Latest post Tue, May 12 2020 1:01 PM by Zingara. 17 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 11 2020 10:37 PM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 8 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 580

Re: video conversion for broadcast, Mastering.

Hi Pat, thank you, I really want to get this right so just want to clarify. Traditionally I understand at the end of the offline edit everything gets transcoded to the finishing codec.  I'm trying to understand the best codec for the offline given this projects range of rushes and the best pathway for it.  All the mix frame rates i get are usually highly compressed clips (H264 etc) so my take away from above conversation is transcode these at finishing codec but retain the framerate and resolution, then I have greater control to get best results.  This project often gets lot's of other rushes from A cam as well, some Sony XMF, some prores, and other more compressed codecs.  So for clips that aren't an issue, to save disk space, can I transcode at offline codec (then to finishing at end) or as tpowell mentions AMA link them and cut away. Also being aware that relinking to upRes can be an issue.

It's not uncomon for this project to have 10T+ of rushes, so trying to get a pathway that opitimizes my system during offline, as well as deal with vast range of codecs and framerates.

Mac OS 10.15.5 Processor 3.2 GHz 16_Core Intel Xeon W Graphics AMD Radeon Pro Vegas II 32 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 12 2020 8:37 AM In reply to

Basically yes. But it really depends on a number of factors. Many formats behave well so I'd be happy to transcode to an offline codec like DNx36 at the source framerate for the offline.

Then relink tback to the source and transcode to DNx185x for the online again at the source frame rate.

But for sources that are probematic and relinking later maybe an issue I'd sub clip to only the useful footage, to reduce the volume of media, transcode to DNx185x at the source frame rate and edit with that. Or then transcode to DNx36 for the offline and retain the DNx185x clips to relink to later in the online.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, May 12 2020 1:01 PM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 8 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 580

Thanks Pat, this has all been very helpful.

Mac OS 10.15.5 Processor 3.2 GHz 16_Core Intel Xeon W Graphics AMD Radeon Pro Vegas II 32 GB [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller