Latest post Tue, Aug 18 2020 9:35 PM by philip kapadia. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 14 2020 3:27 PM

Is it worth becoming AVID certified?

Hi all,

In about a year I'll be going to university, and they offer avid media composer certification tests. I'd like to ask the community for some suggestions. Would it be worth to get certified in avid, should I do it? or would it be better to focus my time and money elsewhere - for example, the art of cutting and where to cut? I've currently done some online tests, i'm able to get around 70% right at the moment (which im quite happy with atm) Do people care if you're avid certified or?

Philip 

AVID Media Composer 2020.8 With Symphony, Script Sync & Phrase Find | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2020 3:44 PM In reply to

Re: Is it worth becoming AVID certified?

If you're trying to get an entry-level job in post production, Avid certification would be helpful, as it would show a familiarity with the software. It would also show initiative and an understanding of the industry.

If you're trying to get a job as an editor, nobody cares if you're Avid certified. They only care what you've worked on before.

That's my 2 cents. I'm sure other people will chime in with advice.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, May 14 2020 4:01 PM In reply to

Thanks a lot Smile

AVID Media Composer 2020.8 With Symphony, Script Sync & Phrase Find | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2020 7:11 PM In reply to

Getting certified means you need to know how to use Avid as an edit tool. The better you know how to use the tool the easier editing will be. 

So don't aim for 85% or whatever it is aim for 100% and you'll find using Avid even easier. And yes for entry positions its a great help. Knowing some Resolve and Premiere is good as well. At least getting content in and out.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Aug 18 2020 9:13 PM In reply to

As you're in London Philip, spend your time on Avid but also don't neglect basics like how to properly copy and transfer files (rushes), learn about software that helps you get from set to post and what workflows post houses use to acheive this. A lot of the initial jobs you'll be going for at London post houses will be, first, runners jobs, so make sure you can make a decent brew! but then in the data department (copying rushes from set to the facility's nearline, ingesting in to Avid etc). 

The route you'll take will most likely be through the machine room so get a few of the bread and butter assistants tasks under your belt and that will stand you in good stead to get your foot in the door over the other runners when a job comes up.  If I were hiring and a runner had the certification, I'd look favourably on that, and I'd be even more impressed if they told me they understood the difference between nearline and online storage, how to ingest in to Avid, the importance of metadata and knew a bunch about codecs, storage interfaces, frame rates, raster sizes etc.

My other advice, and take this how you will, is to not bother going to film school and just get a job as a runner straight away, save yourself thousands and get 3 years on your peers whilst earning some money (a pittance) at the same time.  There's various pros and cons to this. Uni is a great laugh and a good experience for building social skills that you will need as an editor.  But it's also totally unnecessary in order to become an editor in my opinion.  It depends on how badly you want to start working. 3 years smoking weed and waking up at 3pm may be just what you're looking for after finishing school and I certainly wouldn't blame you.

Good luck mate!

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 18 2020 9:35 PM In reply to

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a long response.

So, I've managed to learn the software, I'm cutting all my client's work on it and I really like it - all going well so far. Last year I did an internship as a video editor at a post house in London (my first ever presence in a professional workspace). There I was editing wedding videos and assisting other editors, this year I'm getting my college (high school in America) to organize me some work experience hopefully as an assistant somewhere. It won't be paid, but better than being a runner! So far i haven't had to make tea for anyone or feel like a footrest. 

It's invaluable for me to know what you'd look favourably on, Without sounding like a smartass I have actually explored all of those terms and do understand - and would be able to answer those questions in an interview. 

Interesting you'd say that about a film school. Everyone's been telling me quite the opposite. I wouldn't really say I'd be going to film school to learn an awful lot (as I can do that at home with an internet connection) but really I'd be going for the experience and the qualification - to prove in paper that I know what i'm doing. 

Philip

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller