Latest post Tue, Jun 16 2020 10:35 PM by Sean Houston. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 1 2020 3:28 PM

Avid Media Composer & DaVinci Resolve Round Trip Bug/Defect

Avid Media Composer: 2020.04.0

DaVinci Resolve: 16.2.1.017

Encountered error during a round trip workflow: Avid Media Composer to DaVinci and then back to Avid Media Composer. Issue occurs while importing DaVinci AAF back into Media Composer to complete the round trip.

YouTube Video documenting all steps necessary to reproduce issue entirely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSTNd2s2l4

Steps to reproduce:

1. Import clips in Avid Media Composer and create sequence.
    2. Export sequence to AAF (video only workflow, drop audio).
    3. Import AAF into DaVinci Resolve (swap out low resolution clips for BRAW as needed).

4. Apply grade and Deliver 'Avid AAF' basic settings (unique file names).

5. Import AAF into Avid Media Composer (step produces error).

Note: Also tried using /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/0/ (folders) import method.

Online posts seem to suggest it's a fairly common workflow and should be supported.

Issue appears to be in Avid Media Composer, but could be file produced by AAF Resolve, so covering all basis here.

Error messages in Avid Media Composer (in order of appearing):

Encountered exception 'Exception: CM_LABEL_NOT_UNIQUE, tt:2, lnum:2' Do you want to continue import?

Assertion failed: (track)!=0 File:/Builds/workspace/MC/Release_Installer_Git/Mac_Build/coresw/ame/src/Consumers/Devices/AMAFIProducerUtils.cpp, Line:199

Exception: FATAL_ERROR, msg:Assertion failed: (track)!=0 File:/Builds/workspace/MC/Release_Installer_Git/Mac_Build/coresw/ame/src/Consumers/Devices/AMAFlProducerUtils.cpp, Line:199

Exception: CM_LABEL_NOT_UNIQUE, tt:2, lnum:2

Avid Log File Contains entries:

------- Import error log start --------
    Clip (internal): A001_04281819_C003
        Track: 3
            ERROR:            [           0 ] ***Error = 'Exception: CM_LABEL_NOT_UNIQUE, tt:2, lnum:2'.
    Clip (internal): A001_04281831_C008
            ERROR:            [           0 ] ***Error = 'Exception: CM_LABEL_NOT_UNIQUE, tt:2, lnum:2'.
    Clip (internal): A001_04281816_C001
    --------- Import error log end ---------
    PreReads will bias DueTime by 0.000000 seconds.
    Reloading plugin: AudioCodecManager.avx
    Reloading plugin: CMAvidMPEG1Layer2AudioCodec.avx

Media Files:

• Mon, May 4 2020 4:19 AM In reply to

Re: Avid Media Composer & DaVinci Resolve Round Trip Bug/Defect

Have you tried NOT rendering audio out of Resolve? That error alludes to a mismatching audio codec. 

Hackintosh i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.6. Symphony 2019.12.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 4 2020 11:47 PM In reply to

Yes. In the YT video I posted above, I deselect the export audio option when delivering from Resolve. Are you able to reproduce this error Jason?

I would feel a lot better knowing this is widespread—a known issue impacting all users. Then, we'll be one step closer to acknowledging the defect and getting a fix in.

I was able to find solace by exporting individual graded files from Resolve, copying those to a bin in Avid Media Composer, where the 'relink' feature swapped 'all selected clips in bins' with the footage out of resolve. This is somewhat satisfactory, but not a complete solution.

• Wed, May 6 2020 1:45 PM In reply to

Ugh, sorry, I didn't read all of your methodology. I am running Mojave on my systems but when I get a chance today I will give it a go for you. 
    can you send me your AAFs? I don't need the media, but I'd like the one generated out of AVID, and the one out of Resolve.

Hackintosh i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.6. Symphony 2019.12.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 6 2020 2:24 PM In reply to

I've had similar errors before but can normally just continue through them and the AAF comes in.

It seems to be related to MC trying to create new entreis in its media databases for clips its already aware of.

Maybe trashing the AMA databases before trying the import of the Resolve AAF into MC?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, May 6 2020 3:38 PM In reply to

Okay, couple of things:

First, let me say I don't EVER use the "round-trip workflow" going from AVID to Resolve and back. For YEARS I always export the AAF, then in Resolve link to the originals, render the new color-graded clips only (no AAF), then in AVID, link to those new files, then relink using "Selected Items in Bins." This method has always worked best for me on many many levels, so I apologize if my "round-trip" methodology either isn't the way you do it, or is different in AVID 2019.12 vs 2020.

Second, I will install 2020 and do the test for you as well, but my first impressions on my system had a good amount of issues.

Now, how did you make your proxy edit files off of the bRAW? This to me could matter, because how you made them and what you made them into can affect the workflow. In my test, I made DNxHD QT proxies using Resolve, linked to them in a new AVID project, edited them into a sequence, then went to export an AAF.

Now here's where a difference arose, using my steps, I could NOT NOT include the audio in the AAF because my proxies were multi-essence, so I was forced to include audio in the AAF creation. If you can provide some clarity on your steps here, that could help. Perhaps this difference is a clue to what's going on here, in that the multi-essence flag thing was either corrected in 2020 or created a bug.

Next, in Resolve, I imported the AAF, set it to automatically link, deleted the proxies in the media pool, manually brought in the bRAWs, colored, then went to the Deliver page -- just like you did. I also selected the defacto AVID template, and left the MXF Atom codec as it defaulted (MXF OP-Atom, DNxHR 444 12-bit). I also went to the Audio tab and deselected Audio.

Now in AVID 2019 (perhaps it's different in 2020), if you drag the AAF from the finder into a new bin like you did, yes, it brings in the AAF and the clip metadata, but the Resolve render clips are offline, and thus, the resultant timeline has offline material. Historically, I do believe the correct way to do it (possibly prior to 2020) is to relocate the Resolve renders to your managed MXF folder in the finder. Doing this relocation of Resolve renders prior to the dragging in the AAF results in the timeline linking correctly to the Resolve renders. One could also manually AMA link to them, but this is not the ideal. Furthermore, in my example, since I was forced to include the audio in the AVID AAF export, my Resolve AAF passively passes those tracks back (even though I chose not to inlcude the Audio in the render) and I ALSO get three already linked proxy clips for the audio in the sequence in that new bin. Again, the audio carrying through passively is all due to the AVID export settings I was forced to use, and the reason why I'd like to know how and to what you generated your proxies, as well as to see your AAFs because it could shed some light on the error you are getting when you try to bring the Resolve AAF back (again, seems to be referencing an Audio mismatch). I do see in your youTube video, that your imported Resolve timeline does NOT have audio clips, so this is curious.

Perhaps, try your workflow USING audio in the AVID AAF export creation, and see what happens. If we can rule something out through this process, we can start moving on differences/bugs with 2020.

Jason

• Wed, May 6 2020 3:53 PM In reply to

Sorry, as a note, I rewatched what you did, and noticed you didn't drag the AAF into AVID from the Finder, but from the SourceBrowser, which DOES in fact bring in the Resolve renders without having to move them into the MXF folder. Neat. However, on my system, no errors result, it works perfectly, so I further emphasize we should look at the proxies/AAF creation stuff first.

J

• Mon, May 11 2020 5:38 AM In reply to

Jason Sedmak:
    Now, how did you make your proxy edit files off of the bRAW? This to me could matter, because how you made them and what you made them into can affect the workflow

The proxies are Apple ProRes 422 Proxy. They were delivered as individual clips from DaVinci Resolve. The original camera source material was BRAW 4K DCI. To create these files, all clips/dailies were placed into a resolve timeline where a minimal color grade was applied and then delivered individually through resolve with basic settings.

To my knowledge, Avid supports Apple ProRes 422 Proxy files as they import, export and edit perfectly.

Jason Sedmak:
    I could NOT NOT include the audio in the AAF because my proxies were multi-essence, so I was forced to include audio in the AAF creation. If you can provide some clarity on your steps here, that could help. Perhaps this difference is a clue to what's going on here, in that the multi-essence flag thing was either corrected in 2020 or created a bug.

No issue with this here. When exporting the sequence to AAF, I can select video/audio and an various options I deem necessary, therefore I'm not seeing the issue. Almost always, I reduce the timeline down to a single video track and remove all audio. I'm left with a sequence that only has a single video track with the Apple ProRes 422 Proxy files going out to DaVinci. I've tried exporting with a single audio clip to no avail.

Jason Sedmak:
    I also selected the defacto AVID template, and left the MXF Atom codec as it defaulted (MXF OP-Atom, DNxHR 444 12-bit).

Same. I rarely modify the DaVinci settings for the AAF export. I sometimes change the codec to something more simple, but I'm not doing anything out the ordinary. I've tried to exclude audio from the AAF export and it doesn't make much of a difference.

Jason Sedmak:
    why I'd like to know how and to what you generated your proxies, as well as to see your AAFs because it could shed some light on the error you are getting when you try to bring the Resolve AAF back.

I've described the proxy generation above. Keep in mind I do swap out the Apple ProRes 422 Proxies in DaVinci for BRAW original source and then render those out using the AAF settings which result in generated MXF video files (with DNxHR codec). When the AAF comes back into Avid, it should have the MXF references on the sequence which it does. And I can view the timeline from DaVinci with the MXFs and it plays and edits but the errors appear all over. I've also tried the import method using the MXF folder and adding /1. It doesn't make much of a difference and I get the same error.

Jason Sedmak:
    Perhaps, try your workflow USING audio in the AVID AAF export creation, and see what happens. If we can rule something out through this process, we can start moving on differences/bugs with 2020.

I've tried this. Including audio doesn't change the error produced when importing the AAF back into Avid Media Composer.

I could try using DNxHR proxies as opposed to Apple ProRes 422 Proxy. Maybe I won't get the errors on import back to Avid Media Composer. But using the Apple ProRes 422 Proxy consistently produces the error described in the original posting. I've tried every combination I can think of in the AAF export settings from both Avid and DaVinci.

Sending the AAF file from DaVinci won't really help you. I've tried importing the offending AAF from DaVinci resolve into a brand new Avid Media Composer project and it still produces the error described above, however, it only appears once and never again. This leads me to believe these assumptions:

1. The original proxy material was imported in to Avid Media Composer. It was put on a timeline and Avid is aware of it.
    2. The AAF import from DaVinci Resolve causes new generated MXF (DNxHR) footage to import and Avid because aware of that.
    3. There is some kind of conflict in the database storing these files and errors keep popping up when doing any manipulations in the project like switching between sequences or making edits.
    4. Importing the AAF in a brand new project, the error only appears once, never again, therefore this conflict isn't happening, because the proxies don't exist in the brand new project only the DaVinci generated MXF (DNxHR).

• Mon, May 11 2020 10:16 AM In reply to

Don't forget Media Composer creates and manages databases of all media on a system. Reguardless of project.

So an entity being ingested in that carries metadata that MC has seen before, even in a different project, can cause these errrors.

Basically you are trying to tell MC this is a new database item and yet MC can see that item as listed already (even if in a different project) hence the errors. But once you say ignore it just doesn't update the datebase (I assume)

I suspect strongly that re-ingesting into a different MC on a different system won't see those errors.

Possibly trashing the media datanases (including the AMA ones) may also work.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, May 11 2020 4:47 PM In reply to

Pat, thank you for taking the time to reply and suggest deleting the caches. How?

Please note, I do not use the MXF/1 method/strategy therefore I do have .pmr/.mdb files in the respective import locations. I drop media into bins from the `source browser.` Does a global cache file exist or some option in the software to remove them?

Jason, thank you for replying with details. How was upgrading to 2020.04? I've had various quriks and issues that have been unpleaseant at times. Honestly, my workflow is broken, hopefully it's resolved soon.

• Mon, May 11 2020 4:58 PM In reply to

I'm in the process of trying the workflow with ProRes Proxy first, and just noticed I still have the multi-essence requirement when creating the AAF out of AVID, so bear with me on that.

As far as 2020.04, I installed it awhile ago, and had some pretty big issues with linked material having black frames, and considering I have SO many current on-going projects, I just uninstalled and went back to 2019, so I haven't yet tried your workflow with 2020.04, but I will as soon as I have the time.

I believe Pat is referring to the AMA Management Database that's located in Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/AMA Management/AMA Metadata Folders. You'll see a large directory structure there that keeps track of all that's been indexed. If you'd like to toss it for your testing purposes, be advised everything will require re-indexing, so you could just pull that folder out and save it so that you can test with a clean database. Then move it back in when you're done, but no promises on how well that will work. It may or may not be a big deal to re-index given your situation, and I find the easiest way is to open up the Source-Browser and navigate to whatever needs to relink and let it index. You'll find the linked media just automagically relinks when doing this, but it can be a bit time-consuming if you have a LOT of source folders across many projects like I do.

Best,

• Mon, May 11 2020 7:06 PM In reply to

Sean,

It's confirmed, in 2020.4, I experience the error. Further, as I suspected, the same exact export AAF proceedure in 2020.4 does NOT give you the multi-essence error when creating the AAF out of AVID, thus, to me, THIS is the root of the problem.

Since I totally wiped my machine of ALL Avid installs (I was finally able to get 2020.4 to work fully by doing this), once I clicked past the first "Encountered exception" error, it relinked the Resolve AAF and the media was totally fine afterwards (probably because I also had a completely fresh AMA database -- well, I did have a database from the initial AVID project that created the 1st AAF off of the proxies).

I did an extra test for ya where I created the AAF this time by including Audio in the AAF out of AVID. All the same steps in Resolve, including NOT rendering audio. The first time I dragged the AAF that Resolve generated into a new bin via Source Browser it didn't automatically link, so I deleted everything in the bin and tried it again. The second time it relinked as expected, and I received NO error. Therefore, I suggest you incorporate this method as a work around, and contact AVID regarding the multi-essence AAF export to get their take on what is happening (bug report or??). Or, consider the workflow I employ which is not using a round-trip AAF from Resolve and manually relink to the AMA linked Resolve renders using AVID's "Relink Only to Selected Items in all Open Bins." What I like about this method is that you can employ ALL AVID timeline editorial (mofx, effects, transitions, FrameFlex info, etc.) and not rely on the AAF coming back from Resolve. Reach out if you need clarification on any of that. In the meantime, since I haven't had any luck getting my Blackmagic I/O to work (11.5.1 doesn't acknowledge AVID 2020 as supported), I'm going to wipe everything off, and return to 2019. Good luck! Jason
  • Mon, May 11 2020 8:50 PM In reply to

Boy, what a relief. Jason, can't thank you enough for confirming. You went through a lot of trouble. I appreciate it much. Hopefully, you can get things all squared away to upgrade to 2020.04--good luck with that.

Currently, I am using the 'relink' method in Avid as a workaround to relink the graded footage from DaVinci Resolve. I use the individual file export in DaVinci and do not export the AAF as this is broken at the moment using the workflow we tested.

I have yet to test this workflow using MXF (DNxHR/HD) proxies as opposed to Apple ProRes. 

What do you mean by "multi essence error?"

I think the root of the issue we've tested above has something to do with removing "audio tracks." The Apple ProRes proxy files, .mov, contain embedded audio (scratch track from camera). When we try and separate the video from the audio embedded inside the .mov file, there is some issue. Remember, on the timeline, we're making an edit and thus removing the 'audio' tracks (scratch track embedded inside the .mov). So we are only keeping the video and disgarding the audo from the proxy file, .mov when we edit our sequence. Something about removing 'audio' tracks causes this issue. If you keep audio and make no audio edits to the timeline it will probably export and import without issue.

I'm currently in communication with Avid support so we'll see how that goes. First time so not sure what to expect. I just don't want the entire thing dismissed as 'cannot reproduce.'

Take care. If you uncover anything new regarding this let me know.

• Mon, May 11 2020 9:34 PM In reply to

Sean Houston:
    What do you mean by "multi essence error?"

It's an error relating to the attempt to export partial packages of a linked file that contains both audio and video, but does not apply to managed media, only linked media. The workflow is to always include both packages:

I can't seem to find an image hosting url that will let me post the screen grab...

• Mon, May 11 2020 9:37 PM In reply to

Apparently this forum doesn't take google photos linx.

Maybe this?

multi-essence erro

...nope... I give up

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller