Latest post Thu, Jun 25 2020 1:14 PM by TVJohn. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 10:32 AM In reply to

Re: Smoothing pans

Thank you for this.  I haven't tried your suggested method yet, as was sidetracked last week.  Looking at it, though, and it concerns me because a "split and weld" operation (I just named it such) instantly does not sound like a solution because even if it did work this one time, over time there will be 2-shots that simply won't match.

NewBlueFX have a stabilizer, which, judging by their promo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HCubEBFtrw) works over however long & changing the shot is.  Can Avid's in-built do the same?

D.

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 5:06 PM In reply to

Hi,

With all the talk before even doing it, I just decided to plonk the Stabilizer effect on the footage and see what's what, and I am really happy with the result.  A relatively smooth tilt & pan is now very smooth tilt & pan.  Fantastic.

A couple of things.  Can anyone point me to a good tutorial that fully explains the Tracking Window and Effects Editor? - see image attached.  Until now it's an automated process, and I feel I need to know what to do for better control.  Also, regarding other effects, say like timewarp and colour correction, what would be the best nesting order?

Thank you,

D.

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 9 2020 11:26 AM In reply to

Can anyone suggest a good nesting order, plus how to manually control the stabilisation process?

• Tue, Jun 9 2020 4:33 PM In reply to

...plus a good tutorial on the Tracking Window.  I cannot find on Youtube.

• Wed, Jun 10 2020 3:46 PM In reply to

Could anyone respond to the immediate two posts above?  Thank you, D.

• Wed, Jun 10 2020 4:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,203
    • Points 231,085
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Dan

Here is a good location....  https://www.avid.com/tutorials?product=Media%20Composer

Going to see if I have Michael Kruliks webinar preso where it is also touched on.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 11 2020 10:20 AM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

Thank you for this, though the one tutorial available at your link I've already seen on YT, and while helpful it really doesn't dig into how to manipulate the tracking window.  This is what I'm hoping to get a handle on.  Does the aditional webinar have further info?

D.

• Mon, Jun 22 2020 1:04 PM In reply to

Jerky Zoom-in

Hi,

This is a continuation from the following thread, https://community.avid.com/forums/p/199557/894862.aspx#894862

I have a clip where mid-way I zoom in, but the initial pulling of the camera zoom produces a jerk.  Working with MC's in-built stabilzer, plus the Avid FX and even NewBlueFX plug-ins, I just cannot seem to smooth-out the zoom so that picks up & flows nicely.  How to deal with this?

DC

• Mon, Jun 22 2020 2:02 PM In reply to

Re: Jerky Zoom-in

It seems like you've been using a number of different tools, working on this a long time without getting the result you want. Is there no way to go re-shoot the shot? Or make a different edit so you don't have to use the part of the shot you aren't happy with?

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jun 23 2020 9:31 AM In reply to

Yes, you're right.  It just seems odd to me that a jerky pan can be smoothed out, but a jerky zoom-in cannot.  Without fully appreciating the technicalities, the editing system surely wouldn't know the difference between loss of specifics within shot in one case or the other.  I will retest/reshoot and see if I can get a smooth zoom-in with my manual lens.  This is a tangent, I know, but would you know a good tutorial explaining how best to achieve a good, in-camera manual zoom-in?  I can't seem to find any on YT.  Thank you, DC

• Tue, Jun 23 2020 11:24 AM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    This is a tangent, I know, but would you know a good tutorial explaining how best to achieve a good, in-camera manual zoom-in?

Sorry, but I don't know of any good camera op tutorials. I'm just an editor. Cameras are heavy and you have to go outside.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jun 25 2020 1:14 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,360
    • Points 53,885

Maybe try a really high resolution pair of still shots from a Dslr camera and then pan and zoom to taste?

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller