Latest post Thu, May 7 2020 11:15 PM by philip kapadia. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 4 2020 9:30 PM

Ability to see 2 timelines at the same time!

Hi,

An important feature that would help my workflow in particular would be the ability to see two timelines on top of each other simultaneously. This would (for example) allow me to visually compare my trailer cut to the full feature film. Allowing me to simply drag and drop clips from one timeline to another, rather than faff around with show source monitor in the timeline. Adobe premiere has had this feature for years and its frustrating that avid doesn't yet have it - it's one of the many dealbreakers that stop me from moving to avid haha.

Philip 

AVID Media Composer 2020.8 With Symphony, Script Sync & Phrase Find | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 7 2020 5:25 PM In reply to

Re: Ability to see 2 timelines at the same time!

You can load a sequence into the source monitor and the second seq in your record and timeline.

You can then gang them to run along and see differences.

But generally in TV post we have guide videos we need to check against.

It would be nice but it would be structurally significant to implement in MC from what I know.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, May 7 2020 11:15 PM In reply to

Re: Ability to see 2 timelines at the same time!

Hi Pat, 

Yeah, I know that you can do that and I do use that feature often, but everyone has different workflows. I can't speak from a TV workflow perspective, but for the creative individual creating short films with multiple sequences, it's useful to visually compare the sequences. A good example of where one would use this feature would be if your client asks you to create 5 episodes, then he asks you to create a full-length film with the highlights of those episodes. In that scenario, I'd have the full-length timeline that I'm working on currently open, and ill have the episodes open above the main timeline to simply drag and drop clips and visually compare the timelines, rather than constantly toggling show source in timeline and copying and pasting. 

For me personally, this is one of my dealbreakers.

AVID Media Composer 2020.8 With Symphony, Script Sync & Phrase Find | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller