Latest post Mon, Jun 8 2020 3:59 AM by Eric. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 5 2020 7:49 AM

• Eric
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 10 2012
    • Anderson
    • Posts 13
    • Points 130

SYS_ERROR, OSErr:-5000 I've tried everything

I know there are dozens of threads on this issue, but I've tried every single fix suggested, and non of them are working for me. Tech Support has been very slow in responding under the circumstance.

I launch AVID Media Composer Ultimate

It goes through the entire launch process.

Then stops with the alert box - SYS_ERROR, OSErr:-5000

Multiple posts have suggestions and I've tried them all.

I repaired Home Permissions on the Mac

I reinstalled the OS. (They told me 10.15.4 would be reinstalled, but it upgraded to .5)

I started without external drives attached.

I removed all Cache files, I removed all the preference files.

No matter what I do I still get the error.

>I do NOT get the error when I sign in under a new user<

I cannot find the corruption in my admin user, thinking the cache or prefs would have fixed it, but it didn't.

Any additional thoughts would be great before I erase everything and start from scratch.

Catalina 10.15.5 with Media Composer 2020.5 on a 2017 27" iMac. 64gig ram, SSD external RAID-0 Media drive

-e

Late 2015 27" iMac 64 gig ram 500 gig SSD Catalina 10.15.5 Avid Media Composer 2020.5 4tb SSD External RAID 0 / OWC 12tb RAID 5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2020 10:21 AM In reply to

Re: SYS_ERROR, OSErr:-5000 I've tried everything

Eric:
    I do NOT get the error when I sign in under a new user

If this is the case, then the solution is to abandon your old user and create a new one. 

FWIW, creating a new user was mandatory when upgrading from the old UI (2018.x) to the new one (2019.x or 2020.x).

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 12:24 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,311
    • Points 232,440
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Open a Finder window and select the icon of your home folder in the sidebar.

Open the Info window.

In the Sharing & Permissions section, you should have read & write access.

I suggest you delete all other entries. Click the lock icon and authenticate, then from the action menu (with the gear icon) select "Apply to enclosed items." Close the Info window and try again.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 7:05 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Not Ranked
    • Anderson
    • Posts 13
    • Points 130

Thanks Marianna

I did change the permissions to my home folder, and still got thre error. Tried again with "Apply to enclosed items" and still no change. Previously I did this using Terminal "repairHomePermissions" command, not sure oif thats the same thing, with the same result.

I don't know what deleting all other entries means, I only have one user on this computer and its my Admin The permissions are for me/staff/everyone all set to read/write.

Since MC was able to launch with a newly created TEST user, and I've been using this same Mac account log in for 2.5 years now, maybe something is just a little funky somewhere deep into the root structure... I have no idea. BUT I was able to get the 2020 Beta version working just fine with this exact set up some months back before I renewed my license. This allstarted after I renewed and installed the new software 2020.5

I'll let you know how things shake out, and thanks for your speedy reply, I appreciate it.

-e

Late 2015 27" iMac 64 gig ram 500 gig SSD Catalina 10.15.5 Avid Media Composer 2020.5 4tb SSD External RAID 0 / OWC 12tb RAID 5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2020 7:12 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Not Ranked
    • Anderson
    • Posts 13
    • Points 130

Thanks Camo

I think creating a new user might be the most efficient way to proceed. Even though I keep a pretty clean mac, its probably time for me to do a deep clean.

My only concern is potentially deleting settings for the audio/music compositin part of my computer, which is pretty extensive. I've run into conflicts with UAD Audio plugins not allowing Avid to launch, removing those fixed it. But hopefully none of this will destroy internal routing with all my samples and midi instruments with my audio projects.

This is the only reason I'm being overly cautious. Hopefully its not going to affect it.

thanks, appreciate the input.

• Mon, Jun 8 2020 3:59 AM In reply to

• Eric
    • Not Ranked
    • Anderson
    • Posts 13
    • Points 130

Ok I fixed it. And this is something you should have in your trouble shooting guide because the fix was incredibly easy.

I have a 2015 iMac. Back then (SnowLeopard) your USER name could be different than youe HOME DIRECTORY name.

So I named my home directory iMacSSD and my user Eric Anderson. Seems pretty straight forward.

But now with Catalina (and I believe earlier OS although I never had this problem) THEY NEED TO BE EXACTLY THE SAME.

I changed both of those names to be identical, and now AVID boots up, I lost nothing and everything is back to running as I had hoped. The problem was something I entered 5 years ago, renamed everythign and it all works.

Here was the main article I referenced - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller