Latest post Thu, May 21 2020 5:41 PM by Kyler. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 20 2020 8:27 PM

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 84
    • Points 950

Finishing export of 4K iPhone 11 Pro Footage - What Resolution?

I shot 4K 24 frame on an iPhone 11 Pro. 

AMA linked and transcoded to DNxHR SQ

Cut the film. It's a short film - 14 minutes long.

Relinked back to source AMA.

Now I need to kick out a final file that will go to Adobe Media Encoder and then to an online streaming platform like Vimeo or YouTube. Also might burn it to media, but right now that's not the plan.

The question:

Should I do uncompressed DNxHR 8-bit out, and let Adobe Media Encoder do all of the compressing, or should I do DNxHR HQX out and then feed that into Adobe Media Encoder?

I know, it's just iPhone 4K, but technically it's 8-bit stuff, and I just don't want to lose quality that I don't have to.

Thank you!

Macbook Pro / G-Raid Shuttle [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | kylerboudreau.com

Filed under:
  • Thu, May 21 2020 5:19 PM In reply to

Re: Finishing export of 4K iPhone 11 Pro Footage - What Resolution?

Do a short test with say 30 secs of content. But I'm I suspect even the DNxHr SQ content will look the same as anything else you export.

No need to go to HQx as thats 10 bit which you don't have DNxHR HQ will be more than enough.

Check the DNx exports then compress them and chekc the compressed versions.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, May 21 2020 5:41 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 84
    • Points 950

Re: Finishing export of 4K iPhone 11 Pro Footage - What Resolution?

Oh thanks! I didn't realize DNxHR HQX was 10-bit! Helps a lot. And yeah, test makes sense.

Macbook Pro / G-Raid Shuttle [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | kylerboudreau.com

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller