Latest post Wed, Jun 3 2020 10:28 PM by Stefan Strom Utopia. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 1 2020 2:31 PM

Serverside encoding solution for lots of temporary users?

Hi.

I have a job that involves a bunch of people (A LOT OF PEOPLE) uploading videoclips (mainly from Iphone) that we are going to insert into a "rockvideo". We have a short window of time (4 hrs, 500-1000 users) for the users to upload and the editor (that me, yupp) to download and insert the clips. So my question is if there is any solution (that is easy to setup and cloud based) that enables users to upload clips, clips gets converted to MXF files (or Prores or any format that is Avid friendly), clips can be quickly downloaded.

Anyone have any tips? Use Frame.io a lot but their proxys are converted to H264 and needs to be Transcoded to be used.

Thanks a lot

Stefan / Sweden

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 12:22 PM In reply to

Re: Serverside encoding solution for lots of temporary users?

Why not have users upload to Vimeo (with the download option enabled)

Somebody previews directly on Vimeo. Downloads those most suiable

AMA cut them direct. Vimeo then acts as the uniformity codec.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 12:50 PM In reply to

Hi Pat.

Vimeo uses H264 as codec for the downloads. That codec is very sluggish to work with using AMA.

I need something that can give me Prores PROXY or even better DNxHD.

Have been looking into cimediacloud.com but not sure yet If I can customize the renders there.

Anyway thank you for the tip:-)

Cheers / Stefan

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 2:10 PM In reply to

• Ryan Johnson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 53
    • Points 670

You might try AWS Elastic Transcoder or Telestream Cloud... It may take some pipeline skills to get these working, but I believe they both support writing DNxHD OP-Atom MXF.

The challenge we've faced is receiving the original files from iPhones, etc. In order to obtain the original recording from the phone (typically MOV wrapped HEVC or h.264), it can't be emailed or sent via SMS/Messages since the phone will compress it first.

You'd need to find some way for the users to deliver their original files to cloud storage where your transcoding app can work on them.

Please share what you find. This has become a pretty common workflow for us, and I'm sure for others as well.

Thanks!

iMacs, MacPro's, OSX 10.14.6, MC 2019.12, Nexis 2019.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 3 2020 10:28 PM In reply to

We are going to try out cimediacloud.com which can transcode to DNxHD files. Exciting. 

If that works well it could actually be faster that transcoding locally.

Will report:-)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller