Latest post Tue, May 12 2020 11:30 AM by morsey. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 3 2020 4:39 PM

2020.04 [Audio][defect] - random volume level changes

In Avid Media Composer 2020.04. On Catalina 10.15.4, during application startup, when selecting a project (from the project window), while the project is opening, audio playing (from any application) suddenly dips to complete silience (for a few seconds) and then comes back.

Also, switching between Avid Media Composer and any other application results in an abrupt volume level change (maybe by a few -(5-8 db)).

Tested playing YouTube video on FireFox and then switching back and forth between Avid Media Composer and other various applications.

Issue is reproducible and consistent--happening everytime and between restarts.

Note: I use a USB adapter for Audio output 'Sabrent AU-MMSA USB'. I will test with other outputs and determine if it still happens.

• Wed, May 6 2020 2:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,267
    • Points 231,935
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: 2020.04 [Audio][defect] - random volume level changes

Sean Houston:

In Avid Media Composer 2020.04. On Catalina 10.15.4, during application startup, when selecting a project (from the project window), while the project is opening, audio playing (from any application) suddenly dips to complete silience (for a few seconds) and then comes back.

Also, switching between Avid Media Composer and any other application results in an abrupt volume level change (maybe by a few -(5-8 db)).

Tested playing YouTube video on FireFox and then switching back and forth between Avid Media Composer and other various applications.

Issue is reproducible and consistent--happening everytime and between restarts.

Note: I use a USB adapter for Audio output 'Sabrent AU-MMSA USB'. I will test with other outputs and determine if it still happens.

Sean - let me know and if it does and others see the same, then I can get support to look and if a bug get it logged.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, May 11 2020 5:07 AM In reply to

Marianna.

Confirmed.

It was confirmed using my MacBook Pro with it's internal speakers-- no sound card connected.

I also tested with playing an MP3 through Quicktime player instead of a YouTube video. Same end result--audio dips down completely at project startup and then returns to normal after startup complete. However,  after the projects fully loads, sound still abruptly changes when clicking or focusing between Avid Media Composer and any other application (any app, it doesn't have to be QuickTime or a web browser on YouTube page).

In my honest opinion, please log a ticket for this as it's likely widespread.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.4.

• Tue, May 12 2020 11:30 AM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 43
    • Points 505

I have the same issue but I always thought it was Avid MC needing to take control of the system audio. If you open up system preferences and look at the Volume Output, if you click in and out of Avid the system volume (sometimes) changes. Occasionally I open Avid and it completely lowers (mutes) the system audio so then I have to unmute it. As a workaround, when opening Avid I adjust the system audio with Avid MC active then click out of Avid to adjust the system audio.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller