Latest post Sat, Jun 27 2020 3:13 PM by Mercer. 19 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 3:10 PM In reply to

Re: Do I need a (Avid Artist) I/O?

Mercer:

Does the transport work well in Avid?

It works, but it ususally just sits there on my desk. MC's interface just isn't really tailored to being operated that way, or at least I found it never made its way into my everyday workflow.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 4:22 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 685
    • Points 8,610

I've used the Artist color with Symphony, Resolve and Baselight Editions.

With Resolve and Editions it works well. In fact with Editions, you don't use the Eucon software to communicate, as it seems to connect directly with the panel through ethernet once you assign an IP address in the Baselight settings. (best to have a fixed address for the panel rather than DHCP).

Not found any way to reassign the panels from within Resolve or Editions, and it's likely to stay this way since there's been no development of the Artist Color for many years and it's now officially EOL. Whatever bugs/deficiencies are there, are likely to stay that way. 

In Symphony (as I've already mentioned) the panel is somewhat laggy. If you move a ring/ball/knob slowly, it seems to respond, but large movements seem to get ignored. Is it better than no panel? Yes, I think you'll still work faster with the panel than without, especially once the muscle memory kicks in. Remember, you can make multiple adjustments at once (eg. lift and gain) which isn't possible with a mouse. I've used an Artist transport with MC and that works reasonably well, but the Artist Color also acts as a transport controller through it's balls and rings when you're not in CC mode.

In conclusion, would I buy a new Artist Color (they were around $1200) if one was available? Probably not, but at around $350 for a second-hand one, you can't really go wrong, even if you end up using it in only one of the three grading applications mentioned. It really depends whether you'll reap the rewards of spending the time learning to get-up-to-speed with what all the controls do, as there's a fair bit of switchings pages and banks to get to all the functions you might need. If you're likely be buying another make of panel in 6 months time, it probably isn't worth bothering with the Artist Color.

I think you've just had bad luck with finding a decent second-hand model. I'm sure there are some out there, and maybe a quick request on forums like this will yield results. As Job says, he has two collecting dust.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 6:34 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,545

Bruno M:

In conclusion, would I buy a new Artist Color (they were around $1200) if one was available? Probably not, but at around $350 for a second-hand one, you can't really go wrong, even if you end up using it in only one of the three grading applications mentioned. 

Thanks very much Bruno. Unfortunately I've arrived at a different conclusion. I'd be wasting money. I need something soon. On ebay uk they look stuffed, and they're going for more. Resolve is the way forward for me. Symphony is good for quick and dirty and a lot of TV broadcast quick turnaround but Resolve trounces it for serious work. A control surface will speed that up. Plus I should mention that it's going to be awkward on the desk - so too the BMD micro panel - the Tangent wave2 will slip behind the laptop when not needed and rest on it, right in front of me when it is. I wish it had greater functionality in Resolve and I would love that maybe one day we could see it working with Symphony but that is just a bonus. Everything's a compromise but the workflow outways the downside. If it doesn't it will simply go back.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 23 2020 6:29 PM In reply to

I'll chime in here with my 2 cents.  I own an Artist transport, Artist colour, and Artist Control.  I have at one time or another used them all with Avid DS, Avid Media Composer, and Davinci Resolve, although because of my workflow, the Colour panel was used mostly for Resolve and DS...can't really speak to it for Media Composer/symphony.   

I would add that DS actually had the symphony colour corrector in it, which is what i used for years for major broadcast pieces, as well as anything else that came in the door.  The color panels worked very well with DS, but when DS was EOL, i switched mostly to Resolve and MC.

The Colour panels worked very well in Resolve as well, and although i have since gone with the Mini Panel, I know they still work well in Resolve, as they were recently used by a colourist buddy on a police procedural that he was colouring, and I was onlineing.

As for the Transport and the Artist Control, i loved both of them, but typically, would have 1 on one box, and the other on a separate box.  The control basically does everything the transport can do, plus more, although the transport has a much nicer jog wheel.  Again, both these items worked with Resolve and DS as well.  The beauty of them was you are simply applying keystroke commands to them, so pretty much anything that has a keystroke equivilant, can be mapped to a button, or in the case of the Control, a touch screen area.  Control also having the advantage of the audio mixer faders for quick and dirty offline mixes.   

But as they became long in the tooth, and the software updates stopped,  i looked elswhere, which is where i settled on the Minipanel, and then late last year, i bought the Protools dock.  While the mini panel is Resolve only, it is absolutely fantastic to work with.  (It also means my transport, control and colour are in a box in the basement)

The Protools dock works in Resolve, much like the Artist Control did.  Touch screen controls, and buttons that can be mapped to keystrokes.  You do have to supply your own tablet for it however.

As for MC, the Dock's jog wheel is very smooth.  I use it in conjuction with a series of stream decks for all my usual suspects of edit commands.  I try to use the keyboard as little as possible, and have cut down on my mouse work, and carpal tunnel pains as well.  For the process of editing, i'm quite lost without the combo of the Dock and the Streamdecks.

If i had to recommend spending some money on a startup edit suite, i would suggest the Stream deck is probably the most usefull device i have purchased in a long time.  Once you learn how to set up macros, and scripts in it, you can practically do anything.   

I've told a few people this one...

One of my presets is my audio replace preset.

I cut without ambience quite often, but at the end, need to cut ambience back into the timeline on what ever channel.

I have a macro built in stream deck that with the push of 1 button, moves to the start of the edit, matches the frame, selects the record side for Audio 3/4, selects the source side for 1/2, performs an edit.   I can then just jump to the next edit, and hit the button again.  I've added ambience to huge timelines in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes.  I keep wanting to build in a command to go to the next edit automatically and repeat...but havent' got there yet.  In that scenario, i could do it all with 1 button push.    

My point is that this equipment does have it's uses, but you might not ever find 1 item that covers everything, and lasts forever...but that is the nature of the business.

Back to the original post, i've always found the Avid I/O cost a bit prohibitive for the bang for the buck.  Once I retired my DS Nitris and Avid Adrenaline box, i switched to cheaper BM cards, and haven't looked back.

Current Avid-Z390 dual boot Win 10/Hackintosh Intel i9 64gig ram Radeon VII MC 8.10 - Win 10 64 Gig Ram Nvidia 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 27 2020 3:13 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,545

Thanks Glenn, very insightful. The Stream deck is not for me since it's a solution to a problem I don't have. One of the strengths over the years of Avid is its keyboard and mouse paradigm, which is still better than any other IMO. Since apart from my own small facility I often work freelance at a variety of places I don't want to unlearn the (very quick) muscle memory I already have and where I would need to bring a lot of outboard peripherals. I can only see the need for a colour panel and jog/shuttle/mixing consoles that would aid CC and audio mixing respectively - though these are not essential - I used a Digi002 with Avid/Pro Tools for a long while until it failed but even then I didn't really rely on automation. I recently acquired a ShuttlePro V2 and use it for my left hand but even that is nice but non-essential.

I can however see the real productivity speed sense for a Colour panel since I am doing more and more involved CC in Resolve - interesting what you say about the mini panel, it seemed quite limited to me but you seem to suggest not?

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller