Latest post Wed, May 6 2020 7:35 PM by Adman. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 4 2020 6:46 PM

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 14,500

Can I just tell you how AMAZING my Avid is working?!

I'm doing a pop video and I am working from 27 synced layers in my timeline with about 8 layers making the final edit.  These 8 layers are a mess of NTSC framerates, 25P framerates, Long GOP 4k, and allsorts.  They have Frameflex reframes, BCC vignettes and PiP's with assorted colour correction and the odd Resize zoom in.  They all have a Matte key over the top to create the final frames.  I've been going 3 days and its crashed ONCE.  It plays so much in realtime too.

(click to enlarge)

I knock it when its bad (OMG that 'not saving my timeline all day long' horror recently....Super Angry but its nice to have the time to say that 2018.12.10 is now THE most stable and most featured Symphony version to date.  Absolutely delighted! 

Symphony 2018.12.10, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K4200, Asus X99-A Mobo, i7 5820K 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 array @ 450Mbs

• Mon, May 4 2020 6:58 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,590

Re: Can I just tell you how AMAZING my Avid is working?!

I guess not everyone is a fan of always rendering like I am.

w10, mc 2020.4, diy x299 7940x [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 4 2020 7:04 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 14,500

I did transcode some of the  Long GOP 4k stuff but generally needed to go back to the 4k so as i could Frameflex it and fix the framing. Having to always render to preview a cut is unaccpetable, unless you are charging by the hour LOL ;-)  

Symphony 2018.12.10, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K4200, Asus X99-A Mobo, i7 5820K 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 array @ 450Mbs

• Mon, May 4 2020 7:05 PM In reply to

And its not even a shiny MacPro!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, May 4 2020 7:14 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 14,500

No, but prob half the cost Pat and very customBig Smile.  The OS is on a 3000Mbps M.2 SSD.  I remember the days of 2 minute reboots and 128Mb SCSI drives that cost £1k! This thing boots in 15". Praise when its due!

• Mon, May 4 2020 8:25 PM In reply to

Wow nice!

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 4 2020 9:19 PM In reply to

Hi,

I mean, it looks good but I could do excatly the same in adobe premiere xD. I can see that you've rendered your effects on the timeline, and your probably editing this offline so there shouldn't be any surprises about the speed lol

Philip

AVID Media Composer 2020.8 With Symphony, Script Sync & Phrase Find | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 4 2020 11:51 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,240
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

DIESELE:

I knock it when its bad (OMG that 'not saving my timeline all day long' horror recently....Super Angry but its nice to have the time to say that 2018.12.10 is now THE most stable and most featured Symphony version to date.  Absolutely delighted! 

That is great to hear.

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 5 2020 10:02 AM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 14,500

philip kapadia:

Hi,

I could do excatly the same in adobe premiere xD. I can see that you've rendered your effects on the timeline, and your probably editing this offline so there shouldn't be any surprises about the speed lol

Philip

I'm sure FCP could do this too, but that isnt the point I'm making really.  It's just handling a lot, effectively and just without crashes (I always used to step in to a 4 deep nest and remove an effect with trepidation...Confused ). 

None of this is media which is 'offline' (low res transcoded proxy media) and yes of course everyone renders the final edit and bumps it up to view in full res! I've been very impressed with it indeed - it worked really well feeding the various layers from 3 sets of fast drives (450Mbps + ).

• Wed, May 6 2020 7:32 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,711
    • Points 66,965

philip kapadia:

Hi,

I mean, it looks good but I could do excatly the same in adobe premiere xD. I can see that you've rendered your effects on the timeline, and your probably editing this offline so there shouldn't be any surprises about the speed lol

Philip

First post ever for a Ryzen/GTX HW runner, obviously not running MC! An Adobe robot or a standalone troll?

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, May 6 2020 10:24 AM In reply to

Uhh, Not quite.

You are correct, this is my first post ever but you are completely wrong to assume that I can't use media composer. I'm 16 years of age and I've been teaching myself how to use media composer for 2 years now. It's been a long journey and one that probably won't stop, but I am very proficient in using both media composer and adobe premiere pro. It's been quite confusing though as the interface changed and a lot of new features were added such as UME link. If you don't believe that I'm not a real person so be it, but you can visit my website where you can learn all about me. I've done many projects with both adobe and avid, and I know which one suits my needs better. If you'd like to know why I could get into that but it would be a long reply haha.

https://philipkapadia.com/home

Philip

AVID Media Composer 2020.8 With Symphony, Script Sync & Phrase Find | Pro Tools 12 HD Windows 10 Desktop //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 6 2020 11:24 AM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 14,500

Nice timelapses Philip!

I'm still learning Avid since Version 1.0!  Its always a journey.

I'll never switch but I'm running a Zoom course on Avid in a few weeks and a colleague is doing Premiere.  Will be interesting to see where they differ.  Remember the key thing about Avid though is the scalability for large facility/broadcaster infrastructure, proper support, but yes its always been behind in user features compared to FCP/Premiere etc and the more pro-sumer biased app offerings.  Ironic and sad, but true. I still cant believe that multipass MP4 export doesnt work. That said, this latest one is working very well for me though.

Good luck on your journey - ther are few wrong choices only decisions made and all knowledge is power!

• Wed, May 6 2020 11:47 AM In reply to

Thank a lot for the kind words, DIESELE. 

I think the multi-pass export should be fixed now with the new universal media engine.. not sure though. Relying on the terrible avid media access powered by QuickTime was never very stable for me. editing with AMA link was a disaster, the only way to export was either AAF or same as source xD. 

Interesting that you talk about scalability. Adobe just released an update called adobe productions, which allow for project sharing across multiple users, similar to media composers project sharing features. However, where I feel adobe lacks is the avid media central | editorial management features, and adobe doesn't have a version of avid Nexis or ISIS servers xD, (i wish adobe did hardware). Because of my current workflow, it just does not make sense to switch to avid yet. The only way I would see myself moving to avid would be if they had better color grading tools, better audio tools (although I understand usually audio is sent to pro tools), and perhaps better media management. I would like avid to support more imput formats. I could drag nearly any format into adobe premiere and it would play it back.. in real time... i can't say the same for avid though. I WISH scrolling over clips in the bin would allow me to see a preview of the clip like it's done in premiere, that's one of the dealbreakers for me!

Having said all of this, however, I LOVE the new interface in avid media composer, snapping bins and I love some of the editing features, splicing, inserting, and how that works in mc. I also like how customizable MC is like I could change the fonts on the pannels if I wanted to xD.

Philip

• Wed, May 6 2020 1:36 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,711
    • Points 66,965

philip kapadia:
    this is my first post ever
    What an unpleasant first post attacking MC on an MC forum.
    philip kapadia:
    I'm 16 years of age and I've been teaching myself how to use media composer for 2 years now.
    I'm almost 60, took editing and Avid classes from major editors in LA, work full time on MC since 1994, never stopped learning, and do not like arrogant dudes.
    philip kapadia:
    I am very proficient in using both media composer and adobe premiere pro.
    Self taught, self given the proficient certification. Modestly.
    philip kapadia:
    If you don't believe that I'm not a real person so be it, but you can visit my website where you can learn all about me.
    I'd rather spend my time learning all about award winning editors.
    philip kapadia:
    I've done many projects with both adobe and avid, and I know which one suits my needs better. If you'd like to know why I could get into that but it would be a long reply haha.
    I do not care at all, I only find it irritating reading things like:

philip kapadia:

Hi,

Philip

it's a rather useless contribution to the discussion, or a provocation from an Adobe employee, and I won't go any further to avoid wasting time and bytes on this.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, May 6 2020 2:04 PM In reply to

Perhaps you misunderstood.

I'm not "attacking" media composer, I'm simply saying that I could do the same thing in premiere - I don't see how you could possibly relate that to attacking avid. When you say that I gave myself the proficient certification, that's based on the fact that I know how to edit sequences in media composer, Something you didn't bother finding out before you decided to post your botched comment. You simply stated that I'm "obviously not running MC!" - a childish comment based on no evidence. So in fact, you're attacking me for no apparent reason. Regarding your comment about being provoked by an adobe employee, I just find that humorous. Do you really believe that a massive conglomerate such as adobe would employ me to post on a competitors' forum? 

I likewise do not wish to continue this conversation, however, i thought it was important to portray this side of the argument. 

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller