Latest post Sat, Jun 20 2020 2:39 PM by Tom Cook. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 13 2020 9:06 PM

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,575

Moving ALL media - Consolidate?

Hi folks and thanks again for an excellent resource. Here's my predicament -

I have been working on an eight-hour documentary and my media (whiole mostly contained on two drives) occasionally got spread over several others (for some reason I'd be layering in transitions, effects, etc. - then notice Avid had defaulted to my OS drive or something).

I am planning on travelling across the coutnry to my producer's location where we will sit down and do a true final cut - but I'd prefer NOT to take all of my hardware just to be sure I don't come acorss that pesky "Medis Offline" error message...

Is there a way I can have AMC open my project and I have it locate ALL media from ALL my attached drives - then transfer (and link, so AMC can find it properly) to another drive or two? That way I can simply take my hard drives tgo some other system with Media Composer and re-commence work there...?

Or am I out of my mind?

Thanks!

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2020 9:13 PM In reply to

Re: Moving ALL media - Consolidate?

MDV should help: http://djfio.com/mdv/

As long as you move or copy the files to an Avid MediaFiles folder that MC can see, there should be no need to relink. As long as we're talking native Avid MXF mediafiles, not AMA-linked sources.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2020 6:25 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,575

Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately the direct link you sent me Norton blocks as a known unsafe website. I'll look into locating MDV elsewhere, though...

Thanks again.

TC

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2020 6:48 PM In reply to

The last windows MDV version is 2008 and only 89K in size.

Happily email it to you (assuming Norton lets you receive an exe file.) email at pat at vet dot co dot uk

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Jun 20 2020 6:47 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 328
    • Points 4,345

I reported to norton ISS, now site marked as safe. Try to download again

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v19.12.0.5; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.15.3 MC 2020.4 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), ATTO NT11;Baselight... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Sat, Jun 20 2020 1:44 PM In reply to

Tom Cook:
    Is there a way I can have AMC open my project and I have it locate ALL media from ALL my attached drives - then transfer (and link, so AMC can find it properly) to another drive or two?

1. Tools > Media Tool

2. Select all drives

3. Select current project

4. Select all media types

5. Click OK

The Media Tool should now be showing all media associated with your current project.

6. Click the Media Tool to make it the active window

7. CTRL+A

All the media you displayed in step 5 should now be selected

8. Clip > Consolidate

In the consolidate window

9. Select 'Consolidate'

10. Select 'Video and audio on same drive(s)'

11. Select the drive you want the media to go to

12. Select 'Create new sequence'

13. Deselect 'Consolidate only AMA linked media'

14. Deselect 'Delete original media files when done'

15. Select 'Skip media files already on the target drive'

16. Select 'Relink selected clips to target drive before skipping'

Assuming all your audio is already at the correct sample rate, bit rate, and format, deselect all the audio conversion options.

17. Click 'Consolidate'

When the consolidate process finishes, you should have a new sequence that references all the media you consolidated to the drive you selected in step 11.

Don't forget to take your Avid project folder for the project with you. In a default setup, this folder is in a different place than the media. On a PC, it's probably in the 'Documents' folder of whatever Windows user account you use when you're running Media Composer.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jun 20 2020 2:39 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,575

MAH-velous, thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller