Latest post Fri, May 22 2020 11:06 AM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 22 2020 9:50 AM

• Romain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 8 2010
    • France
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

MC v2020.4 video codec rate

Hello all,

I have a bit of a rookie question here, about the changes that appeared with MC v2019 and v2020, and I hope this is the good spot to post it.

On the new Media Composer v2020.4 interface, there has been changes regarding the naming of the video codec used. Before v2019, we could select to transcode or output file in video format like DNxHD120, or DNxHD 185 X, and I would then be able to estimate the bandwidth required for each of these rates.

Now I can't seem to find a way to display the bandwidth or rate of my media files, as the only information I have is about the type of DNxHD codec I can use (SQ, HD, HQX, and so...). In MC, it seems not possible to display that information, even with the inspector tool. And if I want to export my sequence to a specific rate, I can't properly and must choose between the SQ, HD and others options, without specific Mbps rates.

I have searched for informations over avid force and other website resources, but could not yet find a match pointing me what was the rate equivalent to SQ, HD, HQX, like this page for DNxHR :

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/White_Paper/DNxHR-Codec-Bandwidth-Specifications

The only webpage regarding DNxHD still refers to DNxHD 36, 120, 185, etc... :

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/White_Paper/HD-and-SD-Media-Bandwidth-Specifications?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2FWhite_Paper%2FDNxHR-Codec-Bandwidth-Specifications&popup=true

Would you kindly enlighten me on this ? I must have missed something basic here, but I searched for myself to no avail, so I humbly request your help.

Thank you.

Regards.

• Fri, May 22 2020 10:06 AM In reply to

Re: MC v2020.4 video codec rate

Hi,

The MC 2020.4 What's New document has a chart on page 8 that shows what old resolutions the new ones are equal to. I think that's what you're looking for.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v20.4.pdf

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, May 22 2020 10:56 AM In reply to

• Romain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 8 2010
    • France
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hello camoscato,

Oh... I must have been blind as I scrolled... I feel a bit dumb now...

Thank you for this.

Regards.

• Fri, May 22 2020 11:06 AM In reply to

You're welcome, Romain! :)

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller