Latest post Thu, Jun 11 2020 2:27 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 14 2020 5:11 AM

Import and linking of jpg file sequence broken in 2020.4

Unfortunately, I've discovered that both linking and importing of jpg file sequences is broken in AMC 2020.4.

I have tried a variety of jpg sequences in 8 bit exported from Houdini, and the link gives me a message that about 1-2% of the files cannot be linked and asks if I want to import these. I have tried various sequences, and it does not appear to do with the color space. I might have better luck with exr sequences, but I was trying to save some disk space.

Import will generally pull them all in and has the advantage over linking that they can come in as a sequence rather than as individual images. But regardless of settings,  the quality is bad, even with set to ProRes HQ. If I add this sequence to a timeline and export as h264, the quality is much worse than FCPX, Davinci Resolve, Premiere, or After Effects and the file size is slightly larger than the exports I get from the other programs.

It seems that the new version of AMC is much pickier about images and movie imports than before. To get things to work, I often have to open and resave in Photoshop or Davinci Resolve to get something that works in Avid. It is pretty frustrating.

Avid Media Composer 2020, OSX 10.15 Mac Pro 2019, 16 core, 48 GB memory. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2020 7:00 PM In reply to

Re: Import and linking of jpg file sequence broken in 2020.4

You are on Catalina aren't you. The loss of Quicktime and Avids new UME will uncover some issues I'm sure.

Is it possible to send me a good jpg and a duff jpg so I can pass onlg to Avid to investigate more?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, May 14 2020 8:07 PM In reply to

Yes, it is an issue since I changed to a Mac Pro on Catalina. Any help would be appreciated. There are several steps that don't seem to work correctly in AMC. I can bring them in without problem in other NLEs.

Avid Media Composer 2020, OSX 10.15 Mac Pro 2019, 16 core, 48 GB memory. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2020 9:40 PM In reply to

Email me sample jegs Pat at VET dot Co dot uk

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, May 14 2020 9:52 PM In reply to

Thanks (done). You will see two almost identical jpgs - one will link, the other wont. As far as I can tell, it is quite random which files in a sequence cannot be linked. Note that both can be imported, but there are quality issues with export when I go this way.

The other weird thing is that when I link a few hundred files in a sequence, a small percent (close to 1%) will have different clip durations. The ones with non standard duration will generate errors when I double click them. 

So 1% are lost to inability to link and another 1% link but are corrupted. The total number is not high, but it precludes my using AMC for jpg sequences.

• Fri, May 15 2020 11:24 AM In reply to

I've got a case going with Avid about this. Engineering are testing one of my jpgs that would not link.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, May 15 2020 6:49 PM In reply to

Thank you. I send two consecutive png files to engineering where one will link but the next one will not. The UME linking issue does not appear to be unique to jpg sequences.

A workaround that appears to bypass the problem of linking is to open the sequences in Quicktime, set the time rate and export. That can be linked in Avid Media Composer without issues. However, it crashes on export with h264 settings.

• Thu, Jun 11 2020 1:47 PM In reply to

A quick update. I did my testing (and failures) with MC 2020.4 on Catalina. I have now got 2020.5 installed on Mojave and these jpgs link OK. Not sure if it is the version or the OS that is the issue. I'll go to 2020.5 on Catalina and have a look.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Thu, Jun 11 2020 2:27 PM In reply to

Still NG with 2020.5 and Catalina.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller