Latest post Tue, Jun 16 2020 6:30 AM by camx-media. 83 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 30 2020 2:10 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 323
    • Points 3,835

Re: Intel v AMD for MC

camx-media:
    850w power supply

FYI go to corsair or any qualified power supply manufacture and input your components in their PSU evaluation  and see what they recommend in wattage.  I will be using a 1050 watt power supply in my build -which is very similar to yours.   Platinum.  Now 850 might be sufficent but in case one wants to upgrade i was advised by system builders to go above.  At some point I might be using a higher wattage video card - additional raids -external componenets so I wanted to be sure I had enough power.  I also wanted a a good power supply with a good warranty. 

L

Symphony 2020.8 - Win 10 pro (1909),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X cpu, Quadro P2000, 64gig memory, 1TB NV ystem drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor, 11.7 drivers... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 1 2020 5:44 PM In reply to

Thanks for the heads up. Total wattage works out at 625w on pc part picker.com. 

Might push it out to a 1000w just to be safe. 

*****Stay Tuned***** [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2020 12:06 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,382
    • Points 54,130

Power Supplies work most effectively between 60~80 percent  load. I think 800 ~ 850 is your point.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.10. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 18/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 4:44 AM In reply to

• Trensharo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 27 2018
    • Posts 13
    • Points 155

What PSU you need heavily relies on what components you use. There are Ryzen and Intel CPUs that use 65-95W and others that can use 200W or more. Then there's the MOBO, Drives, GPU(s), etc. 

a Ryzen 7/9 System (or comparable Intel) with 3 drives and 1 GPU should be more than fine with 800W. People getting i9s and Threadrippers and/or running multiple GPUs should play safe and go with 1K. 

If you think you may upgrade later, go with 1K. PSUs suck to pull out and replace/upgrade unless they're fully modular.  

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:42 PM In reply to

Trensharo:

What PSU you need heavily relies on what components you use. There are Ryzen and Intel CPUs that use 65-95W and others that can use 200W or more. Then there's the MOBO, Drives, GPU(s), etc. 

a Ryzen 7/9 System (or comparable Intel) with 3 drives and 1 GPU should be more than fine with 800W. People getting i9s and Threadrippers and/or running multiple GPUs should play safe and go with 1K. 

If you think you may upgrade later, go with 1K. PSUs suck to pull out and replace/upgrade unless they're fully modular.  

Thanks to all of you for your input. Have gone for a platinum 1300w seasonic fully modular platinium PSU. bit over the top but will future proof me if i add more drives and or cards. 

If any of you are interested the final component list is as follows. 

BE QUIET - Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 BGW14 E-ATX Full Tower PC Case - Black & Silver

Corsair 64GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz RAM/Memory Kit 4x

16GB

Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300 Watt Full Modular 80+ Platinum PSU/Power

Supply

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5” SATA 3D Nand SSD/Solid State Drive - for boot drive

be quiet Dark Rock PRO 4 250W Intel/AMD Air CPU Cooler

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB AORUS XTREME Turing Graphics Card

2 x Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Performance SSD/Solid State Drive - for a scratch raid

Dell UltraSharp 49inch Curved Monitor - U4919DW 

Windows 10 Professional Creators Edition 32/64-bit USB Drive

Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G E-ATX Motherboard

Intel 12 Core i9 10920X Unlocked Cascade Lake-X CPU/Processor OEM

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 8:49 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 323
    • Points 3,835

Please let us know how things went in the build.  I will be upgrading to some of the same compnents you are using - interested in the gigbyte 299X DesignareMB  BTW which one did you get?  I noticed two on their site - I think the X299X is the newer one for CoreX although the other one says it will work.   What i am really interested in knowing is how well the thundebolt performs and is there any issues with drivers etc.

FYI in reserching coolors/AIO some coolers with fans extend over the memory on motherboards - D115 does this

you probably checked but if you did not see if the air cooler will not affect your ability to get to your memory.

Please keep us posted

Symphony 2020.8 - Win 10 pro (1909),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X cpu, Quadro P2000, 64gig memory, 1TB NV ystem drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor, 11.7 drivers... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2020 10:31 PM In reply to

Will Do. 

Orderd today so should have all the bits by weekend i hope. Then the fun begins. 

On the MB side its the x299x 10gig lan version which is the newest version.

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X299X-DESIGNARE-10G-rev-10#kf

Interesting ot comes with a pcie expansion card for M.2 drives included in the box. Im not sure it total usefulness given the MB already has 3 M.2 slots but will no doubt find out. 

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 11:02 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 591
    • Points 6,995

Mercer:

Hp claims there are up to 4 million possible configurations for the ZBook alone - is it really an exageration?

Yes. There’s 2 or3 different cpu lines in those laptops, the different cpu models in each line are identical to the system except for speed. There’s only one chipset being used throughout all Zbooks. 20 dozen card readers to choose from doesn’t make for fundamentally different systems.

LDV20:

Asus Prime X299 delux II - has 44 lanes: www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-DELUXE-II/specifications/

Yeah, but the layout is not optimal.
    You can’t install normal 2 slot GPU without losing 1x pci-e access.

I like the lanes on this board, holy moly:
    https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X11SPA-TF

Adman:

Well said, Mercer. Running a business has enough headaches as it is. When hiring an editor, I wouldn't be hiring a computer techie,

Absolutely! And those of us who have cpu cycles in our veins can enjoy maintaining our own machines.
    Unless we need too many, then our hobby would become a nuisance.

TVJohn:

Power Supplies work most effectively between 60~80 percent  load. I think 800 ~ 850 is your point.

Seconded. Oversizing is good, but at some point it becomes useless. 850W high end corsair is very adequate.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 3 2020 1:37 PM In reply to

• B3n3d1kt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 24 2020
    • Germany
    • Posts 13
    • Points 130

Another advantage of q qualified system is that the chance of getting replacement parts even after 4 or 5 years is higher.

camx-media:

Corsair 64GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz RAM/Memory Kit 4x

16GB

Why such slow RAM? Cascake Lake X officially supports 2933 and the RAM controller should under normal conditions be able to run at least 3200.

camx-media:

Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300 Watt Full Modular 80+ Platinum PSU/Power

Supply

Total Overkill. A decent 850W 80+ Platinum is enough. And you would also have enough head room for drives and card (except an additional GPU)!

camx-media:

2 x Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Performance SSD/Solid State Drive - for a scratch raid

[...]

Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G E-ATX Motherboard

Please check the manual page 8 (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x299x-designare-10g_e_1002.pdf). Only one onboard M.2 is directly connected with the CPU. So you should better put the drives inside the PCIe card.

I think that you need to buy a VROC key to run a RAID.

LDV20:

I noticed two on their site - I think the X299X is the newer one for CoreX although the other one says it will work.  

X299X has been introduced with Cascade Lake X. There are no (big) changes compared with X299. But better go with X299X because then you have for sure a mainboard with updated VRMs and cooling.

LDV20:

FYI in reserching coolors/AIO some coolers with fans extend over the memory on motherboards - D115 does this

AIO should not interfere with RAM slots at all.

Noctua website NH-D15 for X299 Designare EX:

The cooler is extending over the top PCI-E x16 slot, so please use the other available PCI-E slot(s) for your video card(s).

When I compare the X299 Designare EX with the X299X Designare 10G it looks like there is more space between the CPU and the first PCIe slot that it might work.

LDV20N:

you probably checked but if you did not see if the air cooler will not affect your ability to get to your memory.

Corsair Vengeance has a very small cooler adding only a minimum height, so it should be no problem.

MC 2019.12 (Win 10 1909) custom Workstation: AMD Threadripper 3960X (NH-U14S TR4-SP3 + NF-A15), ASUS TRX40-E Gaming, 64GB DDR4-3200 Corsair, MSI RTX 2070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 3 2020 2:58 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 591
    • Points 6,995

B3n3d1kt:

Why such slow RAM? Cascake Lake X officially supports 2933 and the RAM controller should under normal conditions be able to run at least 3200.

2933 is enough, There’s currently no benefit for overclocking RAM on Intel systems.

B3n3d1kt:

M2: I think that you need to buy a VROC key to run a RAID.

That is correct, Intel currently charges 100$ to unlock the Raid function. And then it only works with Intel drives. Why? Cause they a-holes.
    And there is no benefit with raid-0 for an M2 system drive. 6GB/s instead of 3GB/s don’t make any OS perform better.
    If you want SSD Raid for data, look into cheap hardware controllers and U2 Drives.

Normal 0 21 false false false DE-AT X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 3 2020 2:59 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 591
    • Points 6,995

B3n3d1kt:

2933 is enough, There’s currently no benefit for overclocking RAM on Intel systems.

B3n3d1kt:

M2: I think that you need to buy a VROC key to run a RAID.

That is correct, Intel currently charges 100$ to unlock the Raid function. And then it only works with Intel drives. Why? Cause they a-holes.
    And there is no benefit with raid-0 for an M2 system drive. 6GB/s instead of 3GB/s don’t make any OS perform better.
    If you want SSD Raid for data, look into cheap hardware controllers and U2 Drives.

• Wed, Jun 3 2020 6:06 PM In reply to

All very good points thankyou. 

Few points that i have found while pre planning this although i could be wring on some bits. 

Firstly not looking to overclock. 

The Gigabyte 10g motherboard only supports up to 2666 ram i believe.. Was told by 2 different system configs that there was no benefit to faster ram as it would be limited to the 2666 anyway on this MB. Perhaps completley wrong advise so happy to be corrected. 

So the Gigabyte 10g MB comes with a pcie raid card included. Its the AORUS Gen4 AIC Adaptor for Extra 4*PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe M.2 Sockets. Now im honest when i say im not up to speed with this but have seen some revievs saying you can set up raid m.2s with this? Again may or may not be relevent. Wasnt aware of the vroc unlock issue so Will soon see. 

The cooler i have chosen does have iissues with tall ram so have gone for a low profile. 

Have built 2 systems in the past both of which were mid spec systems that have lasted well. This is a step up so no doubt there will be some teething issues but again tkme will tell. 

The PSU was a real pain in the due to availability. May be a covid related issue but 90% of the good name PSU's above 750W are out of stock across most of the big retailers. I was looking for a PSU between 800 and 1000W but it was like finding hens teeth. Have gone overkill with the 1300w but was about the best of what was available. 

Thanks all. 

• Wed, Jun 3 2020 9:32 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,382
    • Points 54,130

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.10. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 18/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, Jun 4 2020 2:03 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 591
    • Points 6,995

camx-media:

The Gigabyte 10g motherboard only supports up to 2666 ram

I'm still inclined to get 2933. If you use it on a board that only supports 2666 it will run at that speed.
    2933 is standard in this generation, this ram will be neater to repurpose down the road. and costs the same.

camx-media:

So the Gigabyte 10g MB comes with a pcie raid card included.

hmm, thread with caution. If it needs a driver to install an OS, I wouldn't wanna install an OS on it. It's just a hassle.
    Can imaging software read it? What if the raid card fails, do you have any way to boot? Complexity & danger w/o benefit.
    Raid for data drives is okay. and then, with our use case, you have to look for SSDs that can diliver sustained throughput rather than just a short peak. Which isn't most consumer drives. Maybe samsung pro series idk.

• Thu, Jun 4 2020 7:41 AM In reply to

Again great input  thankyou. 

Ram wise i get where ypur coming from but i wont be looking to upgrade other than adding extra ram for a long time after this build. All components out for delivery today so will think about sending back the 2666 for faster....

Yes the pcie card would be bad to install os on im feeling. I have included a samsung 2.5inch ssd 2tb in the build which will house the OS and program files on a partition. 

Do any of you have an opinion on super wide screen monitors for editing? I have gone for the Dell 4919dw super wide screen 2k. Its the least curved of all the big beast screens out there so im hoping it will work out ok. 

Page 5 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller