Latest post Wed, May 6 2020 7:35 PM by Jason Sedmak. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 3 2020 8:39 AM

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 8 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 580

NEW MAC PRO

Hello all,

I need to upgrade my system and have been looking at the new Mac Pro's.  I was was wondering if people thought they are worth the money, and if anyone has bought one. If they are, what would be are robust system to build for broadcast offline editing and grading in DeVinci?  I want to be able to comfortable handle 6-10 TerraB of offline media.

Thank you

Mac OS 10.15.5 Processor 3.2 GHz 16_Core Intel Xeon W Graphics AMD Radeon Pro Vegas II 32 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 3 2020 9:11 AM In reply to

Re: NEW MAC PRO

Personally for me not worth it. especially for offline work but even for online work its a very expensive solution. But if you want to have a nice silver case to smile at go for it.

Supporting storage doesn't require massive processing. You just need the right connectivity.

What sort of connectivity will this 10TB of storage have? you need to ensure you have that connectivity.

And how fast does that 10TB need to be? If its offline then USB3 would be fine. Otherwise possibly Thunderbolt.

I find defining that actual needs first works better than chosing a crate first.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, May 3 2020 9:39 AM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 580

Thanks Pat,  No I don't want a nice silver case to smile at, ultimately I want a work horse.  I mentioned the storage because I have found that at times my MC starts struggling when on a show and I've just been given more rushes.  I was advicede that this might be a processor issue. The other thing for me is I've always owned Mac's but I've always bought and worked worked on iMac's.  I have found that after 4-5 years they can't cope with what I need.  I was thinking of investing in a Mac Pro so that I could upgrade parts only, instead of everything!  But yeah, costs alot of money.

Mac OS 10.15.5 Processor 3.2 GHz 16_Core Intel Xeon W Graphics AMD Radeon Pro Vegas II 32 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 3 2020 2:11 PM In reply to

I've just stuck a larger boot SSD in my HP Z400 machine that has to be 10 years old and its still working fine.

Lots of media in MC won't be processor issue. Its possibly RAM and or connectivity of the media. But its not processor or speed.

As you add more and more media the databases for that media have to be loaded into RAM. I guess when the databases are really massive there could be a slight processor difference in searching them but its too marginal to measure.

Sensible media management to keep unneeded media hidden form MC makes much more impact.

I'm not sure just how many parts of the new Macpro will be sensible to upgrade in the future but hopefully they will. It certainly gives more options than an imac or macbook.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, May 3 2020 2:31 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,723
    • Points 44,690

I would only make one comment on Pat's info.  The type of codec you are getting CAN make difference in performance.  If you are given 8k Red footage, ANY system will struggle.

As Pat said, you really should clearly and coldly define your needs and move backwards from there.  And that means looking at the type of work you do as well as the kinds of media you generally (90% of the time) deal with.

Put it down in a document.  That will help you see what is really needed.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, May 4 2020 2:16 PM In reply to

• rebusfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Malmo, Sweden
    • Posts 312
    • Points 3,900

I have the Mac Pro 7,1 and I used to have a 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to dual six core 3.46 GHz and an Nvidia 980 Ti.

The setup I bought from Apple was a 16 core processor and the Vega Pro II with entry point RAM and SSD. I then upgraded to 192 GB of third party RAM and installed a 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (which gives me R/W of 3000 MB/s) via a PCIe adapter which stores my user folder and cache files. I really like the Pro Vega II but if I would buy the Mac Pro today I would probably get a single or dual Pro W5700X instead which wasn't available at the time.

There is a nice comparison over at Bare Feats: https://barefeats.com/pro-w5700x-versus-other-gpus-in-2019-mac-pro.html

I don't think it's an expensive system if you intend to use it for both editing and color grading. In DaVinci Resolve I get realtime playback to external HD monitor with 8K R3D even at Full Res High. Converting Alexa HD/2K to DNxHD 36 MXF is 16X realtime and Alexa LF to DNxHD 36 is 7X realtime. I used to toggle timeline grain on and off because of skipped frames but that is a thing of the past. Smooth as butter.

I haven't had the time to play around that much in Media Composer 2020.4 but it feels snappy and exporting timelines is super fast. Some old functionality is missing but the workarounds are fine with me. There are still some bugs here and there but I guess the experience will get a lot better after a few updates.

I had my old Mac Pro for 10 years and I will probably have the new one for just as long. It's a joy to use. 

My WFH office is upstairs and the Mac Pro sits in the HRV closet downstairs connected to a Thunderbolt QNAP and an LTO drive. I only see the shiny silver case when I turn it on in the morning. So that was not a deciding factor.

I would recommend you get the 16 core since it has a higher single core speed compared to the 24 and 28 core and it is a nice balance for price/performance.

If you don't have a client next to you while grading then get the Pro W5700X. Get at least 96 GB of RAM by upgrading yourself. Then install an NVMe using this type of adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Sintech-Adapter-Samsung-XP941-SM951/dp/B00QZ0WMK0/

Great resource for RAM upgrades here: 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/12/13/save-thousands-on-2019-mac-pro-ram-with-diy-upgrade

(I bought 6 x 32 GB RAM from Samsung: M393A4K40CB2-CVF).

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 | Mac Pro 7,1 | 16 core | 192 GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II | QNAP TVS-872XT | Decklink 4k Mini Monitor | Sony PVM-A250 OLED [view my complete system specs]

Jorgen Persson

• Mon, May 4 2020 5:13 PM In reply to

If you want to also be working in Resolve then a good GFX card is a must. Pat is right about the MacPros being too expensive but I would also say, don't get a ten year old computer either. You'll want at least PCIe 3.0 on your motherboard so you can stick a newer card in there.  The HP Z820s/Z840s are very cheap/cheap now and you can bung a tonne of RAM in them, have 2 CPUs if you want and they support PCIe 3.0. 

If you do want to stay Mac based, I'm working fine on a 2019 Macbook Pro. Using both Avid and Resolve on a daily basis with a 56TB G-RAID Shuttle connected via TB3. Can run 9 way multicam no problem. No issues and far more portable (although the lack of connectivity pains me). I believe the 2020 MBPs have been very well reviewed. 

Apple are absolutely rinsing you if you want to upgrade the MacPro through their site. Base RAM of 32GB (not enough) but to take it to 96GB is an extra grand?! Absolute joke.  Heaven forbid you want wheels on it.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 5 2020 12:05 AM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 580

Thanks Jef good idea I will.

• Tue, May 5 2020 12:07 AM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 580

Thanks so much for all that informaton and the useful links.  I'll jump on and do some more research.

Thanks again

Gwen

• Tue, May 5 2020 12:09 AM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 580

Thanks Andi.

I've got some great and useful replies and appreciate the help and advice from all.

Cheers,

Gwen

• Wed, May 6 2020 7:35 PM In reply to

There's always another way...

Hackintosh i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.6. Symphony 2019.12.0 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller