Latest post Fri, May 29 2020 9:01 PM by Ryan. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 27 2020 9:27 PM

• Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando
    • Posts 22
    • Points 280

NEED Help with file conversion that Media Composser accepts

OS X Catalina / MC 2020.4

I'm running into a issue importing files into MC 2020.4 using OS X Catalina. I get an error message "The file format (bla bla bla - example) is not supported for import"

I work with all types of files and now that Catalina and Media Composer 2020.4 doesnt have QT. What does everyone use to convert there files and what do you convert them to for AVID to accept them???

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Macbook Pro Catalina 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 27 2020 9:46 PM In reply to

Re: NEED Help with file conversion that Media Composser accepts

I use Shutter Encoder and convert them to DNxHD. I'm sure other people will chime in with other ideas.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, May 27 2020 10:09 PM In reply to

• Leo153
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 1 2007
    • Lenox, MA
    • Posts 412
    • Points 5,135

MC on Catalina is a JOKE!!!!!!!

It hates most file formats for import AND linking!

I have been with MC since Avid DV on PC platform, but this uter disgrace on IOS Catalina is sad. Why did you even bother releasing it Avid????????????? When things get better I certainly hope your engineers take a serious look at the current short falls.

Disappointed beyond words.

MC 2018.12, BCC 10, Nvidia Quadro K4200,ver.340.84, QT 7.7.4, HP Z840 3.06 12 core, 32 Gig RAM, G-Tech G-Speed eS, 12 TB RAID5, GTech Studio 6TB Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, May 27 2020 11:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,311
    • Points 232,440
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Leo....

Breath in ... Breath out.......  Catalina is a new OS entirely and many are trying to get rid of the dependancies of QT. With that said, there are a host of new ways to use the UME and codecs that are different now.  They are working on improving and adding to the new UI and we released one today actiually....  2020.5.

Email me specifics that you find difficult and I can help and make sure if they are actual issues, that they are logged and or you are notified when fixed.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, May 28 2020 11:25 PM In reply to

• Leo153
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 1 2007
    • Lenox, MA
    • Posts 412
    • Points 5,135

Thanks- I'm calm now...

It's just frustrting wasting time transcoding to a flavor the editor will accept. I've gone back to PC for now, will keep an eye out for updates for iOS Catalina.

All better now... Leo

MC 2018.12, BCC 10, Nvidia Quadro K4200,ver.340.84, QT 7.7.4, HP Z840 3.06 12 core, 32 Gig RAM, G-Tech G-Speed eS, 12 TB RAID5, GTech Studio 6TB Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, May 29 2020 8:04 AM In reply to

Leo153:

Thanks- I'm calm now...

It's just frustrting wasting time transcoding to a flavor the editor will accept. I've gone back to PC for now, will keep an eye out for updates for iOS Catalina.

All better now... Leo

Leo this is the life you live if you work with the Apple OS. I've been with Avid since it was only available on Macs and seen the Apple hardware changes prevent the required Avid cards being supported. Seen 2 sets of expansion chassis introduced to resolve the issue only for the next Apple hardware release to make them redundant.

Apple chose to operate in a way that allows them to make a great song and dance when they release new hardware and software. But for those providing applications to run on them it leaves them in the lurch trying to work out how to resolve the changes Apple has introduced.

More than once the final release of their OS has had a last minute change that broke functionality of 3rd party software. Even today there is a long list of apps not working correctly under Catalina.

If the Apple OS and hardware is all you can use then its just the price as a user you pay. I use Mac and PC (whichever tool does what I need best, the most ecconomically) but for my own systems its got to be PC. 

It hs to be said that Apple had flagged that QT would be going and Avid could have spent time preparing for that in advance but that would be development time not spent on improving the product and competing with the competition.

No good having a QT replacement especially if Apple had continued to support QT and losing client base due to lack of visible development.

So Avid tread a thin line on what they use their developer resources on (and this isn't the same as the Adobe development team)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, May 29 2020 8:05 AM In reply to

Leo153:

Thanks- I'm calm now...

All better now... Leo

Leo this is the life you live if you work with the Apple OS. I've been with Avid since it was only available on Macs and seen the Apple hardware changes prevent the required Avid cards being supported. Seen 2 sets of expansion chassis introduced to resolve the issue only for the next Apple hardware release to make them redundant.

Apple chose to operate in a way that allows them to make a great song and dance when they release new hardware and software. But for those providing applications to run on them it leaves them in the lurch trying to work out how to resolve the changes Apple has introduced.

More than once the final release of their OS has had a last minute change that broke functionality of 3rd party software. Even today there is a long list of apps not working correctly under Catalina.

If the Apple OS and hardware is all you can use then its just the price as a user you pay. I use Mac and PC (whichever tool does what I need best, the most ecconomically) but for my own systems its got to be PC. 

It hs to be said that Apple had flagged that QT would be going and Avid could have spent time preparing for that in advance but that would be development time not spent on improving the product and competing with the competition.

No good having a QT replacement especially if Apple had continued to support QT and losing client base due to lack of visible development.

So Avid tread a thin line on what they use their developer resources on (and this isn't the same as the Adobe development team)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, May 29 2020 9:01 PM In reply to

• Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Orlando
    • Posts 22
    • Points 280

Marianna,

Hi There. Are you able to ask your techs what media Media Composser 2020.4.0.55005.0 like the best to import files. Like I said I get all different file formats from record labels for there music videos and I need something Avid will import and kick back out high res 720 files and what program they like the most to convert the files to the format they recommend?

Please and Thank you in advance

Ryan

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

Macbook Pro Catalina 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller