Latest post Wed, May 20 2020 8:01 PM by TrevorA. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 18 2020 6:44 AM

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

How does Avid cache work for linked files?

I create a graphics file in AE and link in AMC & cut into sequence

I then update the graphics file in AE and write over the original file.

Original file still shows in AMC.

Must be cached, so I go to caches and flush them all. Original file still showing. Even after render - which is a little alarming

*Sometimes* flushing the cache will then show the updated file but often not. Live link toggle does not appear to have any effect.

Other NLEs the file is refreshed in the NLE as soon as it is updated on the drive.

All versions inc 2020.4

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 18 2020 11:32 AM In reply to

Re: How does Avid cache work for linked files?

How are you flushing the caches? Is this in the media cache under site settings?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, May 18 2020 7:19 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Pat Horridge:

How are you flushing the caches? Is this in the media cache under site settings?

Yep, is there another way? Other than restarting the app?

It's a bit of an issue as the Avid representation on screen of a file on disk is not accurate utnil application is restarted.

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 19 2020 1:24 PM In reply to

I presume if you quit and relaunch MC the file is updated?

I've been advised the process should be:

In order to fully clear the cached media, the user should clear both the Source and Record monitors first. Then there are two locations to clear under Settings > Media Cache:

Under Video Memory > Flush Frame Cache
    Under File Cache > Flush

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, May 19 2020 5:48 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

That's quite a dance! Probably quicker to restart app. Thanks for asking though

• Wed, May 20 2020 12:09 AM In reply to

TrevorA:

LOL Avid SMH as the kids would say

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 20 2020 6:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

ripvanmarlowe:

TrevorA:

LOL Avid SMH as the kids would say

Andi

Trev and Rip....   I agree.  Pat H.  who told you that info...   you can also email me.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, May 20 2020 8:01 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Part of the issue is checking files that I've inserted into - sometimes the clear monitor/ flush both caches dance works and sometimes I have to delete the AMA master clip & re-AMA to see the file in Media Composer.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller