Latest post Thu, Jun 11 2020 8:20 PM by NYnutz. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 10 2020 7:19 PM

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York State
    • Posts 396
    • Points 4,905

Can I convert AVdn files without compression ?

I am reposting this because it is an urgent issue in my current archiving process.  Marianna, or someone, please answer!

Dear fellow Avid users,

On May 4, 2020 I upgraded Media Composer to version 20.4.0.55005.--the first upgrade since MC version 7.07.  I am running it on an iMac with High Sierra OS 10.13.6.  All files that I have previously exported as AVdn, especially large ones of, say, an average 50 GB, will not open on my desktop anymore. Sometimes QT tries to convert them to tiny mp4 files equivqlent to Handbrake files. 

My goal is to export archival files for preservation, and I find that I can do 10-bit uncompressed as Pro Res 422 or 4444 at large sizes with good results.

However, my question is what to do with the files I previously exported as archival AVdn but which I cannot open anymore. In some cases they are years old, and I no longer have the original timeline masters or the hard drives they were on.

This may be an old issue for Avid; I have been off the forum for a few years. So, forgive me if this has been dealt with before but please refer me to the correct answers.

Many thanks,

marluc

DESKTOP: 27" iMac/3.5GHz Quad Core i7/ 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 8GB/1TBFlash Storage/NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB, running OS X 10.13.6 and MC Ultimate version... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 10 2020 8:51 PM In reply to

Re: Can I convert AVdn files without compression ?

You should definitely be able to open those in Media Composer. And when Apple finally add DNxHD support for Catalina, you should be able to open them with Quicktime Player 10. Until that time, it should work with VLC player etc.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 10 2020 9:28 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 396
    • Points 4,905

Do you mean I have to reimport these files back into Avid in order to export as a more accessible or srchival file? Specifically, uncompressed 10-bit.  But what if the file is only an Apple Pro Res 422? Or worse, an mp4.  What good is that for archival export? I have tried VLC and it won't play without freezing and stuttering.

DESKTOP: 27" iMac/3.5GHz Quad Core i7/ 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 8GB/1TBFlash Storage/NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB, running OS X 10.13.6 and MC Ultimate version... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 10 2020 10:00 PM In reply to

Not sure why you want to re-encode them. I'm pointing out that those AVdn files (DNxHD) are far from obsolete. And if they are AVdn, they are not mp4's.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 11 2020 3:17 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 396
    • Points 4,905

Job,

Many thanks for your patience. Let me just clarify what you are saying.  In other words, the AVdn files are still totally fine, and if I eventually install Catalina (when it recognizes them), I will be able to open them with QuickTime?

I am just concerned about their long-term viability as archival resources. In your opinion, what is the best codec for this purpose?

marluc

• Thu, Jun 11 2020 3:21 PM In reply to

Not that its possible in Avid but a  lot of places I support are working with MKV containers and FFV1 codec (2:1 lossless compression) its all open source.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Jun 11 2020 8:20 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 395
    • Points 4,680

sounds like when you uninstalled media composer, you also uninstalled the quicktime components that are now "legacy." Since you are on an older version of MacOS, this should be as simple as installing the legacy quicktime components from the media composer installer and making sure you have quicktime v7.7.9 installed. Quicktime Player X still doesn't support DNX and will attempt to convert it. Spacebar preview doesn't work, afaik, but you can set QT7 to be the default app for MOV files. ymmv.

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller