Latest post Fri, May 15 2020 10:28 PM by Telegram!. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 13 2020 7:30 PM

Avid and Zoom Meeting

HI there

Is anyone doing this in the real world ? It seems pretty straightforward to get the Avid client monitor streamed on Zoom or similiar with NDI. There is even an avid doc about it.. 

But If you want to collaborate rather than just stream ? - So the editor running the avid can interact with other people on the zoom chat. I can see that we can add the mic and PC audio in zoom. I'm just trying to work out realisticaly how that works so there is no feedback or delay. 

Avid suggest doing the Zoom on a different PC to the Avid but then how about sound, the editor is working away with his avid sound but also listening to zoom and his mic is picking up the avid output but also the sound is streamed directly to the zoom chat...

Is this working for anyone? 

Nige

25 MC 8.5 x Mostly PC Terrablock ISIS 1000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2020 9:27 PM In reply to

Re: Avid and Zoom Meeting

Many different ways to do it. Here's how I do it, avoiding the use of headphones.

- MC with an I/O box, output to HDMI

- separate computer #1 running Zoom, with a Magewell USB Capture HDMI, taking HDMI in from MC

- another separate computer #2, also running Zoom, that I use to communicate with the other participants

Computer #1 can use the Magewell device as a webcam, for both picture and sound, and act like a participant, streaming MC's output.

Computer #2 is logged on in Zoom as another particant, and sees and hears exactly what the other participants see and hear.

On Computer #1, in Zoom's advanced Audio Settings, make sure to allow the option 'Use Original Sound', and make sure to click that option once you're in the session. This sends across the sound as it is, without any 'improvement' filters (that would otherwise reduce background 'noise', which is often part of your mix).

If bandwidth allows it, I choose Share Screen on Computer #1, in stead of the regular webcam. Under Share Screen, Advanced Tab, there is an option to choose 'share 2nd camera content', and tick the box that says 'Optimize to Share Videoclip'. This allows you to stream the webcam source (Magewell device) as a screen. The image quality is much better that way, but if the receiving partners don't have a stable connection, you may run into sync issues.

I don't monitor the Avid's output, nor the picture, nor the sound, while working via Zoom. I monitor the Zoom session on Computer #2, as do the other participants. I can just speak out loud, as can they, while we play a sequence.

Delay between MC and Zoom is about 80-120 ms, very doable. In the Zoom room, all is in sync.

Others don't do it this way, and prefer to use headphones. When on Macs, you can use software like Loopback to create various output paths, allowing you to send your Mic + MC's sound to the other participants, while you only hear your MC on your headphones.

You can very well do this with less computers. My main reason for having MC and Computer #1 is that I had issues getting Zoom to recognize the Magewell before recognizing my Matrox I/O, which would cause MC to hang.

In theory, you can do all this without the Magewell adapter, and use a virtual NDI device, broadcast NDI from MC, and use that as a Webcam or Screen Share in Zoom. Others here have manages to do that, but somehow I didn't get the sound to work, and I already had the Magewell thingy, so I stayed with it.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2020 9:35 PM In reply to

Hi Nige

Maybe this helps. I can work perfectly with our customers all over the world. Zoom, Skype, ...

VB-Audio VoiceMeeter

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/

Cheers Andy

HP Z-8 | Xeon 2 x gold 5118 @ 2.3 GHz (12 cores)| 96 GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit | Blackmagic DNxIQ | MC 18.12 | Symphony Option ... [view my complete system specs]

Andy Christen

• Fri, May 15 2020 12:07 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 590
    • Points 6,970

OBS Studio is free, lets you use any program window as webcam.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 15 2020 1:36 AM In reply to

Lukas, Job, all: is it NUTS to attempt installing OBS on the same PC as Media Composer.. and run ZOOM on the same PC?

Is there anyone successful this way? (On a PC)

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 15 2020 9:54 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 590
    • Points 6,970

Telegram!:

Lukas, Job, all: is it NUTS to attempt installing OBS on the same PC as Media Composer.. and run ZOOM on the same PC?

Not really afaik. MS Teams can cause problems because it also uses GPU acceleration. Not entirely sure what for.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 15 2020 2:47 PM In reply to

Telegram!:

Is there anyone successful this way? (On a PC)

Out of interest, why would it be nuts? Because of recourses would be taken away from MC?

AVID Media Composer 2020.4 | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM: 32 GIGS DDR 4 //Media Storage: Samsung... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 15 2020 7:49 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 590
    • Points 6,970

philip kapadia:

Out of interest, why would it be nuts? Because of recourses would be taken away from MC?

Half of it is 90ies mentality I guess. It used to be important to keep your windows registry slim, unbloated.

15 years ago it was still good practice to keep the number of background processes at a minimum.

Antivirus was frowned upon on edit machines.

These days you can trip over shared ressources.

GPU is prime example, firefox, word and MC can kill each other dead on a bad day.

Another risk is, if the install of one program overwrites shared .dll of another program. Is very rare but possible.

• Fri, May 15 2020 10:26 PM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 21 2006
    • Posts 81
    • Points 940

ATEM Mini looks promising when looking at the specs

specs removed because of a public disclosure of my personally identifiable information [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 15 2020 10:28 PM In reply to

Yeah Lukas, that's right on the money and then some.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller