Latest post Sat, Jun 13 2020 4:22 PM by Glenn Sakatch. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 15 2020 10:57 AM

Workflow to move projects between 2 PC's?

Hi All,

I'm looking for any workflow suggestions for the following scenario: I edit on my PC desktop at home, then in the evenings I'd like to take my project from the PC desktop to a laptop (both on windows 10). What would be the best way to share one media composer license between these two machines, and move projects back and forth between computers? I'd know how to do this in premiere, but don't know where to start with avid. I gather I'd have to set the Avid Media Files, my project folder, and my raw footage to an external drive and simply move that between the computers?

Any suggestions appreciated! 

AVID Media Composer 2020.8 With Symphony, Script Sync & Phrase Find | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 15 2020 12:01 PM In reply to

Re: Workflow to move projects between 2 PC's?

philip kapadia:
    What would be the best way to share one media composer license between these two machines,

There's an app called Avid Link that installs when you install Media Composer, and this is what you use to activate/deactivate your license. The only trick is you have to remember to deactivate machine 1 before you jet off to wherever machine 2 is, because you can't do it remotely. If you forget and you can't get to the active machine, you have to contact Avid Support to have them do it. It's free, but a pain.

philip kapadia:
    I gather I'd have to set the Avid Media Files, my project folder, and my raw footage to an external drive and simply move that between the computers?

Yes. The only tricks are 1) the Avid Projects folder installs on the C: drive by default, so when you create the project you'll have to make sure you create it on the external drive, and 2) for the easiest switching, both machines should be running the same version of Media Composer with the same plugins. You can run between two different versions, but depending on which ones it can require workarounds.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, May 15 2020 12:12 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah that sounds good. I wish avid link had an option to remotley de-activate a licence on one of my computers, would make things a lot easier. It would also be nice if the licence was for 2 PC's so i would not have to de-activate anything xD.

But yeah, i'll run some test projects and post here if i need any help. I should be good though, Only plugins i have are the blend mode plugins which i'll have to install on my second system. (comon avid we need blendmodes!!)

Philip 

AVID Media Composer 2020.8 With Symphony, Script Sync & Phrase Find | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 15 2020 12:18 PM In reply to

p.s I should make a feature request to allow remote deactivation of an avid media composer licence! 

• Sun, May 17 2020 10:52 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 591
    • Points 6,995

Other than sharing an external drive, you can mount the hardrrive in another machine as a network drive in windows explorer. Works perfectly with lan-cabling, maybe even with wifi.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 18 2020 12:43 PM In reply to

philip kapadia:

p.s I should make a feature request to allow remote deactivation of an avid media composer licence! 

I've personally made this request a number of times for a number of years.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Jun 13 2020 4:22 PM In reply to

I used dropbox as the location of my Avid projects folder for years without any major issues.  The only time i got tripped up is if i left the project open at the office, and then opened it at home.  I would get a project conflict error, which creates a duplicate of the project.

I now have my edit suite at home, and use Mimic with a shared server, so have switched away from dropbox.

Current Avid-Z390 dual boot Win 10/Hackintosh Intel i9 64gig ram Radeon VII MC 8.10 - Win 10 64 Gig Ram Nvidia 1070 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller