this:

Open Link. Login ONCE and stay logged in forever. ALL available licenses should be transferable with one click, without prior deactivation. The current machine gets the license while the inactive machine loses the license automatically.

Today it´s like this:

When I switch from laptop to desktop or vice versa, I usually have to start the machine only to deactivate. Then I have to fire up my license text file on the machine I want to use, log in every time in order to use my MC license (I´d have to wait a few minutes for link to catch my license data from a server), copy and paste two text strings for my Symphony license. I can spare the login, only I have to enter four strings then. So it´s four strings every time.

Why.    

• Tue, Aug 11 2020 3:26 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,774
    • Points 48,230
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Thomas Erichsen:
    Why. 
    Or why I still use a dongle.

This is an issue of license control. In an ideal situation, you should be able to register the systems on which you want to use MC (and Symphony, etc.) When you log in to the second system, it should warn you that you are about to log out any other system currently logged in with that license and ask what you want to do.

However, for this to work Media Composer would need to constantly check the state of the license while it is running. This is hardly ideal; it adds unnecessary overhead. Imagine if all the systems running at the same time were constantly pinging the license server. It would take a very long time just to get MC started.

I don't know how often MC checks to see if the license is valid. It might only be at system startup. In which case you'd be able to run 2 systems on one license (start 1, transfer the license, start the second one). Or MC may periodically check every 'x' minutes.

But what you're asking for is pretty reasonable; a 2-click solution to deativate the license on one system and activate it on another, and have all the options follow along with it. I suggest putting that one in as a suggestion. It's a good one.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Aug 19 2020 10:36 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

I see your point about pinging the license server. As slow as this server seems to be now, it would be next to impossible to run MC at all ;) But hey, nobody forced Avid to develop this system. My point of view is, it better work smoothly, and it currently doesn´t.

It could check the license maybe every other hour. It might not be too terrible if people would be able to use the same license simultaneously for an hour or two. Nobody would seriously consider working like this.

But that´s management decisions of course, them probably being too terrified of tiny timeframes of unlicensed use, and they don´t care about the inconvenience caused because they themselves never have to actually jump through the all the hoops they built. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller