Latest post Sun, May 3 2020 9:34 AM by Pat Horridge. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 2 2020 10:54 AM

• Neil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 28 2012
    • UK
    • Posts 17
    • Points 165

MacBook Pro 16” problems

Hi, my laptop died recently so I ordered the MacBook Pro 16”. Very happy with it when it arrived until I tried to get to grips with Catalina.

I edit news packages, so we’re not generally on the cutting edge technology wise. Edit HD, P2 cards, SxS, Gopro, mobile phone etc. I was using an 8.something version of Media Composer and primarily linking stuff, some importing. No problems and quick.

I’m struggling through the various Catalina issues of not being able to bring certain things in. I can plough on looking for solutions or wait for solutions as with P2 linking but I’m not sure if that’s the right option.

I’m on the verge of sending it back and getting a refurbished 15 inch laptop with Mojave on it. Ive never used Mojave but know it’s 32 bit. Don’t really want to do this but feel stuck on either side.

If I buy a Mojave laptop will this fulfil all my news editing needs pain free again? Or should I stuck with the 16” because more solutions are coming soon?

Any thoughts appreciated. 

Macbook Pro 16, Media Composer 2020.4, Catalina [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 2 2020 1:02 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

Re: MacBook Pro 16” problems

Neil:
    I’m struggling through the various Catalina issues of not being able to bring certain things in.

The issues or limitations lie with Avid Media Composer 2020.4. Yes, we've all heard Apple dropped 32bit in Catalina, therefore removing MC's dependency on Quicktime, but that's an argument of the past. Catalina has been stable with all other software I use on a Macbook Pro 16 which is 6 months old.

I guess you gotta go with what works in order to get your work done. I'm sure Avid are working on the next release, but it may be a long and drawn out process like the support for Catalina.

• Sat, May 2 2020 3:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Morsey....

True to some extent.... in that we are trying to get away for the QT dependancies and have gotten away from 32 bit support so each release will get better as can be seem with Titler + and I am certain will continue with UME.  Most dont consider the VAST amount of compatiblity that we must cover from older versions of MC thru to current ones and NEXIS, ISIS, Interplay and a HOST of workflows that people expecta dn need to work.   

Its a process.... like you said.  Just hope its not a long one :)

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 3 2020 9:34 AM In reply to

The changes in Catalina (not just dropping of QT but all 32bit support) isn't just limited to MC there are hundreds of applications that nolonger work. Many never will be updated and many more (as of April 2020 still await updates)

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-10-15-catalina-compatibility-list/

So its important users of Catalina systems ensure every application they need to use has full support. I say full support becuase as with MC 2020.4 many have varying levels of support with reduced features.

Also the previous OS wasn't 32bit it was 64bit but it supported 32bit apps just as Windows 10 still does.

Its this removale of 32bit support that is the issue.

And yes this has been a big hill to climb for Avid as many of the 32bit features worked just fine in MC they didn't need to be 64bit (even today they work fine in windows 10) so this re-engineering of MC is having to be done just to allow support on Current Apple systems. Development is having to be split between evolving and improving the product and responding to Apples dropping of 32bit support.

As a PC user it would have suited me for Avid to drop Apple support and save all that effort. 

So to the OP yes its not perfect yet but there are ways to resolve most workflows currently.

It may help to detail specifically whats formats are causing issues as there may well be solutions.

Currently, for an easy life, I don't reccomend using Catalina for Media Composer unless there are Catalina features you have to have.

If you have an option to make your life easier with an earlier OS that would be the route I'd take.

In the future things will have moved on but today its cutting edge and who needs the blood!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

The changes in Catalina (not just dropping of QT but all 32bit support) isn't just limited to MC there are hundreds of applications that nolonger work. Many never will be updated and many more (as of April 2020 still await updates)

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-10-15-catalina-compatibility-list/

So its important users of Catalina systems ensure every application they need to use has full support. I say full support becuase as with MC 2020.4 many have varying levels of support with reduced features.

Also the previous OS wasn't 32bit it was 64bit but it supported 32bit apps just as Windows 10 still does.

And yes this has been a big hill to climb for Avid as many of the 32bit features worked just fine in MC they didn't need to be 64bit (even today they work fine in windows 10) so this re-engineering of MC is having to be done just to allow support on Current Apple systems. Development is having to be split between evolving and improving the product and responding to Apples dropping of 32bit support.

As a PC user it would have suited me for Avid to drop Apple support and save all that effort. 

So to the OP yes its not perfect yet but there are ways to resolve most workflows currently.

It may help to detail specifically whats formats are causing issues as there may well be solutions.

Currently, for an easy life, I don't reccomend using Catalina for Media Composer unless there are Catalina features you have to have.

If you have an option to make your life easier with an earlier OS that would be the route I'd take.

In the future things will have moved on but today its cutting edge and who needs the blood!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller