Latest post Thu, May 7 2020 9:17 PM by barcud. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 5 2020 7:44 PM

• barcud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 19 2008
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

Avid Remote Cloud Desktop Delivery

HI,

Im looking for a remote cloud desktop provider  to speed up my delivery process. (Due Covid, im stuck at home, with average edit gear and extreamly poor upload speed). 

Graded video mxf, final audio mix comes via ftp, all i have to do put them together, do some easy title overlay, export boadcast mxf and send them to QC via ftp. 

So my dream cloud desktop is priced by hourly, win 10pro OS desktop, aprox 100-150GB HDD, capable to install Avid, fast mixdown/ export, 1GBit uplad speed.

I did some reasearch around virtual servers :MS AZURE, AMAZON AWS, KAMATERA, etc but they have planty of plans /setup im not sure witch one is match to my expectations. Has anyone used something like this?

Any advice wellcome.

• Thu, May 7 2020 5:32 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Remote Cloud Desktop Delivery

Not sure what you are looking for is practical.

You want a cloud based virtual PC that you can install and run MC on with lcoal storage that has a faster connection to the internet?

You'd then be limited by your local bandwidth to control and playback of that remote Avid.

And running a remote Avid on a virtual PC. Not sure if thats supported.

The key points are can you install and run a virtual MC

Will that work reliably and effectively over a remote connection.

I have a virgin media domestic account at home and can download a typical UK broadcast MXF of 45 mins in 2 hours or so.

Slightly slower uploading (around 4 hrs) but that only happens at start of end of job. So managable.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, May 7 2020 9:17 PM In reply to

• barcud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 19 2008
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

Re: Avid Remote Cloud Desktop Delivery

HI,

Yep, the dream was a colud based Win10 VM, with fast cpu/gpu compute capability and 1Gbit/1Gbit up/down net.

I dont, need to edit on  the VM Media Composer, just do the video/audio import, mixdown, export, encode, etc,  and send them away to different places, using the cloud's superfast connection. So practiccally just for compute. (I have doesn of data, for this week)

BUT,

Avid doesn't run in  VM environment, only with special/custom license and only special system requirements.

I have tried on MS AZURE, and yep, it doesnt run. :-(, so i give up.

(but up/down speed was 50X faster than mine :-) )

more info:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c10850bd-c962-4b1c-9e4b-3537352a7841/avid-media-composer-on-vm?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows

https://community.avid.com/forums/AddPost.aspx?ReplyToPostID=893757&Quote=False

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller