Latest post Sat, May 23 2020 5:08 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 20 2020 11:34 PM

• Ryan Johnson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 52
    • Points 655

Nexis over WAN: Hear me out

I know that Nexis Client Manager can't be expected to work over a WAN connection for all kinds of reasons- latency, limited bandwidth, etc.- but I'm wondering if there's a solution for providing Nexis-style bin locking for users collaborating remotely. I am not expecting to playback media from a Nexis over a WAN connection, just to access bins and project metadata the way we're used to on premises. The goal would be project sharing/bin locking over the internet, with local copies of the media at each end.

I have yet to try out Nexis Cloudspaces, but my understanding is that while these workspaces can be mounted and accessed via the Nexis Client Manager on an editor's computer, they can't be used for realtime access to media and project data (again, for obvious reasons.) Still, since bins rarely get larger than a few MB, could Media Composer open a project directly from a 'Cloudspace' while using media stored on a local disk?

I've also heard of a product by StorageDNA called Fabric, which I believe puts some filers and cache in front of a Nexis in order to facilitate project sharing and general file syncing across remote endpoints. Has anyone used this product?

Any other third-party solutions out there?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

iMacs, MacPro's, OSX 10.14.6, MC 2019.12, Nexis 2019.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 23 2020 5:08 PM In reply to

Re: Nexis over WAN: Hear me out

I'd be interested to know if you find anything out. We are in a similar situation (local media but wanting to share a cloud-based project with bin locking). I'm wondering if Mimiq can be used with AWS or something like this?

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.8 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller